Subject: How is it now? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Paget
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd like to have this game, but I was stung by Doom. The balance issue seems to have come along again here. I notice in the latest FAQ there are some rule changes re buying treasures etc. Does this fix the game out of the box? Can I buy it and play it without having to choose house rules? Or is it still in need of attention?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second the motion. I would love to try this game, but at $50+ I don't want to be kicking myself because we dont want to play.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patching
United Kingdom
Newport, Wales
flag msg tools
badge
If you notice this notice you wil notice that this notice was not worth noticing
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent is far more balanced than Doom. My group still play it with the rules straight out of the box and this is one of our favourite games at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I played it plenty before the faq even existed and it worked just fine. I do think the game is better with the faq, but you definately shouldn't have any problems if you don't use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Rogers
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's still great. But due to time and work demands I haven't played it in quite some time. Hope to soon though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stephenpaget wrote:
I'd like to have this game, but I was stung by Doom. The balance issue seems to have come along again here. I notice in the latest FAQ there are some rule changes re buying treasures etc. Does this fix the game out of the box? Can I buy it and play it without having to choose house rules? Or is it still in need of attention?

Our group loves both games but Descent does seem to more requests for play. However, I would suggest you find a group with a copy and play the game first before buying it. That should answer your questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward F
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't like doom all that much, but I love Descent. Pick up a copy if you are looking for a dungeon craw, you won't regret is.

We play with the rules fine out of the box,(including eratta). No worries there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Miltenburg
Netherlands
Enschede
Overijsel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As overlord I win on a regular basis... I tried yesterday with the new 1.6 rules and it is really difficult for the heroes to get the goodies they need.

I might nearly pitty the heroes now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it was fine before. We've not had a chance to play since the new FAQ came out, but we've already agreed to drop almost all the house rules we had installed in order to address balance issues.

Mostly, the out of the box issues are matters of taste and preference, honing it into the kind of game your group prefers. It wasn't anywhere near broken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we have played it a lot and found it too hard with only 2 hero's and to easy with 4 hero's. so 3 hero's seems to be the sweet spot. but we havent tried 4 hero's with the new rules, im going to have to try that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Spoto
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The new rules on the FAQ help significantly, notably the removal of "potion chaining", which good players could abuse incredibly with certain abilities.

However, I"d still suggest going to 1 OL draw vs. 2 characters, and 3 draws vs. 4. Four characters seem to be much more of an advantage (LOS, ability synergy, etc) than how the stats and threat scale for 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.