Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which game would you recommend for a purchase for two players and why? Playing well with four is an added bonus but not necessary.

Games are:

Goa
Macao
Bora Bora
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yatescory wrote:
Which game would you recommend for a purchase for two players and why? Playing well with four is an added bonus but not necessary.

Games are:

Goa
Macao
Bora Bora

These are all fantastic with 2.

Goa is the only game I know with a heavy auction mechanism that works as well with 2 as it does at higher player counts. I adore this game. However, for my house, 2 player means games I will play it a lot and I think both Macao and Bora Bora offer more replay value than Goa.

I am just starting to explore Bora Bora and after 4 plays I like it more each time I play it and cannot wait to play it again.

Macao is a game I have played a lot and am always happy to play again.

Verdict: Toss up between Macao and Bora Bora. Note that I rate Goa higher than both of these games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
yatescory wrote:

Games are:

Goa
Macao
Bora Bora

These are all fantastic with 2.

Goa is the only game I know with a heavy auction mechanism that works as well with 2 as it does at higher player counts. I adore this game. However, for my house, 2 player means games I will play it a lot and I think both Macao and Bora Bora offer more replay value than Goa.

I am just starting to explore Bora Bora and after 4 plays I like it more each time I play it and cannot wait to play it again.

Macao is a game I have played a lot and am always happy to play again.

Verdict: Toss up between Macao and Bora Bora. Note that I rate Goa higher than both of these games.

David, Goa was the one that I was most interested in. Can I ask why the other two have more replay value? Does Goa have an optimal strategy or something that everyone knows (please don't spoil it if so)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bora Bora has the task tiles which are quite varied which you will only see a portion of each game. I find the task make the game more tactical and you have to roll with the punches of which tiles become available each round. This forces a player to play differently each game.

Macao has so many cards that every game will be completely unique.

Goa has very little variation in the auction tiles. You will see all of them in every game. This makes it easy to develop and execute a familiar strat every time you play, leading to a bit of samey-ness in the game.

All that said, Goa is my #3 all time favorite game (just ahead of Macao in fact), but I find myself playing it less often than Macao.

Bear in mind these are very minor quibbles and I am splitting hairs here. You cannot go wrong with any of these games. If you are leaning towards Goa by all means go with it. It also bears mentioning that Goa is a game that tends to go out of stock and is unavailable for long stretches, so grabbing it while you can is a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the insight! I have never played a Feld game but love kinzia because of Jambo. That's why Goa stuck out to me. I need to give Feld a try but worry my wife will think it's too complicated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yatescory wrote:
Thanks for the insight! I have never played a Feld game but love kinzia because of Jambo. That's why Goa stuck out to me. I need to give Feld a try but worry my wife will think it's too complicated.

Goa is a Rudiger Dorn game, not a Knizia. FYI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
yatescory wrote:

Jambo is also Dorn.

I will also chime in that though Macao and Bora Bora may have slightly more replay value (and note I said "may") Goa is still the better game. The placement of the tiles on the board in Goa will change the flavor from game to game, so I still think the replay value of Goa is very high. Goa also avoids the contention of being a "point salad". Points in Goa are much harder to come by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
yatescory wrote:

Lol that's what I meant but thanks for the correction...silly mistake!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.