Subject: The World Almost Died! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S. Fakhouri
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Hello everyone,

Just played my second game of Tomorrow yesterday and it was a (literal and figurative) blast! I was introduced to a new board gaming group and they took to the idea of Tomorrow quite well (especially considering how close it is to Halloween). Much biological and nuclear chucking was had, and good fun was had all around.

The game was played with 5 players. I (being the rules 'splainer) took on the role of the Arab Caliphate (additionally absolutely nothing to do with my Middle Eastern heritage... nope... not at all) since it's touted as a pretty challenging role (spoiler: it is). China, the US, the EU, and Russia were filled by other relatively new people who I had not met before, though the person who introduced me to the gaming group took on the EU.

Round 1 begins with some very tepid biological attacks at other neutral countries. China decides to draw a yellow strategy card. China and the US launch bio attacks across the Southern Pacific (Australia kicks the bucket early due to a lucky spread roll) and India, specifically going for early points without angering anyone. Russia launches a bio-attack and announces they are going for Southern America; also neutral territory. Everyone's kind of in "Kumbaya" mode right now, so no one chooses to block. Russia reveals and announces he's actually going after China! First blood! It's not particularly deadly, but China is now upset and vowing revenge. The Arab Caliphate and the EU expand out militarily and try to nab the Cyber card from China. It turns out almost everyone had the same idea (I think no one picked Espionage the first round), and after a round of revealing Cyber cards, it ends up with the EU.

Yeah, you do not want the EU holding on to the Cyber card for too long!

Round 2 begins with the "For Israel" event card. I am extremely shortly thereafter nuked by the EU. The Arab Caliphate is angry! I picked Terror and Biological for my two actions. After the nuke the EU player picks the Arab Caliphate next. I use my Terror on the EU to discard his Espionage card. We then all collectively spend turns Biologically attacking the EU (though I try to make sure that the spread to the Arab Caliphate territory is low odds, which apparently worked out well). China, upset about the biological attack from Russia in the previous round, attacks Russia with a very nasty disease that knocks out two of his pawns. Russia chooses not to retaliate (I suspect he also picked Nuclear as one of his cards, gah!). Somehow, China is the only player to play the Cyber card and manages to get it back. Not bad.

Rounds 3 to 4 are fairly low-key, with alliances between the EU and Russia forming against the Arab Caliphate and China. The US, played by a even-keeled player, essentially sits to the side and tries not to anger too many people. Me, falling behind on points due to the Espionage blocks from the EU or Russia, launches a Terror special on the US after they draw a bunch of biological cards. Unfortunately, the CDC blocks that one (argh!). Additionally, one of my own biological launches are naturally blocked. The US is not happy with me, but she's just amused by how effective the CDC have been so far ("We should probably switch to playing Pandemic after this!"). The US still has all 5 of her pawns by the end of round 4.

We finally enter the red track during Round 4. Everyone took a lesson from us on military control and everyone draws a bunch of yellow strategy cards.

Round 5 is where the crazy starts. The event card reveals Nuclear Sabotage. China, the cybercard holder, picks the EU and detonates one of their nukes on his home territory (-6 points plus more for the last pawns, ouch!). The EU is now, very, very angry. Rounds 5 and 6 see him launching his remaining two nukes at China. The Russia (to his credit does not launch a single nuke throughout the whole game) and I are trying to stop everyone from launching nukes since we're not going as fast as we need to in terms of dropping the threat track. China, after losing control of South Korea and Japan in Round 6, takes it back with a military action. The US then plays a strategy card to drop a retaliatory nuke back on them. Ouch! China seems to be hurting, but they have scored a lot of points from their bio-attacks on the EU and Russia.

Round 7 is where I finally pierce the US's CDC defenses. 2 US pawns is enough to lower the threat track to black. I play a Coup D'Etat on EU territory before the drop, which gets me some more red strategy cards. I remember getting Diplomatic Immunity and the +2 Defense card.

Now with 3 rounds left (7-9), we're all scrambling to figure out how to get all the attacks done. Some players take the Cyber card away from China in Round 7, but China takes it right back in Round 8 with their once-per-game. After noticing how powerful a position the EU is in, China has consistently been taking control of the turn order away from the EU. This allows China and the Arab Caliphate to work together to minimize the damage done by the Russia and EU player. However, after noticing how well China is doing in terms of score from the strategy cards he got, I decide to plunge the knife on China in Round 8 to knock out a few of his citizens and drop the threat track further. I was not doing very well, between the early game nuke, and now the EU and Russia trying to knock out my military control (at this point, I had wished I was playing as India, where my defensive tanks would have been more effective!).

Round 9 comes in and we're 9 threat track points away from the end. China draws a black strategy card for their cyber action, which is probably a huge mistake. The EU, now extremely angry, declares himself to be in last place, putting him in a position of great power: If anyone attacks his territory or the people on his controlled areas, he will not play his biological card, meaning everyone will lose.

Or so we thought, China was secretly holding back "The Perfect Weapon" strategy card, which causes massive damage to Central Asia (grrr), Russia, and just a lot of territory in general (not much to China themselves, since they have already lost so many pawns). The game ends on China's second action, leaving the EU missing out on some good last minute points.

The game ends, and I did not come in last (surprise: The EU did) for a surprise! Russia took first with some great black strategy cards, China came in second, the US in a close third, and then me and the EU in a distant-ish 4th and 5th. Overall, a great game!

Can't wait to try this again with another gaming group I'm meeting with on Saturday soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan King (The Game Boy Geek)
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great. Did your first game start out with people attacking minor powers first?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Abner
United States
Johnstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was a great report! Did you ever use the Strike Then at Home power as the Caliphate?

Also, another FAQ addition-- when a card/event is played like Nuclear Sabotage you do NOT lose the 3 points for launching the nuke. You DO lose the points for having a nuke in your area.

The reason a player loses 3 points for a launch is that the nation is looked upon with disgust by the world community for nuclear aggression. Whereas bios are a means to an end, the nukes are just pure spite and vengeance.

You lose points for having the marker in your territory due to the damage it does to the landscape.

If a nuke "accidently" goes off in your homeland, you do not suffer the penalty for nuclear aggression. In that case, no one receives the penalty.

Really glad to hear you had a good time.

bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How long did your games take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Fakhouri
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
wabner wrote:
That was a great report! Did you ever use the Strike Then at Home power as the Caliphate?

Also, another FAQ addition-- when a card/event is played like Nuclear Sabotage you do NOT lose the 3 points for launching the nuke. You DO lose the points for having a nuke in your area.

The reason a player loses 3 points for a launch is that the nation is looked upon with disgust by the world community for nuclear aggression. Whereas bios are a means to an end, the nukes are just pure spite and vengeance.

You lose points for having the marker in your territory due to the damage it does to the landscape.

If a nuke "accidently" goes off in your homeland, you do not suffer the penalty for nuclear aggression. In that case, no one receives the penalty.

Really glad to hear you had a good time.

bill

Ah, that's really good to know! Poor EU player was feeling really upset when that happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Fakhouri
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
warpi9 wrote:
How long did your games take.

It took a bit under 2 hours. Explaining the rules was at least 10 minutes or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I've actually played this twice since that post and I can say that it's actually a game that has a shorter play time than listed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.