6 Posts

Shift: The Single Card CCG» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions about Akira, Dingo, and shifting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
E Nigma
msg tools
mbmb
Just got the game yesterday and have been going through a few test games to see how it plays before introducing it to my coworker this afternoon. Some situations came up that I'd like to clarify.

1. With Akira's G2L: do I copy the opponents attack/defense when I activate the ability? Does it remain constant or change during the next players round?

2. With regard to Dingo, if I flip a modifier that doesn't have a crit. but I do it in the right order, does it count as a crit. for the purposes of his special ability?

3. Am I allowed to downshift one gear as a part of my shift phase?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hernandez
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC60jOuYKt-7X3Jk2QR7N94A
badge
Cards and Cardboard (CnC) Reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
1.(A) I believe it is when you use the attack regardless if it crits, I don't have the card in front of me but if is a delta power then it starts automatically when shifted to that state. (b)Abilities you use that buff or debuff continue until your next start phase.

2. May need to rephrase: Crits happen when the correct coin faces or amount paid is done in the right order. If there is no crit icon than there is no crit and you may be reading a delta ability.

3. If you like. Considering that moving up to 3rd isn't very useful unless you have the spirit to spend on an attack. But it is more effective if you just attack from 2nd as you will automatically shift down to 1st after the attack or active/spirit guard unless you crit or have an ability that allows you to upshift or prevent the downshift.

I hope these help. And anyone please correct me if I am wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Piovezan
Brazil
JundiaĆ­
SP
flag msg tools
mb
Methinks Akira just copies the enemy's current attack and defense, and maintains that value, otherwise the other player would be able to manipulate your attack/defense.

Thar raises a second question: does he copy just the base values, or the enemy's mods as well? That second gear of his has the crappiest base values of the game, and there's a 50% chance he'll fail the activation, and will have to stick to them. There has to be a high reward to compensate for that high risk, so yeah, he copies the enemy's modded values.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
Akira's rule that allows him to copy an opponents attack and defense is a modifier. So it lasts until the beginning of your next turn. This makes it useful for offense and defense, as you can be in gear 1 after attacking and still have a rocking defense.

For Dingo, while I think the official ruling is that he cannot shift if he does not have a crit, I find him weaker than the other characters and have house ruled that he does. Because his ability only works 50% of the time, not being able to use it all the time makes the odds even worse.

You can downshift, this is a good part of the strategy. Sometimes you will shift to gear 3 even if you cannot use its attack for the superior stats and flexibility of going to either gear 2 position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Piovezan
Brazil
JundiaĆ­
SP
flag msg tools
mb
Rook96 wrote:
You can downshift, this is a good part of the strategy. Sometimes you will shift to gear 3 even if you cannot use its attack for the superior stats and flexibility of going to either gear 2 position.

But you can attack in gear 3, even if you can't use the omega mod, right? The rules say: "The attacking player must now attempt to activate their
chosen modifier. If a player does not successfully activate their modifier, skip the mod resolution subphase." So it would be like, you try to activate the mod, but you can't cause you don't have spirit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
BozoDel wrote:
Rook96 wrote:

But you can attack in gear 3, even if you can't use the omega mod, right? The rules say: "The attacking player must now attempt to activate their
chosen modifier. If a player does not successfully activate their modifier, skip the mod resolution subphase." So it would be like, you try to activate the mod, but you can't cause you don't have spirit.

Yes you are right, you can attack in gear 3 even if you cannot pay for your mod - my choice of words was poor. Some characters (like the raptor) have a fantastic Attack in gear 3 and make it totally worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.