13 Posts

Spartacus: A Game of Blood & Treachery» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about unclear situation with Destitude card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blaze Baleczny
msg tools
Hi, last night a strange situation happened during one of my games:

I won fight which also was giving me my 12th point of influence, thus giving me victory, when my opponent played Destitute card on me. Now, I didn't have money in my treasury that time, BUT I HAD PUT WAGER ON MY WIN EARLIER THIS FIGHT.

So I didn't physically collect money by taking it from board and bank to my treasury yet, but there was money waiting to be collected for the win.

Is it proper way to play destitude card? How do you think?

And a second question: if I got 11 influence points and I win fight giving me BOTH a champion and a 12th influence point and someone plays reaction which is -1 to my influence: do I win or not? FAQ states that you can't have more than 12 points of incfluence, but since the point from champion works more like temporary 'buff' or 'passive effect' it is really unclear to come up with solution, because one can say, that you should lose your influence from winning a fight, but keep your 'passive' point for champion (since your champion is still alive and allright), giving you victory anyway.

Thanks for feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Yes, a perfectly good way to use destitute. (Edit: Never bet all your gold ).

And the limits for Influence are absolute. You can never go below 1 or higher than 12, so you cannot have anything "in the bank" for later - even if it is from a champion (the influence point he gives is no different than any other once you have moved your influence marker up - and if you are already at 12 you cannot move the marker up).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blaze Baleczny
msg tools
Sorry, but I need to make this perfectly clear: he played the card AFTER I won the fight. So the money for winning was actually already mine. I just didn't take it from bank yet. You still say it was valid?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Right - what I thought. And yes still valid.

I read the rules as steps you go through (and think it is important to do so in all games with cards, that can be played out of turn - or like here where there is no turn order).
And after every step there should be an option to play any reaction cards (if they don't say exactly when they must otherwise be played). So on p.13 of the rules the order for the aftermath of an arena match is:

1. Winner gets 1 influence
2. Favor token is gained (converted to champion token if the third one)
3. Settling Wagers
4. Host may have the losing combatant killed

After 2. you don't have the money in your treasury yet and so you can be a target of destitute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blaze Baleczny
msg tools
Yet another question I forgot to ask:

If my opponent shows me card during Intrigue phase and ask me for his support, after I agree, can he change the card and play entirely different card still using my support?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Yes, you give support to the Dominus, not to a specific scheme. Though if you pull a stunt like that too often, no one will trust you for the rest of the game (or maybe the next 5-10 games ).

Edit: I was wrong on this one - you do give support to a specific scheme. Missed that in the rules . The player asking for it does not have to tell you anything about it (or all of it), but he is committed to that scheme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blaze Baleczny
msg tools
Thanks a lot Randor, your feedback has been a huge help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Holliday
msg tools
Gotta disagree in this particular instance, as soon as you win the fight you have 12 and win. Game over

What your opponent should have done was play the destitude card sometime before you won the fight not after. And next time keep 1 gold laying in your treasury during auction phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Holliday
msg tools
If my opponent shows me card during Intrigue phase and ask me for his support, after I agree, can he change the card and play entirely different card still using my support?

Yes he can, but you can also then do everything in your power to make sure that he doesn't win the game, you probably wont win either but attack him each and every time you have any scheme card. Offer any and all support to anyone attacking him. If you win host invite him first and then pair him up against the strongest gladiator from the remaining players. Then thumbs down any of his gladiators that lose a fight even if they have 1 or 2 favors.

Your not playing to win anymore, just playing to make sure he loses. Next time he wont be an ass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
tvbusnavy wrote:
Your not playing to win anymore, just playing to make sure he loses. Next time he wont be an ass.

Or he'll be more of an ass. It's won't be about playing a game any more, it'll be about your friendship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kraft
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tvbusnavy wrote:
Gotta disagree in this particular instance, as soon as you win the fight you have 12 and win. Game over

What your opponent should have done was play the destitude card sometime before you won the fight not after. And next time keep 1 gold laying in your treasury during auction phase.

Wrong you always win after a phase so in this case after the arena phase is completed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Enies wrote:
tvbusnavy wrote:

Wrong you always win after a phase so in this case after the arena phase is completed.

If you wonder it's the very first thing on p.17.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mordante Mordante
msg tools
tvbusnavy wrote:

Yes he can, but you can also then do everything in your power to make sure that he doesn't win the game, you probably wont win either but attack him each and every time you have any scheme card. Offer any and all support to anyone attacking him. If you win host invite him first and then pair him up against the strongest gladiator from the remaining players. Then thumbs down any of his gladiators that lose a fight even if they have 1 or 2 favors.

I could be wrong as I don't have the rules in font of me or the FAQ but you can only change the target not the scheme itself and possibly get the support of someone only to then use the scheme on the person who gave you support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.