United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want updates on when new TGIF polls are posted, or want to look at the results of past polls go to The TGIF Poll Subscription Thread.

Poll: The 261st TGIF Poll
As we transition into November, I thought it would be nice for us all to take a moment and give thanks. I'm doing it early in the month to draw no direct connections to American Thanksgiving. But I think it's good for us to recognize others we appreciate.
If you could name one person in your life who was most influential in cultivating your love of gaming, who would it be?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
A family member
43.4% 144
A friend
33.1% 110
A coworker
3.0% 10
An acquaintance
2.4% 8
A website
9.9% 33
Other
8.1% 27
Voters 332
Who taught you your favorite game? If you don't have a favorite, just pick a game you love.

(You can pick more than one option if multiple things apply to this person)
I read the rules and figured it out myself (Thank you, me!)
65.0% 217
A family member
5.7% 19
A friend
22.5% 75
A member of my game group
11.1% 37
A coworker
0.6% 2
An aquaintance
2.1% 7
A website
7.2% 24
Someone I met at a convention
2.7% 9
Other
1.8% 6
I don't remember
1.5% 5
Voters 334
Which aspects of BGG do you appreciate the most?

(Check your Top 5 favorite features.)
Auctions / Marketplace
13.4% 45
BGG Con
7.4% 25
Blogs
5.9% 20
Collection Data
40.7% 137
Contests
7.4% 25
Files
42.7% 144
Forum Threads
60.8% 205
Game Rankings
31.8% 107
Geekbuddies
12.2% 41
GeekChat
0.9% 3
Geeklists
47.5% 160
GeekQuestions
1.8% 6
General Game Info
41.2% 139
Golden Geek Awards
2.1% 7
Guilds
11.6% 39
Images
29.7% 100
Play by Forum Games
4.5% 15
Polls
10.1% 34
Reviews
59.1% 199
RPG Geek
2.7% 9
Rules Questions
35.0% 118
Secret Santa
10.4% 35
Session Reports
10.1% 34
Strategy Articles
8.6% 29
Subforums
5.6% 19
Trades
19.3% 65
Video Game Geek
1.5% 5
Other Things I Forgot
9.5% 32
Voters 337
This poll is now closed.   338 answers
Poll created by Blott
Closes: Thu Nov 7, 2013 6:00 am

4. Call out another BGG member and give them a hearty "Thank You" for something they've done which you appreciate.

Any discussion is encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Groeneweg
United States
Clear Lake
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice list this week!

I don't know if I can call out ONE person. I have to call out to the Thrifters out there who have helped me complete some games with spare parts they had. It's always appreciated and not thanked enough!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll give a big thank you to Ben Lott for doing this poll every week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I call out
John Stimson
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
!

First gamer I met from the site (and now I have met many others and made some great friends). Taught me PR (second fave game). Was part of the inspiration to form a game group (that has now lasted, weekly, over five years).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb

Thank you Roger for managing the GCL Gelato! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You forgot the News - both the BGG News and the iOS News. Both are great resources.

I call out
Andy Tinkham
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Someone who I would have never met if it had not been for BGG and BGG.con and now a great friend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
I'll call out
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
for making the Bay a good place to be. (And of course Ben and the rest of the guys)

I really must also give a shout out to
Larry Doherty
United States
Windsor, Northern-
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the most generous person I have ever come across. I mentioned in a thread that I played softball in the summer and that I liked Milk Duds but you could not get them in the UK.

The next thing I know I get a big package from Larry with a load of softball gear and lots of packets of Milk Duds. And Larry keeps on giving, I’ve got a birthday and Christmas card from him every year since then. And a birthday present every year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
If you could name one person in your life who was most influential in cultivating your love of gaming, who would it be?

Me. My dad has been useful in picking up used games though.
But I think I was more influential in my choice.

Which aspects of BGG do you appreciate the most?

The biggest thing is having a platform for my video playthroughs.
Doing them really got me back into gaming.

Call out another BGG member and give them a hearty "Thank You" for something they've done which you appreciate.

How about one for everyone who helped save needy games?
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/68170/calandales-chari...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
:C.h.r.i.s. M.c.G.o.w.a.n:
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A big thank you to the entire BGG community.

There are so many great people I have met through board gaming, but I want to send a thank you out to 2 gamers who really helped me with my re-discovery of the modern board game hobby at my FLGS in January 2006.

John Greenwood
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and N/A

They were both very patient and helpful in exposing me to a large number of games in a quick amount of time. I would show up week after week and they would have a new game (or two or three) that they were eager to teach and get played. They were very friendly, supportive and encouraging with strategy and requests if I discovered a game title that I wanted to try out.

Neither is very active anymore at my FLGS (family, move, work, etc), but I will never forget what they did for me. I keep those memories fresh when I see a "newbie" walking into the game playing area of our FLGS game nights and I make an effort to be welcoming and friendly so that the community continues to grow and flourish. I really enjoy seeing the progression of our regular attendees from newbie to veteran gamer and the many paths they take on their journeys.

Thanks guys! We need to set up a game day sometime when our schedules allow for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Mayes
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
Spin Termite
badge
When I'm not looking, my games play each other!
mbmbmbmbmb
I give a hearty Thank you to

Boris Dvorkin
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

He helped me out during my first Mage Knight PBF even though he was my opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Blott wrote:
4. Call out another BGG member and give them a hearty "Thank You" for something they've done which you appreciate.

You know, there's a reason they have to limit speeches at the Oscars - it's far too easy to come up with lots of folks to thank.

But, restraining myself to one, I'll point to someone I suspect most folks on BGG don't know:

Michael Tsuk
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts [MA]
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

While there are many, many (, many, many, many, many...) folks who have contributed greatly to my involvement in and enjoyment from boardgames, most of the chains of events by which those folks have contribute eventually work their way back to Michael. When we were both working for DEC, Michael saw that I was looking for additional gaming opportunities, and invited me to a group he was part of - and which we both still attend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Ben is too easy of a target to call out for this poll.

It's like children, should I really call any one person out?

The BGG community 'as a whole' is filled with really great people, whom care about gaming and often times really want to help people out.

It's a great group of people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
for introducing me to London on Board!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - Huge thanks go out to my brother. Little brothers like me can be annoying pests, yet my big bro dealt with my irritation by playing games with me. I still have fond memories of time spent playing Scotland Yard, Go For It!, and Clue. He even let me win every once in awhile. Now we have carried that joy of playing games together into adulthood, and have a blast whenever we're together. Thank you to...

Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

2 - I read through those Lord of the Rings rules myself. I still didn't get it, so I sat up the game and played a practice scenario, but still had questions. I owe big thanks to a good friend who has since moved away, but he sat down and played this game with me for the first time, and was patient while I still fumbled through rules questions. Thank you to Dan (not a BGG member.)

3 - Obviously I love using Polls, and Geeklists are also a favorite. I've received some great games thanks to Trades. I chat with GeekBuddies all the time, and have even met some face-to-face. All these things are awesome, but the one thing that really brought me here is the Collection Data. It's great to have that way of tracking the games I own, play, and what I think of them. Thank you to...

Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb

4 - Ugh, so many I want to mention! Please don't take offense if I don't mention you here. I think I'm going to call out Andy. Seriously, he came across an ocean and yet was willing to make time to game with me. With only a handful of face-to-face encounters I feel we've built a real friendship. He's also a superb game teacher, and introduced me to 6 of my Top 100 games, including my #5 favorite and Rikki's #1 favorite. Thank you to...

Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to...

Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

...for welcoming me to a game group several years ago and patiently teaching me games such as Twilight Struggle, Merchant of Venus, Troyes plus many more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Stephen Mould
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

My brother, ultimate influence on all matters "geeky".
A thousand thank yous for everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too many great users who contribute so much, so just a big thanks to the entire community that makes this site so great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
1. A family member (with a certain website coming in second). My parents, and even grandparents spent a lot of quality time playing games with me as I grew up, and I never lost my fondness for that mode of interacting. BGG opened my eyes to greater world of designer games that has kept me going with my family.
2. I taught myself the rules to Tigris & Euphrates.
3. BGG.Con, Collection data, Game rankings, Geeklists, Rules Questions
4. Outside of family, Scott Alden & Derk Solko are the two individuals most responsible for my interest in this hobby, and I want to thank them. From putting this site together, producing one of the first board game related podcasts out there (we miss you Board Game Speak!), putting on the yearly convention, and so much else, they have enriched many, many people's lives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes cum Grano Salis
United States
Finger Lakes
New York
flag msg tools
badge
"It's not hard to design a game that works, the real challenge is making one that people want to play again and again."--Martin Wallace
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll thank the entire Swedish Meatball GCL. They handed me a microphone and after more than a year haven't even asked for it back!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 I think my Dad has to take the credit for my interest in boardgames... I remember as a child seeing games like Monopoly, Risk and Cludeo in his cupboard and wondering when I'd be old enough to play... later, we'd get into games like Careers, Exploration and the old Games Workshop published games such as Talisman. When I re-discovered boardgames in about 2003, having played Catan, Dad wanted to play and we played that and other games many times in the next 2 to 3 years up until he lost his fight with cancer. Miss you a lot Dad!

2 Arkham Horror is my favourite game, and I picked it up pretty much on a whim not long after I'd gotten back into boardgames. I read the rules myself and then my brother and I set it up on his bed (he didn't have a dining table at the time) and played it for the first time. We lost horribly and probably got some of the rules wrong, but we had a blast and have played it a whole lot since... More recently my brother has preferred to play Race for the Galaxy, but we do still play Arkham on occasions.

3 So many aspects of the site to choose from, it's very hard. I do have to pick VGG because I have to admit spending quite a bit of time over there now that I have less opportunity for boardgames and more for videogames. I also use Collection Data, and definitely Geekbuddies and Geeklists and Game Information. (not to mention Play by Forum and well just everything else).

4 I have to call out at least two people, though I'd call out a few more if I could.
Firstly
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb

Who I'd seen around the geek a bit, partly because his monk avatar was easily recognisable and we seemed to share an interest in co-operative games... but it was almost out of the blue that Ben picked me to follow him as Geek of the Week, which pretty much started the ball rolling on our Friendship. I have loved our game sessions with Ben and Rikki, and whenever my wife and I get to the states we always try to fit in some time gaming with them.

I also need to mention
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

who I first came across when I was involved with grading games according to the amount of language on the components. Mike pitched in and tagged a whole lot of games, and we gradually started to have conversations about games across various forums/geeklists etc. To facility game discussion Mike set up the first "Fight Club" which eventually spawned a host of Game Chat Leagues. Mike has also travelled to the UK at least twice to game with some of his geekbuddies, including myself... and when my wife and I were in hospital expecting our first child, he did some detective work and had flowers sent to us. He is a great person to play games with, and he's been a very generous and thoughtful friend.

And now I need a handkerchief!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
My shout out goes to Tim Thorp

Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb

Years ago, for no discernible reason, he sent me a copy of Colosseum kicking off years of mutual game gifting at various times throughout the year. Man hug for you Tim!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
Redbeard's Gaming Gratitude is extended to these individuals, for which I am thankful.

Jim Black
United States
Moraine
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For walking the long path of games with me since first we met my freshman year in University.

Scott Mellon
United States
Erie
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For being willing to be the first person to welcome me to game in a city unfamiliar to me, showing me that games can take you far.

Gwen
Belgium
oost-vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mb

Philip Homatidis
England
flag msg tools
badge
For showing me that games and gamers are unreasonably nice folks, all over the world, no matter how far away or how different.

Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For talking me out of my frustrations as a new gamer, and talking me out of my desire to isolate my gaming to only people that I knew well, since the first open groups that I attended in my metropolitan area had some truly unbearable twits. I have had better luck with other gatherings since.

Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb

Tom Vasel
United States
Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb

Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb

Wil Wheaton
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
For reviewing games for the benefit of my excitement, and for the benefit of sparing my sparse wallet from games not worth my excitement.

Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb

N/A

Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmb

Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
ya gotta bunny/duck it in your head
badge
"I looked at my hands, I understood that one fine day, one fine evening to be precise, they would no longer be hands but some other awful thing." —Jack Kerouac
mbmbmbmbmb

Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge

David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb

For making BGG, VGG, RPGG, Chit Chat, The Arcade, and The Tavern into places interesting and funny enough to be worth visiting nearly daily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
My shoutout goes to
Your Friendly Neighborhood Hairfarmer
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
He thrusts his fists against the posts and still insists he sees the ghosts.
badge
The rain in Spain falls mainly on Edmonds
mbmbmbmbmb

Who gave me some sound advice and motivation when I was going through a health crisis a couple of years ago. Totally unsolicited, but I was freaking out a little in GeekQuestions and he was nice enough to tell me about his experiences and he also checked in every month or so to see if things were getting easier. Thanks, Lee!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeeze, I like a lot of BGG folks. I wish more of my meatspace friends were active on here, but that's also part of the charm, I suppose!

I guess in particular:
Blatantly Obvious Barney
Nepal
Legion
Legion
flag msg tools
mb

Certainly the source of some fun weirdness while it lasted.

Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb

Aside from just being inspiring, interesting fellows, they give me hope for my dotage.

Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmb

For being so upbeat.

Plenty of others keep the place interesting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. parents and grandparents for playing games with me when I was little, now my husband for doing the same (my parents still play with us sometimes).

2. I'm not entirely sure, but I think DH and I figured out Descent together, could be that we played it first with a friend though. Hubby's still a dear for playing this with me so much, as he doesn't love it nearly as much as I do.

3. lots of stuff, main things are Women and Gaming forum and Geeklists (and this poll ).

4. Everyone at the Women and Gaming forum for giving me a nice cozy place to hang out at!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.