4 Posts

War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Choosing Action dice results rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Bill
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How much would it affect the game balance if each side got to choose all of their action die results? Would the Shadow benefit more or the FP?

If nothing else changed, it would render the 3 rings useless (unless a new rule allowed them to get a bonus action?), and would also lead to Aragorn being crowned earlier and Gandalf the White appearing sooner.

I wonder if this was ever tried and discarded in development.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard to say how it would affect the balance, but it would definitely make the game more predictable and less varied. Saruman would come out first turn every game, Strider would get crowned first or second turn every game, Gandalf would always return ASAP, you would almost never have 0 eyes or 4+ eyes, and opportunistic FPMVs would almost never happen because the SP would have plenty of army/muster dice.

So, it would probably favor the FP more because of the Will of the West dice. But, either way, I have no desire to play this way. Some of the other players have played where you can choose one of your action dice (no WoW allowed) to help mitigate some of the huge luck swings. I think that approach has some merit, but anything beyond that dramatically changes the spirit of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly I think it would just spoil the game. It certainly wouldn't make it more strategic as you may be thinking, if anything it would probably make it less strategic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Bill
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think you're right. This game is like a rain forest ecosystem, and I would be pouring lead byproducts into the Amazon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.