Popular Tags: [View All]
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a backer at the Boxed game level... I've been contemplating moving up to the Collectors edition to get the additional minis and the resin castings.

As I look over the current figure selections I was struck with the realization that the 4 pilgrims are the only figures that evoke a feeling of Chinese culture and art in me. I admit I am not a master of Chinese history, culture or art, but I have been to China a few (6) times. I've also visited museums and art galleries in Japan, China and Korea. I think I have a sense for the visual flavor(?). That being said the boards and non-figure components are hitting the mark for me.

Taking a stronger look at the current figure selections...

Borrack and his minions look like they'd be more at home in Heroquest or a Conan-esque RPG. Nothing about them looks like it has been influenced from the Asian continent.

The Zing Yau, Jing Yau and Ugragosa, figures are border line passable for me... I think they need more stylization.

The Soul Hunters are creative, and I will likely get them if I stay at my current level.

I originally came into this project for the resin Monkey king and "art booklet". I like the look of the game and the subject but feel the figures are not being created in a manner influenced by the Journey to the West Mythology. Most of these figures would look at home in any fantasy game. I want figures so cool they would only look at home in their own game. To me, the Monkey King is the only figure that fits this perception of mine.

Has Kingdom Death: Monster skewed my expectations regarding the production quality of future miniatures games... I think so
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
the 4 pilgrims are the only figures that evoke a feeling of Chinese culture and art in me

The minis are not stylized.

They are realistic portrayals of stylistically designed creatures.

They will not have typical foo dog faces as they are attempting to look naturalistic and not painterly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I dont understand where your coming from I been to china twice but to me the demons look... like demons. if you google chinese demons its easy to see where the inspiration comes from. Sorry you dont like the art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't say I disliked the art... Lord knows I could never sculpt like these guys.
All I am saying is that I don't feel a sense of Chinese homage coming out of most of the figures.

I did Google "Chinese Demon", went through several pages of images, went back to the KS images... and yup, I am not feeling it.

Like I said, most of what has been produced would easily fit into any other fantasy game, the exception being the Monkey King. I would much prefer miniatures that work off of or build off each other while maintaining the theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
StevenE wrote:
the 4 pilgrims are the only figures that evoke a feeling of Chinese culture and art in me

The minis are not stylized.

They are realistic portrayals of stylistically designed creatures.

They will not have typical foo dog faces as they are attempting to look naturalistic and not painterly.

From what little I know of the story/myth the Monkey King looks the part, almost like he's jumped out of the pages. The other's do not...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Luc
Australia
Newcastle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:

From what little I know of the story/myth the Monkey King looks the part, almost like he's jumped out of the pages. The other's do not...

I agree on this one. The Monkey King looks fantastic, and very realistic (? not sure if i can make this claim haha). I would almost think that he is going to be the 'People's Favourite' for this project, and based on the amount of times the Marrow group have spoken about this mini in particular, and considering they put up a revoted Monkey King pledge, I would have to bet that he is their favourite too!

I do like the sculpts of all their minis, some more than others, but considering the type of game (miniature board game), any decent mini casts are good.

This project nostalgia of the HeroQuest days!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Bernadó
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The four pilgrims, Jiangshi and Soul Hunter Captain Xi Fung look very chinese to me.
I think they're doing the rest of the miniatures, mainly the demon troops, more general so you can use them in other games.
In a recent update, they were comparing the size of the miniatures with that of other games.
If I remember right they said the pilgrims are a bit bigger than some demons. But the pilgrims are unique to this game, while you can use, as in their example, a bull warrior as a minotaur for another game.
And I would expect some GW style to still ooze from the art of Adrian Smith.
A. J. Manzanedo is a talented artist too (he's spanish after all ) but as Adrian both come from western culture and I don't know if they have been asked to follow some guidelines or not.
I'll leave an image from Manzanedo not yet seen on KS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
I didn't say I disliked the art... Lord knows I could never sculpt like these guys.
All I am saying is that I don't feel a sense of Chinese homage coming out of most of the figures.

I did Google "Chinese Demon", went through several pages of images, went back to the KS images... and yup, I am not feeling it.

Like I said, most of what has been produced would easily fit into any other fantasy game, the exception being the Monkey King. I would much prefer miniatures that work off of or build off each other while maintaining the theme.

The bull demons to me are easily compared to the guard of hell or chinese death. Jing/Zing Yao look like they were modeled after the red demon masks that people wear as costumes of chinese demons. Jiang Shi is THE chinese zombie and is modeled directly after it. Thats all the shown thus far add in the 4 pilgrims and they all look to me like they are form the same story/universe. To each their own. I think it hit the mark and I feel chinese homage coming from most of the figures

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bernado wrote:

This figure is spot on for me... unfortunately the only thing in common between the base Bull Warriors and this figure are the horns. Side by side they will look like they are from different games. Maybe that is the intent as stated above... the creators really want these miniatures used in other games.

Salvador, thank you for sharing!!!
This is another figure to be excited about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Bernadó
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been very excited about this project from the beginning. Well I've been very excited about too much games on KS. gulp
The quality of the miniatures seems excellent and I know I will like them whether they really look Chinese or not.
This is the first game of a small company.
Trying to attract different people to the game, seems okay to me if we just don't want this game to succeed but to have several expansions on the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teng Sean How
Australia
flag msg tools
They don't closely resemble typical Google search results Chinese paintings but Chinese paintings are not meant to resemble the physical appearance of the subject. It is stylized much like Japanese art. However, if you watch very old Chinese movies/TV shows, you'd come to realise that the bull demons are fairly accurate representations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mastermickem wrote:

I agree on this one. The Monkey King looks fantastic, and very realistic (? not sure if i can make this claim haha). I would almost think that he is going to be the 'People's Favourite' for this project, and based on the amount of times the Marrow group have spoken about this mini in particular, and considering they put up a revoted Monkey King pledge, I would have to bet that he is their favourite too!

I always love how art evokes different feelings in diff people. For myself, I was actually kinda disappointed with the Monkey King for several reasons.

Firstly, none of the Monkey King's mischievousness comes through in the sculpt. I can understand why this is the case though as they focused on making him look badass instead.

Secondly, the red skin paint job makes him look more like a demon than a monkey. Again, I can kinda understand why as he was in league with the demons before joining the heavenly ranks. Even so, the best picture (imo) that I have seen of the Monkey King use colors depicting him like a monkey.

Lastly, I would have loved it if the sculpt was of him in his Chinese General armor (but to be fair, its not like he wore that during the actual pilgrimage).

Now, to be fair, all of my reasons above are really as a result of the traditional pictures of how the Monkey King is portrayed and its fairly obvious that Marrow deliberately went with a different visual style for the mythos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tankbot
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jokemeister wrote:

Firstly, none of the Monkey King's mischievousness comes through in the sculpt. I can understand why this is the case though as they focused on making him look badass instead.

Secondly, the red skin paint job makes him look more like a demon than a monkey. Again, I can kinda understand why as he was in league with the demons before joining the heavenly ranks. Even so, the best picture (imo) that I have seen of the Monkey King use colors depicting him like a monkey.

The Monkey King looks like he's on 'roids. He kind of reminds me of red-faced macaques. I agree, they should have gone with fur instead of red skin.

I think the latest expansion misses the mark. Something bothers me greatly with skeletons being in Samurai armor. Chinese armor would have worked just fine. The pilgrims where traveling west towards India -- not east towards Japan!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.