Hide
8 Posts

Dominion: Alchemy» Forums » Variants

Subject: Dominion: Alchemy Potion Card Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Maniac
msg tools
I've been reading the Dominion Alchemy forms and I agree in regards to how pointless the Potion cards are outside of this expansion. I have also been reading solutions to attempt to fix this problem with no common ground found.

Granted, only a small minority of Dominion fans including myself would like to see the Potion cards have other Powers sees this as a problem.

So I started thinking how to use the Potion cards in a different way and when I was pondering the thought occurred to me. When one is playing an RPG and during that adventure one gets injured or cursed. What do they reach for to heal themselves, a potion!

So here is my aim at a variant to fix this small problem.
This variant can be added with or without any Alchemy cards in the starting set of the 10 Kingdome cards.

1. A player would be able to use one Potion card during there Action Phase to get rid of one Curse card. Or instead, a player can trash one Potion card to get rid of that same Curse card. A player may only use one potion card per curse card.

2. During the player’s Action Phase they would be able to change the one Curse card into an Estate by trashing one Potion card.

3. Seeing how Alchemy is all about manipulating metals. A player can trash two Potion cards to change a Copper and Silver into Gold, or three Potions to change a Silver and Gold into Platinum.

Now I know there are cards throughout the sets that allow a player to trash any card in there hand, for example, cards like Remodel already give you the special power of not only trashing a card.

But for every card you trash you get plus two buy, however, that pacific card is not always in the starting Kingdom card set. Still, I see not only the pros but also some of the other cons.

One of the cons is this being too powerful of a card ability, that's why I came up with the trashing idea in order to keep this new ability balanced, on the other hand, one of the pros is being able to get rid of a curse card without having to get a card like Remodel.

For those looking for any other way to play Dominion, the new rules can be used at the same time or you can pick and choose.

Finally, if these rules don't sound good, hopefully other people on the form can build off of them to hammer out a better solution.

Thanks for reading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusing Manifestation
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the Potion cost cards can be quite powerful as the only such card on the board - particularly the two Attacks, Scrying Pool and Familiar. Or Vineyards on a board with Ruins.

Unfortunately the idea of "Trash a Potion to get X" means you first must buy the Potion, then have it show up in your hand with the other necessary card, and then you have to be willing to lose the Potion to get the effect - and for the first two suggestions, that assumes there's a curser on the board and that you have nothing better to do with $4 than get rid of a single Curse (or turn it into an Estate, a net effect of +2VP and no removal of junk cards from your deck). And you have to get the Potion and Curse to line up in your hand, which may well mean you'll have that Potion sitting in your deck for a while before you can do anything with it.

As for option 3, that requires you to line up 2 Potions, a Copper and a Silver in a single hand, which you then turn into a Gold. Or 3 Potions, a Copper and a Silver to get a Platinum. In the time it takes you to do that, I can just about guarantee you that I've picked up the same Treasures along with some much more useful cards, and possibly even my first Province.

I see where you're coming from, and I think it's a great idea to try to give Potions extra utility, but I don't think it's necessary and I don't think any of these is the right way to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Broersen
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Until there are more Kingdom cards with Potion, I like the idea of using potions for alternatives.

I suggest the following in the Clean-up phase.

You may trash a Potion to trash a Curse and gain an Estate. This is a 2VP differential. Equal to 2 Estates which would have cost 4 copper anyway.

or

If Potion is not already used to buy, you may use it to buy one Estate as an additional Buy outside the normal Buy step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a whiny voice: "But I don't wanna buy a 4 coin Potion to buy an Estate!" cry

Most times I don't want to buy an Estate...or Gain one...with anything.

I understand your pain though. I don't mind the Alchemy set as it has a fantasy aspect all the others lack. For now we relegate it to the sideline and play the occasional "a round of Alchemy this time?". Then we'll pull out 6 Alchemy cards and 4 from another set and play from there.
Except for Possession, which we banned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My try would be the following:

Cost $5
When you play it, choose one: $2 or a potion.

Or Potion could be used as a one-shot Remodel costing no action. At any time, you may trash a Potion to remodel a card from your hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Breustedt
msg tools
I've been thinking of some new cards to add to my alchemy set with blank cards. I'll have to get some more of course. Here's a few ideas I've come up with. Alchemy didn't have a reaction card so... Panacea cost 3 and a potion. + 2 Cards you may trash a wasteland from your discard pile. Reaction- when you would gain a wasteland, draw 1 card instead. Ohh I should mention that replaced all my curse cards with my own variation wasteland. It doesn't make sense for curse to be the exact opposite of estate or province for that matter. Although building a house in a wasteland would decrease your property value a little. Makes more sense To me anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Breustedt
msg tools
Here's some more ideas I've had mad scientist- cost 5 and a potion. + 1 potion, + 1 buy - 1 victory gain a silver to your hand, everyone else gains a wasteland. Mortal and pestle- cost 5. + 1 card, + 1 potion gain a card costing up to 3 and put it into your hand, if it's an action play it. I was thinking this would make herbalist a little more useful, otherwise you could still get a silver to use right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Breustedt
msg tools
I have some other card ideas but just name only. Ancient tome, rural village, herb grove or grotto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.