Subject: Scary movies rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a number of horror films, scary movies as they are often called.
And my contention is that the bulk of them should be called startling movies. Because they typically aren't scary at all, rather there are a few scenes that are startling.

Have you ever seen a film that you found scary?

Two come to mind for me.

Spoorloos 1998 Sluizer
-Make sure to see this one and not the American remake.

Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father 2008 Kuenne
-Absolutely horrifying

Any movies ever scared you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
United States
San Ramon
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I agree, it's easy to startle someone, but to scare is difficult.

I once watched The Ring by myself around midnight. I didn't sleep until the sun came up.

There were several moments in The Sixth Sense that stuck with me and had me afraid to turn the lights out.

When I was a kid, I was afraid of my dad for years after watching The Stepfather.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The original Ring (Ringu) movie scared me, sequel wasnt bad either

And Dark Water (same writer and director as Ringu) - the original Japanese version of course, not the remake.

And The Blair Witch Project - it just creeps me out

More recently: Insidious and The Conjuring
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And I agree with you about "startling" movies - any movie can just have stuff jump up at you (and ok, Insidious/The Conjuring do this a bit...).

Probaly why I like Blair Witch - theres no gore, you never see anything/anyone really. But its the small things in it that always disturbed me - like walking all day in a straight line and ending up back where you started. Maybe its just a city persons fear of the outdoors or something. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Lincoln
NE: NEBRASKA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
And The Blair Witch Project - it just creeps me out

I live in the bottom half of a nearly 100 year old and supposedly haunted house. I don't go into cellar at all. I call it the Blair Witch basement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Let go Jets!
mbmbmbmbmb
The only two movies that truly 'scare' me are:

Event Horizon: The idea (and how it plays out) absolutely terrifies me.

Fire in the Sky: Based on a true story and I couldn't go out in the woods for a few months
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Silence of the Lambs.

I had to watch Oklahoma! right after to scrub it from my brain.

I always watch The Shining around Halloween. Great movie with some very creepy Jack.

Mostly though, I'm not a fan of scary movies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Birds. Freaked me out as a kid.

Psycho too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Blair Witch; it is the one that has gotten to me the most. It really creeped me out, especially how it tied everything together in the final scene. Yikes.

My wife and I were fortunate enough to see it in a cold, empty theater, and we had a hard time getting to sleep that night. The brilliance of that movie is that it is continuously building up a sense of fear and dread. Not shock.

Edit to respond to the post above: for me it definitely wasn't the fear of the outdoors. It was the fear of something clearly deliberate and possibly malevolent, and the complete lack of shelter from it.

I love Silence of the Lambs, but I think of it more as a thriller than a scary movie, although the psychosis of Jame Gumb is pretty horrifying. (The book is good at that, too, as was Red Dragon.)

Startl-y movies just bug me. The cat that jumps across the frame. The loud phone that rings in a completely silent shot. The killer that appears as the door closes/opens. Okay, you got me, my adrenaline is pumping. How about an ominous hum? Or a light that goes out suddenly and makes that woman in the seat behind me kick my chair? Oh, wait, I know, maybe a children's nursery rhyme in a minor key!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeRm! wrote:
The only two movies that truly 'scare' me are:

Event Horizon: The idea (and how it plays out) absolutely terrifies me.

Definitely
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
I was.... Maybe... 6 or 7 when Jaws came out.

I was pretty young as well, even the trailers on tv used to terrify me. Never managed to see the actual movie as a kid. I remember having to go swimming (I dont think it was even connected to the ocean), and just closing my eyes, putting my head down, and trying not to think of rows of huge teeth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

Misery ... cuz it really could happen - people are the scariest monsters!

Idiocracy ... and I list this only half in jest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only time movies ever gave me the willies was when I was young.

The movie that has ever really scared me was the Thing. The 1982 version. Although, in hindsight, maybe ten was a bit to young for that particular movie. Friend's big bro let us watch it, and he caught a bit of flak from his parents. My friend was even more freaked out than melaugh

What didn't help was the fact the people next door to us had two huskies.

I still count The Thing as my favourite horror movie though.

As far as Blair Witch goes, I have never wished for an hour or so of my time back harder than I did after sitting through that steaming heap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you talk about eery rather than horror: Jacob's Ladder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Salem's Lot (1979) is a masterpiece. It scared the bejesus out of me when I was growing up.

Disturbing music, mysterious, atmospheric, and creepy, with representations of evil that are SCARY, and I mean TRULY SCARY things to avoid, like hell itself!

Make sure you watch the 183 minute version which is the complete mini-series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
I'm glad to see others mentioning The Blair Witch Project, since it's usually the one that I cite as being the scariest movie I've seen, while the majority of people seem to dog it for whatever reason. I saw it during its opening weeks, when it was only playing in a few cities, when there were still no end credits, the actors were not allowed to make public interviews, and many people still thought it was real (I accidentally spoiled it for myself shortly before seeing it). Some friends and I took my dad's car into Chicago to the one theater that was playing it. When the movie ended, I overheard people saying "That was just wrong", and so on. We drove back to the burbs while a helluva storm hit. When I finally got home, I went up to my bedroom (3rd floor), only to remember that I had washed my bedsheets that day...down in the basement. So, I turned on every light on the way to the laundry room to get my sheets. Anyway, I went to sleep and at some point in the morning, I woke up and saw this shadowy shape walking quickly towards me. I yelled out "Oh, shit!" and rolled over, covering myself with my blanket. My dad laughed, asked if it was a scary movie and took his car keys and went to work. modest

So, yeah, I think it's effective at allowing a suspension of disbelief and being genuinely creepy.

I'll second the vote for Jacob's Ladder. It remains thoroughly creepy throughout the movie while you are figuring out what's going on.

Enter the Void was scary for me in a different way, but not in the usual manner. It's certainly not a "scary movie" or a "horror movie". But its treatment of death had an extreme effect on me. But maybe that was just me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I still find ROSEMARY'S BABY to be scary. The movie generates a sense of dread, paranoia, and helplessness as Mia Farrow just can't seem to convince anyone of what is happening.

THE EXORCIST was scary when it came out in the 1970s. Although, people who see it for the first time now usually don't think so. That movie got a LOT of buzz because it actually scared people into going to church (church attendance supposedly rose noticeably across the U.S. after the movie was released). You couldn't watch a TV talk show without seeing a guest who had something to do with the book or movie or was an exorcism expert.

JAWS caused people to stop going to the beach. Home swimming pool sales supposedly increased after it came out.

I agree with the OP's comments about startling movies. I don't consider a movie to be scary just because something jumps out and startles the audience for a couple of seconds. It's scary if you are still thinking about it long after the movie is over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Let go Jets!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to support The Blair Witch Project backers somewhat. When I saw the movie it was during the initial hype (Sci-Fi "documentary and such) before the actual making of the movie came out. I go into movies to be entertained and truly thought this was a film that was just found. It scared me to my core and I didn't even talk with my friends after we left, or for a few days later. I am grew up in the Alaskan wilderness in a small village so I know the woods, but I also grew up with Natives so I have a different understanding of the unknown. I think if the movie was seen before it was "found out" and if someone has a background that less based in Western "there is an scientific answer for everything" mindset it was truly scary. Just my two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
bortmonkey wrote:
Maybe its just a city persons fear of the outdoors or something. ;-)

That was one of my theories about the supposed "scariness" of Blair Witch. The few of us who saw it kept wondering why trees and sticks were supposed to be scary. Our conclusion was that for anyone who wasn't used to being in the woods, it probably was scary.

And it's not even a scary woods. It's not even what I would call woods, more like the overgrown bit inside a highway exit ramp.

It's the first movie I remember being angry that I paid to see it. And I only paid $1.50 to rent the DVD.

What did I find scary?

"The Grudge" got to me. The meowing kid is stupid, but I hate, hate, hate climbing the stairs into the attic when its dark to this day. The shower scene was disturbing too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the time I got around to seeing Blair Witch, the idea that it was real was over, so it wasnt that aspect that did it for me.

When I was young, I read and then saw The Amityville Horror - that freaked me a bit. Those eyes appearing out the window - it was weeks before I could close a window at night.

Looking at it now, there doesnt seem anything too scary in that movie. And of course, the story has been thoroughly debunked as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:

I had to watch Oklahoma! right after to scrub it from my brain.

LOL - Now THAT'S scary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Verdigris97 wrote:

I love Silence of the Lambs, but I think of it more as a thriller than a scary movie, although the psychosis of Jame Gumb is pretty horrifying.

I think that's what bothered me the most. Guys like that really exist. I can handle supernatural horror and slasher style horror because it's all just make believe. I don't particularly enjoy them so I don't regularly seek them out. Silence of the Lambs was just - disturbing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
All my sins are of omission
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
When I saw Nightmare on Elm Street right after it came out, I was really scared. The idea of being vulnerable after sleeping, and the idea of being unable to control one's dreams really resonated with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.