Marcus Rice
Australia
flag msg tools
Tragic is not the word
badge
Do real Jedi wear spectacles?
mbmbmbmbmb
Just received the reprinted Exp 1 and have played a couple of times. Now I have ordered Exp 6 and look forward to playing some maps with the Spartans and their allies.
Now, the thought occurred to me, if some of the Exp 1 maps can be retrofitted with exp 6 units, could (or should) Akragas and Crimissos River maps be retrofitted also? I have looked around CCAncients.net and not found any instructions or new maps. The only hint I have found is the Epic Ancients II Map of Crimissos River.

SO, after my rather long winded explanation, has anyone retrofitted or remapped Akragas and Crimissos River with either Exp 1 or 6 units?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect you have seen this
http://www.ccancients.net/Rules/Expansion-6/retrofitting-exp...

Akragas
http://www.ccancients.net/Maps/Sicilian-Wars-409-307-BC/001-...
In terms of retro fitting Akragas, it doesn't appear to be an easy exchange. The Carthaginians didn't use Hoplites until the 1st Punic War (Xanthippus), and the Syracusans would be swapping Heavies for Medium Hoplites. Given the heavy favour to the Syracusans, maybe that would be better.

Crimissos River
http://www.ccancients.net/Maps/Sicilian-Wars-409-307-BC/002-...
Similar story, but less favouring the Syracusans. Swapping Heavies for Mediums might be OK, but that might make the Sacred Band a game winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel (working on TENNISmind...)
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
What I did was replace the Greeks in those two scenarios with Greek blocks as soon as I got Exp1:

Retrofitting Exp6 rules would be more complex, and would require playtesting to get a similar balance. And since those battles are used to introduce the game to new players, I would rather not add rules to them. What I would like is a retrofitted Marathon, to see the Greeks use Mounted Charge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Gleize
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Marcus, Can I ask you something about the Reprint of this exp #1:

What about the stickers? Do they still slightly non centered? I mean do they still have this little white bande on some sides?

Question I asked here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1055245/stickers-of-exp-1-re...

TY

GG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Rice
Australia
flag msg tools
Tragic is not the word
badge
Do real Jedi wear spectacles?
mbmbmbmbmb
franchi wrote:
What I did was replace the Greeks in those two scenarios with Greek blocks as soon as I got Exp1:...

...Retrofitting Exp6 rules would be more complex, and would require playtesting to get a similar balance.

This was what my question really was: replacing with the Greek units as a straight swap is fine, but it's really what to do about the medium hoplites. I too have concerns about the effect they may have on the maps and may unbalance it either way.

Having said that, I am OK with having unbalanced games. Asymmetry can challenge the player of the weaker side as it forces them to use the resources they do have. It can even prompt the player with the stronger force to become complacent or take bigger risks. That and I think it feels so good when the weaker/disadvantaged side wins!

Quote:
And since those battles are used to introduce the game to new players, I would rather not add rules to them.

This is true but if a player is using the Exp 6 med hoplites, one would assume that they have probably played with Exp 1 as well as the base set. I think if there was to be a straight swap for Greek units that would be fine, as that keeps it a beginner map. I was hoping that someone had developed new maps like they had for Leuctra & Mantinea with Exp 6. I personally don't feel I have the historical knowledge (yet) to redesign the unit deployment, but until that point, I'd be happy to play test!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Davis
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize I'm really late, but the retrofit & units you want are found in Expansion 6...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.