Mathias Heilmann
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After some pretty excessive playing for 7 hours yesterday, which was mainly due to us not finding gasoline since we just made one huge equipment pile and only got through the upper half, I took this morning to build a better, hopefully balancend deck for my fellow players and me. And since I'm quite content with the solution I wanted to share it with you:

Toxic City Mall - Cards:
All of them, except the pans. Remember to take Pa's Gun out before starting to play, since it is a pimp-weapon.

Season 2 - Cards:
All of them, except:
- 1 Clawhammer
- 2 Kukri

Season 1 - Cards:
None of them, except:
+ 2 Crowbar (1 to replace the missing Claw Hammer, one as starting equipment (see below))
+ 2 Machete (in exchange for the two Kukri we took out earlier: more diversity)
+ 1 Water
+ 1 Canned Food
+ 1 Bag of Rice (My try to balance the fact, that Season 2 and TCM combined have a lot more weapons and other useful stuff than Season 1. Also it will make finding this stuff a bit easier in missions you have to.)
+ 1 Glass Bottle (Molotovs shouldn't be THAT rare!)
+ 2 Gasoline (One for the extra Molotov, one to give the guy with the flamethrower a chance to actually use it. Also to make it more available as a mission objective - see intro text...)
+ 1 Molotov (to put aside with the 2 from S2)
+ 1 Aaahh! (Yeah, we hate this card, but let's admit that we added a lot of really nice stuff as well. If you get the feeling that the deck is too easy, you can just add more of these.)

+ Season 1 Uniques:
Ma's Shotgun
Evil Twins
Goalie Mask

Dog Companions:
If you chose to shuffle the dog companions into the deck, well that's where they'll go!

My suggested choice of starting weapons is (in order of participating survivors, stil chosen randomly, of course): Pistol, Fireaxe, Claw Hammer, Night Stick, Crowbar, Nightstick. If you should choose to play with more than 6 survivors, feel free to bring those pans to good use, or just add more Night Sticks if you're not THAT nostalgic.
The Crowbar is just in there for more diversity as well. If you think that three door openers is too much to start with, just replace it with the third Night Stick (or a pan? )

That's it from my side. Please let me know what you think about my solution. It will be a few days until I can test the deck in actual gameplay. If you don't like a particular thing, just change it, but please drop a line. Maybe you've found an even better deck and I wouldn't want to miss that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Anonymous
Germany
flag msg tools
A molotov in the deck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Rydin
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I am all for the diversity, why not keep all Kukri and Machete in to make it less hard to get matching pairs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Heilmann
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abbath wrote:
A molotov in the deck?

The Molotov and Nailbat aren't in the deck of course, but they're still needed in case someone crafts stuff.
Morphie wrote:
While I am all for the diversity, why not keep all Kukri and Machete in to make it less hard to get matching pairs?

It makes the "matching set"-abbility a bit more powerful but I see your point. Adding four more cards to the deck though will make the chances for non-weapon or even trash and Aaahh!-cards even smaller, thus reducing the difficulty again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad B
United States
Anderson
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I'd have to try out your deck for a few games to give a good review. We've been happy with our solution. We kept the Prison Outbreak deck the same but added the Machetes, a Flashlight, Goalie Mask, Bottles, Can of Gas, Crowbar and an AAHHH! from Season 1. And all the TCM cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thayne Weston
United States
Nibley
Utah
flag msg tools
The die has been cast- Julius Caesar
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did something like this but exchanged all the machetes for the Kurki. I forgot to add the extra water, food so I will do that. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunar Sol
msg tools
mb
I did something similar but kept the season 1 deck mostly untouched beyond the Machete/Kukri swap and have been pretty happy with it. Probably need to port up some Aaaaah! (though the nightsticks make these far less of an issue), gas, etc, but I like this overall. For completion's sake, don't forget to remove the Gunblades as well. Those are additional pimp weapons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ladd Everitt
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Can anyone provide advice on how to balance a deck that would include only Season 1 and TCM equipment cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
As my zombie city is not in Nepal, I'll go with the machette over the kukri every time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunderfoot wrote:
Can anyone provide advice on how to balance a deck that would include only Season 1 and TCM equipment cards?

Just shuffle them all together.

That's what I do.

What does 'balanced' even mean in this context?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ladd Everitt
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I'm having an issue with missions that require you to find bottles and gasoline. When you have a combined equipment deck with all the Season 1 and TCM cards in there, it's like finding a needle in a haystack trying to make a molotov or fuel a flamethrower.

So I'm looking for recommendations on combining and trimming those two decks specifically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunderfoot wrote:
I'm having an issue with missions that require you to find bottles and gasoline. When you have a combined equipment deck with all the Season 1 and TCM cards in there, it's like finding a needle in a haystack trying to make a molotov or fuel a flamethrower.

So I'm looking for recommendations on combining and trimming those two decks specifically.

Are there missions that specifically require that?

Anyway, the only cards I would consider leaving out are the Ultra Red weapons - the way I read the rules for these I see them as optional.

Also, if all you're looking for Gasoline and Glass Bottles or the Flamethrower for is to kill Abominations, then remember .44 Magnums and Hollow Points do the same thing, and they're endlessly reusable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ladd Everitt
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Not necessarily, but the game is hard enough where being able to burn a square here or there really helps. Thanks for the tips. I welcome any other suggestions anyone might have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Anonymous
Germany
flag msg tools
Thunderfoot wrote:

Remove some food supply, pistol, kukri/crowbar/machete cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dietsch
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
We have shuffled all the cards together and created 4 piles to choose from when searching. If you have a flashlight, you can even choose to take cards from different piles. This seems to help a little with things being buried at the bottom of one massive deck of equipment.

Will have to try your new starting items though, as that sounds like a nice mix of things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
MerlinUnderfoot wrote:
We have shuffled all the cards together and created 4 piles to choose from when searching. If you have a flashlight, you can even choose to take cards from different piles. This seems to help a little with things being buried at the bottom of one massive deck of equipment.

If you choose the wrong pile, things can still be buried at the bottom! Unless you rig the four piles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
That would actually have no impact on the game, as you don't know what is in any of the piles so the probability of what you draw remains the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Anonymous
Germany
flag msg tools
apotheos wrote:
That would actually have no impact on the game, as you don't know what is in any of the piles so the probability of what you draw remains the same.

True but the chance of long streaks of bad cards is lowered because you can always pick from another pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abbath wrote:
apotheos wrote:

True but the chance of long streaks of bad cards is lowered because you can always pick from another pile.

That doesn't lower your chance at all. You could pick up some rubbish from one pile, switch to another and get more rubbish, switch to another and get more rubbish etc. Unless you have rigged the four decks as pointed out above, you are just as likely to get long streaks of bad cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yup. This is a psychological gimmick with no material impact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:

It does have some material impact - 4 smaller piles are less likely to topple over than 1 big pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Stephanie Baynes wrote:
apotheos wrote:

It does have some material impact - 4 smaller piles are less likely to topple over than 1 big pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.