Subject: So was there already an Ender's Game thread that I missed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Kob
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Surprised no one's talking about this yet. Saw it tonight with 2 other's who've read the book and one who hasn't. We were all very favorably impressed.

Excellent actor for Ender.

Pacing was good. For squeezing the novel into 2hrs you get a good, believable sense of Ender's development.

Source material respected, but not in a constricting way.

Obviously those who've read the book know how it ends, but the person who hadn't read it didn't see it coming.

My teenage daughter had "No idea" that "the old guy with the gray hair" was Han Solo. Though she did "feel like she'd seen him somewhere before."

It will be interesting to see how this does. It seems like a less than ideal time to release it since a lot of its target demographic will be buying tickets for Thor 2 instead next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
With Ender's Game Making Its Way to the Big Screen Today, What Board Game Reminds You of the Ender Series the Most?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Well, there was another one but it was in RSP. You don't want to go there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to it. It had a bit of a rough start on RT, but it's climbing at about 66% right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Kob
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Oh RSP'd. That explains why I missed it. Hardly ever go there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moon Knight wrote:
Oh RSP'd. That explains why I missed it. Hardly ever go there...

I wouldn't say you missed it, Marc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't care for Card's beliefs and he seems to be a jerk. Having said that, I went to the movie yesterday because my 12 year old son, who had read the book, really wanted to see it.

He thought it was awesome. My 10 year old daughter, who had read the book, was confused.

I thought it was average at best. Without giving anything away, I thought what was left out from the book really changed many of the characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanner Griffin
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Being my favorite book, I went in there nervous. Ever since The Last Airbender, I know that people can totally screw up good stories if they're not trying hard enough. I was pleasantly surprised, though. They did a pretty good job. The only thing I thought could have been better would be to have more about his undefeatable streak in battle school. But other than that, it's great. I think that the RSP issues are really what's subconsciously behind the poor reviews. They don't mean to judge it that way, but everyone seems to be mad at Card deep down, so they can't help but hate the film. Anyway, enough on that topic. The movie was good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw it. Liked it very much.

Unique. This was not another cookie-cutter Hollywood sci-fi action flick. I really enjoyed the story and depth.

Butterfield's acting. I wasn't expecting much, having seen Hugo. But the kid surprised me. He really has to portray a range of emotions and attitudes. He needed to come across as someone capable of psychotic tendencies to someone with compassion. He needed to walk a tight line of a spectacularly driven kid on the edge of break down. I was really impressed.

Harrison Ford. Awesome. Extremely believable. His best role in years for sure.

Visuals and special effects were top notch.

Pacing was great. The last 1/4 was brilliantly done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear some positive reviews from people who enjoyed the book, I've been looking forward to this one and our local newspaper panned the movie giving it 1 out of 5 stars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
Jatoha wrote:
Glad to hear some positive reviews from people who enjoyed the book, I've been looking forward to this one and our local newspaper panned the movie giving it 1 out of 5 stars.

Of course they panned it. As mentioned above, all of the cool people are into hating Card right now. He has committed the unpardonable sin of expressing his opinion that runs contrary to current trends. Because of his opinion (which has nothing to do with the movie), the work suffers from critical reviews (because we can't support his views). And that's about as far as you can go without this being tossed into the cesspool of RSP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Radford
United Kingdom
Lydney
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
Sixes again!
badge
A mighty fish-god am I.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure the fact that it's just yet another deeply average Hollywood adaptation of a deeply average novel explains the poor reviews without the need to recourse to "liberal media, teh hatorz".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
ya gotta bunny/duck it in your head
badge
"I looked at my hands, I understood that one fine day, one fine evening to be precise, they would no longer be hands but some other awful thing." —Jack Kerouac
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never understood the love for the novel, which came across to me as a padded YA depth charge. More power to those multitudes who enjoy it, but it missed me entirely.

Not being in the target demo, the movie just looks like more of the same.

Han Solo and Gandhi torture Hugo until he flips a Hitler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Card isn't criticized for his opinion; he's criticized for his batshit insane "solutions" to what he perceives to be society's biggest problems.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=orson+scott+card+crazy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys just can't, can you? Will there ever be a review thread of this movie that doesn't end up in RSP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
ya gotta bunny/duck it in your head
badge
"I looked at my hands, I understood that one fine day, one fine evening to be precise, they would no longer be hands but some other awful thing." —Jack Kerouac
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone needs to start a safe-harbor thread entitled

The Ender's Game Thread Where We Pretend the Author is Anonymous and Dead
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:
Jatoha wrote:

Of course they panned it. As mentioned above, all of the cool people are into hating Card right now. He has committed the unpardonable sin of expressing his opinion that runs contrary to current trends. Because of his opinion (which has nothing to do with the movie), the work suffers from critical reviews (because we can't support his views). And that's about as far as you can go without this being tossed into the cesspool of RSP.

Or maybe it was panned because it wasn't that good of a movie.

I wouldn't give it 1 star out of 5 but 2 or 2.5 seems reasonable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Butterfield and Ford were excellent. The visuals were pretty good.

But overall I found it disappointing, for reasons covered in spoilers below. I approve of most of the choices of what to cut from the book - if anything, they should have found a way to cut more. It felt rushed, and that hurt the story because it made most of the beats fall flat. I think the movie would have benefited with an extra 30 minutes and a bit more streamlining for the sake of story.

But my biggest problem with the movie disappoints me because there was no reason it couldn't have been done right:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
"The enemy's gate is down"

This one phrase is a key theme in the book. It epitomizes Ender's ability to throw out conventional thinking and approach a problem in an entirely new way.

When Ender faces what looks like a hopeless challenge in the Graduation Battle (one in which he curses Mazer for essentially cheating - another element inexplicably missing, and one necessary to drive Ender toward his own "cheat" of abandoning his ships to drive the MD to the planet) hearing "The enemy's gate is down" is a meaningful and inspirational callback and drives the final action.

But in the movie the line is a throwaway. It's not referring to a clever tactic that revolutionizes Battle School. It's just banter, devoid of any real meaning. Which makes the callback later in the movie almost nonsensical.

This lack of meaning is highlighted in how the director frames the Battle School scenes - do you ever get the sense that Ender's squad is moving "down"? Never. All of the action occurs on a traditional horizontal plane, despite the zero-G atmosphere and directly undercuts what is supposed to be part of Ender's brilliance.

I went in to Ender's Game skeptical - I've long felt that it is a story impossible to translate to film. Having seen the movie, I realize I'm wrong - it's not impossible. But this movie fumbled the ball before crossing the goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw it yesterday. I'd never the book. My date had never heard of the novel nor the controversy about Card. She was familiar with the actors and had respect for their previous work.

Early on I felt like I was at least 45 years past the target market. My companion who knew nothing about it said afterward,

Spoiler (click to reveal)
"I was hoping the final exam was the real battle because if I had to sit through another one I was walking out."

As a sidebar, based on the previews of coming attractions, we probably won't be going to many movies between now and the end of the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
I've never understood the love for the novel, which came across to me as a padded YA depth charge. More power to those multitudes who enjoy it, but it missed me entirely.

Not being in the target demo, the movie just looks like more of the same.

In high school and early college when I was devouring every book of science fiction and fantasy, we called Card the "Mormon Child Killer" because he seemed to love themes of torturing and killing off children in his books. And this was just reading the prose, no knowledge of any of his more interesting political rants.

While I think Ender's Game was a good read, I too feel it was not the classic many others have. I've had mixed feelings about the movie because I like good Sci-Fi movies but this one is not my favorite.

From these reviews, it looks like I can Pass.

So when are they going to do a movie on The Terminal Experiment, or Hyperion (that would probably have to be a miniseries).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:

How are you not writing screenplays for a living? How?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stone
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Stone is the name and Art is my game!
badge
What number are we thinking of? 69!
mbmbmbmbmb
Really enjoyed the film, it is perhaps the best film of the year for me, best science fiction film since fifth element. Harrison Ford should win an award for this, he was that good. I teach art, as an artist I don't have any problem separating the artist from the art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.