6 Posts

Thunderstone Advance: Numenera» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cyphers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joke Dyckmans
Belgium
flag msg tools
When you use a cypher for its ability, do you put it back or can you keep it? Is it like a familiar, where you must have the xp but not destroy it?
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Danish
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We assumed / played that you put it back so that it was a real cost / difficult decision. It made it a fun tension. Not sure if that was the intention, but I think so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Tan
Australia
Townsville
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not being too helpful, but in the RPG the game is based off, cyphers are one-time use items. Maybe it applies in the deck-building game as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvie Jarriell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While it would have been nice if they had just said it outright, there is nothing in the rules that implies you keep them when you use the for abilities.

In the rulebook, they talk about discarding used XP tokens, and it would make seem you use a Cypher for it's ability. I would think they are use for either XP or it's special ability and then return it to the bag.

While the game looks great (can't wait to play it), their handling of Cyphers could have been better:

1. No clear explanation of how they are used, not even in the play example.
2. No quick reference for the colors except buried in the rules, it should be on the back of book's play reference, and/or on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M. Baker
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Yes, they are intended to be "one-shot boosts", and therefore discarded after use. I was one of the editors of the rules, so it's on me that this isn't more clear. I apologize for the confusion.

Think of each cypher as having the following ability:

Cypher wrote:
Village/Dungeon: If this is the first cypher you have used this turn, discard this XP token to [insert cypher ability corresponding to cypher color].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvie Jarriell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanx for the clarification. And the rest of the rules appear very clear and well put together.

Thank you for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.