Subject: Playing without Demonic rewards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I played the game just 4 times and we didn't use demonic rewards at all, in order to make our first games simpler and easy to learn (i.e. we use coins only to buy GG).

And I'm really interested in your opinion if Demonic rewards really add something important to this game. Do they make game more challenging, random, interesting, exciting???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark De Lorenzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yury1975 wrote:
And I'm really interested in your opinion if Demonic rewards really add something important to this game. Do they make game more challenging, random, interesting, exciting???
Good question. Looking forward to this thread. I too have only played without them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Veltre
United States
Middleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EnjoyRC wrote:
yury1975 wrote:
Good question. Looking forward to this thread. I too have only played without them.

The Demonic rewards add a lot of strategy to the game. I'll give you one quick example. The other day my buddy had Percimol and after my turn was over he only had 1 hp left. Well there was a demonic reward that increased his damage by 1 and game him steal health. He ended up stealing 10 health with his two attacks and then got healed for 3 by lil Healy. Next turn I couldn't kill him and he ended up winning the game. There are demonic rewards that add AP which allows you more actions. Ones that teleport you. It is often times mich more beneficial to buy demonic rewards than it is to buy GG.

Plus they add a good bit of replay value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Dang
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They can really turn things around in a heartbeat and adds another lay of strategy to the game as well as randomness. It can save an almost dead character, cover up the weaknesses of another, or turn a monster into a god with a single chip. It adds more customization too. Give it a shot once you get a better feel of the game, you won't regret it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Wr
United States
North Port
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played one game with them now and will never play without them again.

I had (can't remember his name, the blue reaper) that has steal health with his melee attack.
I got a token that added a couple health and Critical.
He was devastating after that.
Not that he was bad before.
But afterwards he couldn't be stopped.
Likewise opponent got one that buffed his attack and then revealed another that gave him more AP and proceeded to slaughter half my team.

That add a lot of power and tactics.
And really don't complicate the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yury M
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to everyone for your advices and vivid examples.
I definitely will try and I hope will like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apis Rex
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
On a more abstract note, playing with demonic rewards gives you a choice of what to spend your kamas on. Even with them, more often than not the correct choice is to save your kamas and buy GG with them after the "wild" GG has been taken (so that you're buying them out of your opponents' pile)... but it becomes an interesting tension where every time you're looking at your pile of kamas and looking at the board you have to wonder if maybe buying a demonic reward is the right call after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Veltre
United States
Middleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apis Rex wrote:
On a more abstract note, playing with demonic rewards gives you a choice of what to spend your kamas on. Even with them, more often than not the correct choice is to save your kamas and buy GG with them after the "wild" GG has been taken (so that you're buying them out of your opponents' pile)... but it becomes an interesting tension where every time you're looking at your pile of kamas and looking at the board you have to wonder if maybe buying a demonic reward is the right call after all.

After having played quite a few games I find that buying GG isn't as good as buying the rewards. It's situational of course but most often when I buy a reward it is either to save my Krosmaster thus saving myself from losing GG to my opponent as most Krosmasters are worth more than 1 GG but also when I buy them for offensive reasons, if I kill the opposing Krosmaster I will gain more than 1 GG. So again it is very situational but in my opinion buying the demonic rewards are usually more rewarding in my games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Svensson
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xMindFreak wrote:

The Demonic rewards add a lot of strategy to the game. I'll give you one quick example. The other day my buddy had Percimol and after my turn was over he only had 1 hp left. Well there was a demonic reward that increased his damage by 1 and game him steal health. He ended up stealing 10 health with his two attacks and then got healed for 3 by lil Healy. Next turn I couldn't kill him and he ended up winning the game. There are demonic rewards that add AP which allows you more actions. Ones that teleport you. It is often times mich more beneficial to buy demonic rewards than it is to buy GG.

Plus they add a good bit of replay value.

Agreed. Sometimes a weaker Krosmaster can become a very strong one with the right Demonic Reward. And a strong one can become almost unstoppable. The game is meant to be played with the Rewards, they make a fantastic game so much more... eh... well, fantastic(-er...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apis Rex
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The thing is that there are a LOT of situations where your opponent will only have 1gg left. If all you do is kill a single level 3 krosmaster and doubles have come up three times when rolling for tension, your opponent is at 1gg and you can just buy them out of the game. And if you force doubles whenever possible when you roll Dofus or Crit/Dodge, getting doubles three times in one game isn't terribly hard to manage.

That is, in most situations, you don't need to kill more than one of your opponent's krosmasters if you're focused on GG attrition.

In my experience, buying demonic rewards is primarily useful for recovering from having fallen behind. GGs do a great job of making you feel pressed for time, and it's precisely because when you're low your opponent could potentially just buy you out of the game. Rewards can give you a shot of digging yourself out of that hole and putting your opponent on the back foot... but it's heavily dependent on which rewards are visible and what you figure your odds are of getting something useful from the blind pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.