Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Olaf Polly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am puzzled about the point of giving a limited number of "Early bird" slots in many KS campaigns including King's Armory. Since the KS allows you to drop the pledge at any point, this system does not really reward people who have confidence in the game, but rather those that sit in front of their computers a lot (no disrespect intended). But when others come to the campaign, they see that they now have to pay extra dollars for the same product - personally this turns me off from pledging.

I also found the design of stretch goals a bit odd - I would have preferred to see several more map tiles and an extra new hero as some of them, getting male/female hero variants and custom dice would not add anything to the game replayability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Brownridge
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding of the practice is to generate a sense of urgency (get them before they run out!) and thus create some momentum in the campaign by having a number of backers and funds in place near the start.

There might be better ways of doing this, but it is a common practice as you've noted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Reece
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The early bird thing is definitly like the "5% extra discount available only today" you may get when you get furniture shopping... A way to get the buyer to commit now (even though they can in theory back out, many less people will back out once they have made a deal, even if they can in theory).

KS starter campaigns that sit at a low funding level for a long time look like "losers" and are unable to draw in more buyers. So it is almost essential for a campaign to make enough splash to seem viable to buyers.

On the stretch goals for the current KS campaign - I am glad to see the board sections, extra heros and minis available as extra cost options instead of stretch goals. That way if you buy them you know you are getting them. It stops me from bidding on a project when the one feature important to me is under the third stretch goal (unless the project is already there). So I guess we will have to agree to disagree on what should be stretch and what should be add on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Polly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirk, Daniel, agree about splash and momentum with the early bird discount, wish fewer KS project use it - I have little time to check new projects, usually just once a week or if I come across something interesting on BGG, so my chances of ever getting a special price are very small.

Daniel, totally agree that stretch goals are personal taste - I see your point, but thinking what I would want to get as special bonus (i.e., without paying extra), I would always go for wider variety than for "cooler things". The minis for example are great as add-ons since not everyone would want them or have time to paint, but extra tiles seem more valuable to have with every game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wrot!
United States
Alhanbra
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
First, thanks for making this post, Olaf. Super great thoughts!

To be true, the MAIN reason (and 90% of the reason) that we made the choice to have Early Birds was to accommodate and thank the backers from our first campaign for returning.

Besides wether one gets in late, or there were no EBs to start with, you're paying the full price. Nothing wrong with a few people getting a bonus for showing confidence early.

As for the Stretch Goals, our first TWO funding goals are BOTH under $6,000 above base goal. We're trying to make them come fast. And the both-gender thing was a popular suggestion/request during the first campaign, so we put it in early.

If people really want, I'm not against moving them around.

Feedback?

John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Polly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John,
thank you for taking time to chime in. It is obviously hard to please everyone as different people always think differently and have different tastes. I like the 3D towers stretch goal especially since you can actually place heroes on their top. Do you have plans for other stretch goals if campaign is getting there - you list in contents up to 15 heroes, is that due to female-male doubling, or there are other unique yet-not-named heroes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wrot!
United States
Alhanbra
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Olaf,

Great question. Thanks.

We do actually. We actually have stretch goals that can take us as high as $350,000, as this game is just so expandable! But we don't want to overwhelm the page until it's ready for it.

We do have ready, unique, expansion pack heroes that we will released through the Stretch Goals. If you look at the old project, you can cheat to get a peek at their "classes". But i'll leave that to the brave researcher for now. ; )

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose
United States
New York City
NY
flag msg tools
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." - Khalil Gibran
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
As for the Stretch Goals, our first TWO funding goals are BOTH under $6,000 above base goal. We're trying to make them come fast. And the both-gender thing was a popular suggestion/request during the first campaign, so we put it in early.

If people really want, I'm not against moving them around.

If you're honestly taking feedback on this, I'm far more interested in more heroes than extra dice or the monster book. In fact, the monster book is what I'm absolutely least interested in. The towers are very cool, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wrot!
United States
Alhanbra
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
anjulka wrote:
If you're honestly taking feedback on this, I'm far more interested in more heroes than extra dice or the monster book. In fact, the monster book is what I'm absolutely least interested in. The towers are very cool, though.

We've set them up in an order that is most practical. Both 3d towers and 1 die per hero were part of the original design, those 2 let us complete that. And Heroes are very expensive. So we spaced them out so that they can grow nicely and fairly. If a hero were our 1st goal, than it would need to be substantially higher than 3 or 6k above goal. We wanted them to come fast. We put Eligor ASAP. Truly, ASAP.

I hope that helps you to understand. We really have everyone's best intentions in mind. If people start telling me - no, push everything back behind Eligor and have the first stretch goal at $67k... i'll do it. I just don't expect that to be what people prefer. I'm open to it though.

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose
United States
New York City
NY
flag msg tools
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." - Khalil Gibran
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If a hero were our 1st goal, than it would need to be substantially higher than 3 or 6k above goal.

Ahhh... Ok. That makes sense then. Thank you for explaining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Wilker
Germany
Lemgo
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
anjulka wrote:

I agree with you here. Although I understand the reason for putting "cheap" stretch goals first, I would like sooner more heroes - I would even put the "Male/Female" stretch goal behind one additional hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose
United States
New York City
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of the male/female heroes stretch goals....
Will they have different powers? Or will it be identical except for name/picture? The former would be very exciting and give a substantial expansion of hero options. Though, I can understand the latter.

And will minis be available then for the new heroes? If so, will the cost be included in the levels that already include all the minis or will it cost even more?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wrot!
United States
Alhanbra
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
anjulka wrote:
Speaking of the male/female heroes stretch goals....
Will they have different powers? Or will it be identical except for name/picture? The former would be very exciting and give a substantial expansion of hero options. Though, I can understand the latter.

And will minis be available then for the new heroes? If so, will the cost be included in the levels that already include all the minis or will it cost even more?

Survey underway, Male Female looks doomed though. They would be the same with diff picture and name only.

New full heroes unlock new minis. Those minis would be extra, else the Stretch goal to get the heroes would ahve to be even higher to pay for them all. This allows them to remain optional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.