Poland
Kyre Banorg
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
Look at my horse, my horse is amazing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Because the random 15 from 25 variant can be a bit random. We came up with ways to decrease this (only) random factor in Theseus:
a. We take 15 random cards from the deck but players are allowed to look at them (to see what to expect during the game) and then shuffle their deck.
b. (never played) Players builds their deck before the game and then shuffle them.

What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think both are valid methods to minimize the impact of chance, but still leave something open to it (the order in which they appear).

I also think that you should not limit chance any further, e.g. by stacking the deck, and not shuffling, as that would diminish the idea of "use what you have", which clearly is an integral part of the game design (at least IMO). This only as an aside...

Finally, I don't think it necessary, as the surprise of what really is in your deck is what makes the "use what you have" situation even more interesting. But I do understand that some players will feel victim to chance too much, following the original rules...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
PoznaƄ
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
a) Doesn't change the game that much. You can see what's in there, but it seems like it doesn't influence the way you play - you still have to burn through some cards to get to others. You still want them installed, to get bonuses in all the sectors and to deny space to your opponents

b) We've played couple of games with this. The problem is that most of the time, the choices are rather obvious, i.e. when playing marines, you want both those "fire" cards, all the "assaults", etc. This, effectively requires others to pick all the strongest cards from their decks as well. If they don't do so, they don't stand a chance. Also, the same decks significantly increase the risk of playing the same game. You want this card there, and this one there, and that's it. The order will impact the board a little, but in the end, you have this particular image in mind and you will try to assemble it every time.

What works best for me is just know what's in your faction deck and how many per card you can have. This way you can have educated guesses about the possibility of cards to come later. But it seems like random 15 out of 25 is designed to "work with what you have, it should still be balanced". You can always disable your opponent's cards and that's a very powerful action, especially when played on "awaiting" spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Powell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about shuffling and distributing the cards into 5 decks of 5, then picking 3 from each for the final deck? I'm not experienced with the game but I'd imagine even though the "best" card will almost always get picked and the "worst" card will almost always not get picked (that is, unless the player is working on a strategy that requires you to pick the "worst" card) there will still be some pretty decent cards not picked because they were in such a good grouping or the same for a bad card that's the best of a bad bunch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sloan Lee
United States
Farmers Branch
Texas
flag msg tools
"What is the soul of a man? ... ain't nothing but a burning light."
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried a version in which we selected all the level 1,2 and 3 cards -- and then used a random drawing of base cards to round out the deck to 15 cards. You have the power cards in the deck, but then you shuffle them up and work with what comes out (as usual). It worked fine for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.