Popular Tags: [View All]
Hank Panethiere
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of our local stores has a 50% off section and currently has a lot of good games to choose from...actually too many. I need advice on which ones to buy. If it were you which games would you pick from this list to buy at 50% off. Even at 50% off I can't afford to buy all of them so I need some direction. Also willing to buy for trade purposes so if any look interesting to you let me know via geekmail and maybe we can work out a trade. I like to trade in shrink for in shrink if possible.

Alladins Dragons, Atilla, Domaine, Camelot Legends,
Fearsome Floors, Alhambra, Cartegena, Magdar,
Blood Feud in New York, Power Grid, Azteca,
Warhamster Rally, Dragonland, Merchants of Amsterdam,
Time Pirates, Battlemist, Thieves of Baghdad, Bounty,
Bunches of 18xx titles, Elasund, Candamir, Wizard Kings,
Vampire (2003), Children of Fire, Usurppe, Mississippi Queen,
Edison & Co., Princess Ryans Star Marines, Clout Fantasy,
Caravans of Ahldarahd

Thanks for any input ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Richert
United States
Springboro
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid and Ursuppe, you can thank me later!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
err..where is this locality?

The only one on the list I have is Blood Feud (as yet unplayed). I've always thought Mississippi Queen, and Power Grid looked interesting. I also have Lowenherz...and Domaine is supposed to be a kinder/gentler version of that game. I know little about the rest of 'em.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gallardo
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer wrote:
Power Grid and Ursuppe, you can thank me later!

Agreed...maybe Wizard Kings as well if you're into block games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kemmerer
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would definately recommend Power Grid and Alhambra. I've also enjoyed playing both Cartagena and Camelot Legends and have heard many good things about Domaine, Elasund and Ursuppe. Can't speak to the rest of them.

Although another strategy would be to get as many of the really expensive titles at 50% off because the cheaper ones don't hurt as bad if you're paying retail or even up to 30% off. You may never buy some of the more expensive titles later on if you had to pay $35-$50 each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of those, I've only played Alhambra, Power Grid and Cartagena.

Gut instinct (actually, residual impressions of games after years of BGG exposure, plus some numbers after a couple minutes of research):

Snag Alladin's Dragons.

Atilla bugs a lot of people, but some like it a lot too; I think it sounds interesting.

Domaine is based on Lowenherz, and looks pretty. Lowenherz was fun.

Camelot Legends looks very American and fiddly.

Alhambra is great. One of my faves. Sorta like Ticket to Ride crossed with Acquire/Union Pacific. Or, a better version of ZooSim/O Zoo Le Mio.

I found Cartagena dreadfully dry and boring. You can try it out at www.youplay.it.

I've only played Power Grid on BSW (online), but I liked it a lot. I'd definitely get it for 50% off.

Azteca has an average of 5.7. That's usually a bad sign. On the other hand, Chris Farrell rates it a 7, and Walt Mulder gives it 7.8.

Dragonland looks like a fun light family game.

Time Pirates flashes up a sign in my head that says, "Danger, Will Robinson!" Average of 5.85.

Thieves of Bagdad I'd never heard of, but it's another 5.8'er.

Elasund sounds quite good.

Wizard Kings, if that sort of thing's your bag, looks good.

Ursuppe's always been spoken well of.

Mississippi Queen (you know what I mean) won the SdJ, but sounds like it might be a little on the dry side.

Edison & Co. averages 4.52 from 146 votes. That's a definite red flag. Not many designer games manage to be sub-5.0.

Princess Ryan's Star Marines has a 5.16 average, and more traders than wanters.

Clout Fantasy only averages 5.9, but sounds like it could be goofy fun, if purchased cheaply enough.

Caravans of Ahldarahd also ranks low, and sounds like it doesn't work very well.

Summary:

I recommend Alhambra and Power Grid first, and maybe Ursuppe, Domaine, Elasund or Wizard Kings if you dig 'em.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k b
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Power Grid and Domaine are both good games. Cartagena is light but I always enjoy it. I've never played Wizard Kings, but for 50% off, I'd jump on it to give it a try. I've never played Elasund, but I'd look into it for 50% off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Degann
United States
Tarzana
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid, Merchants of Amsterdam, Domaine, Ursuppe, Atilla, Alhambra, maybe Aladdin's Dragons. In that order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Panethiere
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
excellent info...thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
kaysville
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alhambra and Power Grid get my vote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll agree with people's recommendations of Power Grid. I would also pick up Atilla, but I realize I'm in the minority on that one.

I'm curious as to which 18xx titles they have? If one of them is 1830, snag it and sell it for quite a tidy profit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Castellucci
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Any recommendation would depend on how many people you usually play with, and how heavy of a game you favor.

I'd pick up Alhambra hands down, it's a great gateway game. Power Grid is okay too, but it's a little heavy for some groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aladdin's Dragons*, Domaine, Camelot Legends, Fearsome Floors, Cartegena, Blood Feud in New York, Power Grid, Usurppe, Mississippi Queen*.

I just copied and deleted the rest.

These are the titles you will be glad to have picked up for 50% off, especially since the ones marked with an * are out of print. These games all have many many positive ratings and comments, are high on the BGG list, or are from my own experience, just plain fun.

The others are either a crapshoot or broken or mileage-may-vary, basically not worth your money, with the exception of Elasund and Candamir IF you are a huge Teuber fan, and possibly Alhambra due to its high ratings as a gateway game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
Domaine, Blood Feud in New York, Power Grid and Mississippi Queen are on my radar.

If they are cheap buy as many as you can and trade the ones that don't appeal to you later on.

Hey, buy Blood Feud in New York for me and I'll pay you back later.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwerdtfeger
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for these:

Alladins Dragons, Domaine, Fearsome Floors, Alhambra, Power Grid, Merchants of Amsterdam, Elasund, Usurppe, Mississippi Queen,

Also, these are maybes depending on your likes:

Atilla, Camelot Legends, Cartegena, Wizard Kings

My two cents

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
If it was me I would get the following. The ones in italics I would do a bit more research, check Geekbuddy analysis etc first, but the rest I would probably just get.

Domaine, Fearsome Floors, Alhambra, Cartegena, Blood Feud in New York, Power Grid, Merchants of Amsterdam,Bunches of 18xx titles, Elasund, Usurppe, Princess Ryans Star Marines

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.