3 Posts

Agricola» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Unexpected Agricola rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I was told two things about Agricola: that you tended to end up with a single route to victory, with everyone's farm looking the same, and that it was more or less multiplayer solitaire.

I'd played some solo games, which can tend towards this (single player solitaire! But more importantly, you can read out future actions very easily and unless you have odd cards, you tend to diversify).

Then I played online, and ran into this first game:
http://www.boiteajeux.net/jeux/agr/partie.php?id=1095111

Including blocking (I couldn't believe it when he took the sheep despite any infrastructure and let them go, I assume as a pure block), and completely different models: the game was 40 (me) to 35 (him), but with totally different farms. I lived in a six room stone house and farmed the land: no animals at all. He had a more diverse farm, with lots of animals. Limited grain/veg, partially because I blocked both sowing spots in the last turn...

Anyway, neither of us played fantastically, some very rooky errors all round, but great fun and brain burning without being predictable or multi-player solitaire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to assume the "everyone's farms lookng the same" is somehow derived from the idea that the game rewards you for being well rounded. So from that premise I could see how someone might infer that everyone will try to do a little bit of everything and thus might look similar. But it's simply not true. Especially based on what cards you have in your hand, you're going to go a different route. Players with ways to plow a lot of fields are going to look a lot different than the player who has a way to build a lot of rooms easily.

And I disagree that this is a multi-player solitaire game. The competition for actions spots and the associated resources is the heart of the game. It's a different type of interaction that some care for but that doesn't mean it's not there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eli

Dist of Columbia
msg tools
Nice story, and I totally agree. Thanks for sharing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.