If it falls on me and pins me underneath it, does that still count as seizing the day?
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
...as part of a school project in her Child Development class. The "baby" is a fairly realistic doll with some electronics inside, and some sort of data recorder. These electronics detect motion so they will report whether the baby was handled roughly, or if its head was not properly supported when held.

My daughter (Maura, 14) needs to wear a sort of wristwatch-looking thing that lets the baby know that its “mommy” is near. There’s a program that triggers crying by the baby every so often. Sometimes she just needs to hold it and rock it a bit to get it to stop. Also, sometimes she needs to “feed” it by holding the bottle for it, and keeping the nipple in contact with the baby’s mouth. There is a sensor in the nipple that the baby detects, and it makes a sucking/breathing sound as it feeds. If you let the nipple lose contact with the mouth, it starts crying. It takes about ten minutes total of feeding before the baby makes a happy sound and you can put the bottle away. The doll also records how long it cries before the parent is able to quiet it, and points will be deducted if they take too long.

A few minutes after the baby stops eating, it cries again because it needs to be burped. So my daughter holds it over her shoulder, rocks back and forth a bit, and pats it on the back. Not only does the baby burp, but it makes its “happy noise” to let you know you did it right.

My daughter also has to log the times when she has to feed it, how long it lasts, and some other data.

All the kids in her class take turns taking the baby home for the weekend, unless they opted to write a five-page essay instead. I thought for sure my daughter would pick the essay, and now she may be wishing she had. The baby has the uncanny ability to start crying while my daughter is in the bathroom, having done it three times just today, and again while she was trying to eat dinner. The baby also woke her up at 3 a.m. and 5 a.m. My wife told me that Maura said the weekend is only half over and this experience has already confirmed her decision to not have kids.

Although Maura wants to stay home tomorrow (she’s already been camping in her room), my wife and I are insisting that, to get the full experience, she needs to come with us to church and deal with the baby there. Plus, there’s a luncheon after the service, so Maura’s going to have to juggle the baby and her meal.

We've been regaling the kids with stories of the problems they gave us when they were that small. It’s also making us glad that we are long past those days ourselves.

UPDATE: Just got an e-mail from my daughter, and she said she did perfect -- got 100% on the exercise, so no deductions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My 14-year-old daughter brought her baby home Friday...
That's pretty sophisticated electronics! Back in my day, they would send you home with a bag of flour with a face on it. It was a pretty decent deterrent that you had to carry this heavy bag everywhere and not let it get ripped.

I never had to do it, but my friend did and during her week her mom would wake her up in the night and tell her "your baby's crying."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The baby looks just the grandfather and has your eyes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it always stop crying after being fed, and then cry again shortly after until the burping thing?

Because in my opinion one of the most difficult things about a new born was you had no idea why they were crying. Granted it was usually them being wet, needing to eat, being to hot/cold, gassy or needing to be comforted.

But God help you until you figured out which one it was.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a matter of interest, do the boys in the class get a baby too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
When my wife and I were dating I accidently closed her cat in the closet. She goes "You know they say owning a pet is training for having a child...You are a bad daddy!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the stress of a little baby without it being mine? Forget a five page essay, I'd write 10 pages instead for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
When my wife and I were dating I accidently closed her cat in the closet. She goes "You know they say owning a pet is training for having a child...You are a bad daddy!"

And then the spanking began....you bad bad daddy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so glad they didn't have this when I was in school. In fact, I don't remember any assignment like this at all, no egg, bag of flour or whatever. Though, if they had had these robo babies, I'm sure my friend and I would have just disassembled the thing and made it play Green Day or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to Catholic school in the 80s....that kind of information or skill was supposed to be transferred between mother and daughter by electro/chemical impulses along spiritual antennae
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoot, you don't need an electronic one...I'd let you borrow mine. Nothing like a real one to scare you straight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Nothing like a real one to scare you straight.

Pretty sure you mean "scare you queer."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Lincoln
NE: NEBRASKA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had one of those when I was about that age. It was so effective that not only did I avoid having children, I completely avoided dating for several years just to be safe. It was definitely a choice I made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Seriously?! "Queer"? soblueyuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I'm sure you would prefer "Scare you homosexual", that phrase just isn't funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
While I'm sure you would prefer "Scare you homosexual", that phrase just isn't funny.
It is however RSP, well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
matthew.marquand wrote:
frumpish wrote:
MWChapel wrote:

Seriously?! "Queer"? soblueyuk

Did anyone ever tell you that your avatar looks kind of like Cyclops Hitler?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmb
frumpish wrote:

That phrase has another meaning. I believe that's the one Mike meant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stein
msg tools
Dearlove wrote:

Probably- I would have had to have done this if I hadn't left my school that year.

If not, I would hazard a guess that as the major consequences fall primarily on the girls that they've decided it's more effective to focus on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If it falls on me and pins me underneath it, does that still count as seizing the day?
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Does it always stop crying after being fed, and then cry again shortly after until the burping thing?

Yes.

Quote:
Because in my opinion one of the most difficult things about a new born was you had no idea why they were crying. Granted it was usually them being wet, needing to eat, being to hot/cold, gassy or needing to be comforted.

But God help you until you figured out which one it was.

It also cries when it needs to be "changed" (they send two fake diapers and Maura has to switch between them) and when it needs to be comforted. So, they still have to figure out which action the baby needs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:

Yes, they also have the option to do the baby thing or write an essay. My daughter tells me that the boys often score better on the baby than the girls. Apparently they are so scared of doing something wrong they are more attentive to the baby.

Personally, I think all the kids should have to do the baby, with no essay option. Until you experience the difficulties in dealing with a newborn, you have no way to imagine them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:
Apparently they are so scared of doing something wrong they are more attentive to the baby.

Or maybe men are just better parents than women.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:
Dearlove wrote:

Yes, they also have the option to do the baby thing or write an essay. My daughter tells me that the boys often score better on the baby than the girls. Apparently they are so scared of doing something wrong they are more attentive to the baby.

Personally, I think all the kids should have to do the baby, with no essay option. Until you experience the difficulties in dealing with a newborn, you have no way to imagine them.

Oh, plenty of people can imagine them, that's why some of us opt out completely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
claymore_57 wrote:
Dearlove wrote:

Dealing with a real child is enough of a hassle - I can honestly say that if I was woken up at 0300 by a doll then I would punt it out the window. I've always wondered how you Yanks manage to put up with it your kids' schools setting these assignments (as I've never heard of any other country doing this).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elgin_j wrote:
Dealing with a real child is enough of a hassle - I can honestly say that if I was woken up at 0300 by a doll then I would punt it out the window. I've always wondered how you Yanks manage to put up with it your kids' schools setting these assignments (as I've never heard of any other country doing this).

What you need to understand about America is that Americans like to pretend that people (other than themselves) don't start having sex until their 30's. And as such don't need to know anything about human sexuality, and certainly don't need access to birth control or family planning.

And because of this the United States has a remarkably high teen birth rate when compared to other developed countries.

And then some people think that by handing out electronic babies, or by giving them abstinence only sex education they can keep teenagers from having sex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.