Hide
6 Posts

A Study in Emerald» Forums » Rules

Subject: Counter assassination and madness tokens rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcel Kaul
msg tools
The old version of the rules states that you even take a madness token if the assassination or hiding fails. I cannot find this in the new rules. Is it still true?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordi Ferrer
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Once you have carried out the assassination (...) You must now draw
one Sanity counter." (p.10)

So, I assume that if the assassination (or hiding) attempt fails, the player doesn't draw any counter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wallace
United Kingdom
Manchester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
A strict interpretation of the rules leads to the conclusion that you still take a Sanity counter even if the assassination attempt fails (due to the revealing of a double-agent). A failed assassination attempt is exactly like a successful one except the active player does not place his control disc on the VP spot.

Martin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.W. Man
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frog1 wrote:
A strict interpretation of the rules leads to the conclusion that you still take a Sanity counter even if the assassination attempt fails (due to the revealing of a double-agent). A failed assassination attempt is exactly like a successful one except the active player does not place his control disc on the VP spot.

Martin

So this is the correct interpretation? Who draws the sanity token? The player who initiated the attempt or the (potentially new) controller of the agent executing the attempt?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo B.
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am surprised about that too. On the one hand it would be normal that the failed assassination carries dire consequences to the team of agents which failed. On the other hand, I draw the same conclusion as Jordi by strictly interpreting the rule (the one he quoted).

And what if the main agent (the one used to carry out the attempt) is the one that defected? Logically he/she wouldn't be eliminated (then it would result in the same way as failing with a hired assassin?). But in the case of another agent defecting, would the agent used for the attempt still risk death?

My thinking is that it's clearly simpler not to draw a sanity counter in case of countered attempt. But I also like complexity so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adhil Patel
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If this is the way you intended it, then we will go with it, but it feels quite heavy handed.

Having your assassination attempt be foiled by a double agent is already a big swing, given that you use up the action and lose an agent.

Looking at the rules, I would say that you would only draw the sanity check after you've placed the control disc, and since you're not placing one in a failed attempt, you would not be drawing the sanity check.

Is there an FAQ for the game? It feels like there are a few things that should really be clarified for new players...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.