Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Schmitzer
Germany
Garching
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We enjoy playing spartacus, but in all our games (4,5,6 Players) we encounter a heavy "fight the leader"-problem. As soon as one player reaches 10 influence, all other players target him in the next intrigue-phase, bomb him with might-cards and reaction-cards until he falls behind the others. Same to the next player and so on. The result of this is, after around 4 hours we end the game and declare the player with most influence as the winner.

Any idea to fix this problem? I thought about limiting the cards which anyone can play to a single player, lets say, to a maximum of three per round.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always use the same strategy that I used playing Mario Cart - stay in 2nd-3rd place until near the end and go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Britzel wrote:
We enjoy playing spartacus, but in all our games (4,5,6 Players) we encounter a heavy "fight the leader"-problem. As soon as one player reaches 10 influence, all other players target him in the next intrigue-phase, bomb him with might-cards and reaction-cards until he falls behind the others. Same to the next player and so on. The result of this is, after around 4 hours we end the game and declare the player with most influence as the winner.

Any idea to fix this problem? I thought about limiting the cards which anyone can play to a single player, lets say, to a maximum of three per round.

What do you think?

It sounds like your group needs to focus on methods to win the game in a surprising manner so as not to be targeted. Start by examining each house's special ability and ways to exploit it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shader
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, if people get bombed at 10, then get to 9 and power through one turn.

I find that I want the person next to me to win the hosting rights the turn before I go off... so that I play last in the influence phase and blow past everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Britzel wrote:

What do you think?

I find this to be the point of the game rather than a problem! I agree with the posters above - try not to look like the winner and go for surprise when you play last in the intrigue phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.