BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Dinosaur King rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ima Meeple
Denmark
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Couldn't quite figure where to post this ... ended up in here, obviously.

Anyways on to the matter at hand.
SEGA, well-known games developer and publicist, has once again dared to venture down the road of innovation in an attempt to combine arcade and ccg gaming with something as old-skool as rock-paper-scissors (wonder why RPS isn't in the database ). SEGA has always been famous for being innovative and willing to take a risk as far as gameplay, gimmicks and/or features in a game go, but this time they've pretty much left the risk behind. I can't really say I blame them, after all they are in business to make money, and after nearly going belly up not too long ago, the new management (*cough* sammy *cough*) has lost all of the daredevil-ness that used to be SEGA's trademark.

Dinosaur Kings is nothing more than advanced RPS aimed at kids. The dinos is there to lure them in, and the overly simple luck based gameplay, will keep 'em coming back, brilliant really, but this could've been so much more.

As it is now, all the player does is put in the token, get a dino card, swipe it and play RPS. As for the collection part, well ... It's not very collectible, only some 40+ cards, all of which are only available thru' a Dino King cabinet BTW.

So why do I care about this ??
For starters I've always been a SEGA fanboy, and I just love a good CCG, and this could've been a good CCG. If SEGA had bothered to make even a half-decent battle system this could actually have been fun (even if I'd prefer a diferent backdrop).
Imagine a standard CCG with the usual array of starters, boosters and merchandise, but also with the added gimmick/feature that you could actually bring you deck to the arcade hall and battle a machine for boosters, rares, foils etc.
*sigh* but looking from a financial POV, I can't really blame SEGA, they've chosen the easy way out, and they'll probably make a pretty penny doing so .... oh how the mighty have fallen.

Thank you for you time

Ohh and just in case you're interested, here's the official site: http://www.dinosaurking.com/whatis/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.