Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Kaestle
Switzerland
Rueschlikon
ZH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found an early swiss edition of monopoly. It's made by Carlit for the swiss toy sales company Franz Karl Weber who owned FAO Schwarz in the late seventies for a short period of time.

It's in perfect condition. The playing pieces aren't broken although they are very thin and fragile. Of course all the houses are made out of wood but I never saw a wooden money till in any other monopoly version.

Front:

Board:

Content:

Money:

Houses:

Pawns:

Can anyone tell me more about this edition? Year?
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Yes, that's a Japanese CTR ring shield cut in half...
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool (for Monopoly)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geni Palladin
Switzerland
Basel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All older Swiss Monopoly editions were issued by Carlit Edition - always in 2 versions: one with "Franz Carl Weber" addition on the box and the back of the board and the other without that addition.

That means that your Monopoly exists in both versions, too. To determine the year of issue, the "Franz Carl Weber"-versions are very helpful, because Franz Carl Weber always adds a line with the names of towns, where Frany Carl Weber has already shops! Your version lists 10 towns, "Bern Biel Basel Luzern St.Gallen Lugano Locarno Lausanne Genève". The FCW-branches in Biel and St.Gallen were opened in 1954. The 11th town, where FCW opened a branch is Winterthur, which was opened in 1959. This means that your Monopoly is dated between 1954 and 1959.

Looking at the contents of your game allows to date it even more precisely:

In 1954, the Swiss Monopoly games still used tin figurines and the money bills were different (2000 was dark yellow, 10000 was dark green), which means that your game was issued something between 1956 and 1959.

The time period from 1956-1958 is the only time, where you can see, how Carlit wanted to correct an old error, that can be seen on most older Monopoly games in every country:
The error is, that all 3 yellow properties show the same price for unbuild areas (Fr. 440.- for the yellow properties in Swiss Monopoly games). Compared to the prices of all other properties, the most expensive place (LAUSANNE here) should be higher than the price of the 2 cheaper properties (Fr. 480.- here).

Somehow, Carlit found out about this error, but made the correction "in the wrong direction": instead of Fr. 480.-, they printed Fr. 400.- on LAUSANNE. This wrong correction can only be seen on Swiss Monopolys!!! However, Carlit seemed to have noticed their mistake and set the price back to the (still wrong) Fr. 440.- about 2 years later (1958). That means that if the yellow LAUSANNE of your Monopoly shows Fr. 400.- for the unbuilt property, your edition is dated between 1956 and 1958. If it shows Fr. 440.-, it was issued AFTER that "back correction" (end 1958/ beginning 1959).
Why it lasted until 1985 before this old error was finally corrected (yellow LAUSANNE is Fr. 480.- since 1985), is something I don't understand...

Anyway, Carlit also produced a newer error (which is found in all Carlit Monopoly that were issued between about 1970 and 1995): on the light blue THUN property, the price to build houses/ hotels was given at Fr. 1200.- instead of Fr. 1000.- (these prices should be always the same for properties with the same colour!!!)...

Gladly enough, all these errors are corrected nowadays!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picking up jaw long enough to type ...

Wow! A Monopoly history expert. Geek royalty.

I mean this in the nicest possible way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Kaestle
Switzerland
Rueschlikon
ZH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much! Lausanne shows Fr. 400.- for the unbuilt property, so the year is just about 1959. I really appreciate your deep knowledge of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.