Popular Tags: [View All]
Is Not Geddy Lee
United States
Sandy Hook
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I love the sense of humor and all the snarky things about the game. We played a group last night that had seven players. There were a few expansions thrown in, don't ask me which ones. We played for over 2 hours with no one surpassing level 3 when we called it a night. To say this was slow-moving would not be snarky enough. We did not play by the extra start up rules that are somewhere in the directions, so maybe that would have helped. I think we should have limited the curses or excluded the higher level monsters until someone was at a set level (say 5). The game was basically this: Kick in a door, run away from a level 18 boogen. If it was a low level, then it was fought, but so many curses and things came out that it was rare for someone to defeat a monster.
Still, I would play it again, I do not like to judge a game only after one play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that was really the reason we stopped playing this at the COG. We would start around 8pm, and around 1am or 2am we would start helping someone so the damn game would end. I think Mark said it best this morning. "I think instead of playing to level 10, you should just play til you're bored with it".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr X
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
It's kind of like a large anvil with several different ropes tied to it, with each player having a rope. If everyone competes against everyone else then everyone will be pulling in their own direction. Nothing gets done. But if everyone teams up and pulls the anvil in the same direction: boom, fun is to be had. Everyone starts gathering loot, climbing levels and alliances are forged.

Now that everyone is strong, loaded with gear, more independent and hack-n-slash capable, it's time to start using those "screw you" cards everyone so dearly loves. Also check out some variants I wrote that will (hopefully) help curb any "grinding" that may occur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Roberts
Australia
Noble Park
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The key is to BIRBE the other players to help you out - offer ALL the treasure if needs be to get another player to help you out. YOU gain the level and thereby get ahead long-term. Besides, you can always steal "your" items back later.

In the early game it is necessary for the players to help each other out. Save the nasty curses and monster enhancing cards for the endgame where you REALLY need to stab your buddy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas R. Moen
Norway
OSLO
Oslo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I laughted and laughted when I played this game. It was hillarious with all the funny creatures and curses. And most of all, the cruel enjoyment of playing cards that both created duplicate monsters and powers on your poor friends. It was just so much fun!

But... As I was in the category where I started to mess with the other players early on, I found myself left behind on levels, gear and in the end cards - as noone would aid me in my quest for ... (High pitch voice) THE ULTIMATE VICTORY!

Which is of course... something related to 42...

This game is recommended!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.