Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: Predictions for new NBN identity rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin W.
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Following up on the speculation about a new Jinteki identity, I thought I'd start a thread for people to share speculations about what might be coming up for NBN. I think there are two obvious areas that the new identity might focus on- tags, or bad publicity. Here are my speculations:

NBN: Spin Center
The first time each turn that you take a bad publicity, gain 3 credits.

"Any publicity is good publicity"

The thought here is that, on average, the money identities (ETF and BABW) give somewhere between 5-12 credits over the course of the game usually. This would give around that most games, since you would generally take 2-3 bad publicity, and occasionally 4. It would give you a lot of your money back for rezzing illicit ice, and also allow you to get a bit more money out of profiteering (but since its only the first time each turn, you don't get to take 24 credits, that would be a bit nuts). If NBN gets some ways to remove BP, then perhaps it would be only 2 credits, rather than 3.

Another idea for bad publicity is:

NBN: 24 Hour News
When the runner begins a run, you count as having only half as much bad publicity (rounded down) for purposes of giving the runner credits.

I'm sure this can be better worded ,but I can't quite figure out how to say it. Anyways, the idea is that bad publicity is only half as bad, at least for giving the runner money. This might be too strong- I could take 5 BP and still only be giving the runner 2 credits a run- but it seems like a design space they could play around with. Maybe lower to influence on it?

Finally, they might choose to go with tags instead. Here was my thought:

NBN: Consumer demographics
The first time each turn the runner takes a tag, gain 2 credits.

This gives you a reason to tag the runner even if they immediately shake the tag, which is nice. Makes data raven an economic powerhouse, and gives breaking news a nice bonus, but overall the number of turns the runner takes tags on is not that huge, so I doubt this would be OP- I would expect to get 4-8 credits for this over the game, but unlike Weyland you'd have less control over when you get the money.

Anyone else have speculations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are these threads in General and not Variants? Just because you added the word "prediction" to them doesn't quality them for General. By that logic I can take my custom cards thread that has 61 cards and post them to General with the word "prediction" added to the title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Townsend
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One I'd really like to see is:

NBN: No Secrets
Identity: Division
50/18

If the Runner is tagged, they must play with their hand revealed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NBN: Worldwide Prestige
45/15
You may have two regions installed in a single server.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lysander
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Aside from flavor, NBN has nothing to do with Bad Publicity.

Since there's an ID for trace/tagging and one for fast advance variants, I'd like to see an identity that further enables flytrap builds. Anything that slows down the runner even marginally whenever they receive a tag, steal an agenda, trash an asset/upgrade, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kroen wrote:
Why are these threads in General and not Variants?

Glass houses.

Anyhow, I like "No Secrets" and "Spin Center" the best. Both seem like solid and unique abilities that bring the game in different directions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
beepers wrote:
NBN: Earth's Favorite Network
45/15
Once per turn, after a run is initiated, you may move a rezzed observer piece of ICE to the outermost position of any server.

I like identities that create new dynamics like Kit, Replicating Perfection and Noise. Here, interesting game choices come into play for both the Runner and Corp. What if you want to hit their R&D with Indexing but they've got a Dataraven camping out there? You can run an undefended HQ, hoping that it flies your way so that you can jackout and Index R&D. But... what if it doesn't move and there wasn't anything in HQ? Now you've just wasted a click. Observer ICE seems to have a theme of attrition, too, so if any set of ICE were to receive such an ability, it'd be this one, whittling away at the runners reserves with irritating effects.

If they release this ID, then all my Runner opponents are in deep !@^% Where do I vote for it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Keaten
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
First Click
badge
Praise it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's cover the bases, shall we?

NBN: Recycled Material
45/10
Once per turn, if an Asset is trashed by the Runner, you may pay 1c to advance an installed card that may be advanced.

NBN: Personal Protection
45/15
When the runner approaches a piece of ICE, you may forfeit any number of tags. Reduce the cost of rezzing that ICE by 2c per tag forfeited in this way.

NBN: The Local Branch
45/15
At the start of your turn, gain 1c unless the Runner initiated a run against one of your remote servers during his or her last turn.

Ignore this ability if no remote server existed during that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
kroen wrote:
Why are these threads in General and not Variants? Just because you added the word "prediction" to them doesn't quality them for General. By that logic I can take my custom cards thread that has 61 cards and post them to General with the word "prediction" added to the title.

No, please don't...

Back to the topic.

Consumer Demographics? LOVE IT. You turn Data Raven into an econ card!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Gum
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Runner must pay an additional 1C to remove tags.

At the start of each turn, you may look at the top card of R&D.

Whenever an Agenda is scored or stolen, the Runner loses up to 2c, if able.

You have an extra click to spend each turn. Use this click only to draw cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xpiredsodapop wrote:
kroen wrote:

No, please don't...

Back to the topic.

Double standards much?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Palpster
Netherlands
Nunspeet
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tekkactus wrote:

Uhm...look at the card and then draw it with your mandatory draw? Completely useless.

Look at the top AFTER your mandatory draw? Way, Waaaay too powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Kelly
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's borderline, but at least there's the precedent that FFG occasionally puts new identity cards into the data packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Gum
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Palpster wrote:
Tekkactus wrote:

Uhm...look at the card and then draw it with your mandatory draw? Completely useless.

Look at the top AFTER your mandatory draw? Way, Waaaay too powerful.

The intention was the start of the Runner's turn, so you could know whether it was worth your time rezzing that R&D ICE. You're going to be mandatory drawing it anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
KC
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
Not to harsh on the thread's buzz too much, but if GRNDL is any indication, the Corp identities in this set are going to be Divisions. I seriously doubt we'll see an NBN identity that's actually called NBN: Anything.

I rather expect that the identity will have to do with the themes of the cycle - public perception, PR, and bad publicity. GRNDL fits with that theme not just because it starts with a bad publicity, but also because it represents the side of Weyland that has a very negative public image - they're the eeeeeeevil profiteers ravaging the planet for money. I'd guess NBN's identity will be spin control, so something like the Midway Station division, surveilling, intercepting and suppressing communications from upstalk/Heinlein. Or maybe it'll be more about the mass media aspects, the threedees and whatnot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Glenn
msg tools
mb
So, instead of a prediction, I'm just going to post and Id I'd like to see.

Nbn:knowledge is power
Division
50/15

Whenever there is a successful trace, you may draw a card.

The influence might need a tweak, and the power might be too good without a once a turn clause (but could still be used on runner turn with ice and on yours with operations/data pool), but this I'd would be a ton of fun. Not great with the ice against linked runners, but ash and bernice, and possibly flare, mid seasons, or sea source gain some value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Berton
Canada
flag msg tools
How about this?

Personal Data Processing
NBN
45/15

The first time the Runner makes an successful run each turn, gain 2 [credit].
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
b a n j o wrote:
kroen wrote:
xpiredsodapop wrote:
kroen wrote:

No, please don't...

Back to the topic.

Double standards much?

Yes. You complain CONSTANTLY when people go, what you consider to be, off-topic in your threads (even though most of the time they're simply answer whatever nonsensical question you asked). Yet you have no qualms about going off topic in other people's threads. So yes, yes you have a double standard.

Nevertheless, this is a thread for made-up cards, not real cards. It belongs in variants.

And kroen makes his variant threads in the right place now, after being reprimanded. The OP should do the same, instead of turning this thread into another shit-on-kroen thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin W.
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I didn't turn this thread into a shit-on-anyone thread- I haven't posted since my original post. I put this here because this is where the jinteki ID speculation was- and no one on that thread complained that it belonged in variants. Anyways, happy to post future such threads in variants if that is the consensus- I was inspired to post this by the Jinteki ID thread, so I put it in the same forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jones
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Empires wrote:
One I'd really like to see is:

NBN: No Secrets
50/18

If the Runner is tagged, they must play with their hand revealed.
That's too powerful. How about, "If the Runner ebds his turn with more tags than cards in his grip, he must play with the grip always revealed." That'll give a new tag punishment, combat TagMe decks (which I sort of faced today against my NBN) and add a new Flare. Er, flair.

I like the identities in the opening post, except that they seem more Spin cycle based than, say, a big box expansion which is what you'd get with 3 IDs. The last one, though... maybe give the corp 1 cred per new tag, but not 2 so they can instantly trash a resource. Got to make them work a little bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jones
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Agent Archer wrote:
Not to harsh on the thread's buzz too much, but if GRNDL is any indication, the Corp identities in this set are going to be Divisions. I seriously doubt we'll see an NBN identity that's actually called NBN: Anything.

Well, I can see some of these easily becoming divisions. I know one'll be some news feel. Here's an idea!

The Daily Gazetter: Spreading information
NBN: Division
45/15

The value of all traces initiated are increased by 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijer
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rognik wrote:
Agent Archer wrote:

Well, I can see some of these easily becoming divisions. I know one'll be some news feel. Here's an idea!

45/15

I hate this. Unless you're doing more than 2 traces between your turn and the runners, this is worse than Making News, and it will just make room for Disrupter to make you wish you picked Making News.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijer
Netherlands
The Hague
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bwald wrote:
NBN: Consumer demographics
The first time each turn the runner takes a tag, gain 2 credits.

I think this is a good idea, but it got me thinking, how about:

Gain 2$ whenever the runner removes a tag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
STIMHUXK wrote:
Not sure about the strength, just a slightly different idea:
(tuned)

Rebroadcast Station
Bustling Channel
NBN Identity-Division
45/15
If there are more than 2 cards in Runner's grip, all runs initiated by events or programs are treated unsuccessful instead.
Three strikes and out.

Kind of Andro-hate and anti early siphon.

That's fairly harsh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jones
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
dwjmeijer wrote:
Rognik wrote:
Agent Archer wrote:

45/15

I hate this. Unless you're doing more than 2 traces between your turn and the runners, this is worse than Making News, and it will just make room for Disrupter to make you wish you picked Making News.
But that's exactly the kind of shift the meta needs. There are many ICE out there that have 2 traces on the single ICE, like Shadow, Viper or Caduceus. Stick those three together, and it's better than Making News. Or the upcoming Shinobi, which we know is a 3 trace ICE for a potential 6 net damage!

Of course, I pick out non-NBN ice to neglect the Golden Boy, Uroboros!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.