United States
Plymouth
Michigan
flag msg tools
Wherever You Go, There You Are
badge
With no certain future, and no purpose other than to prevail
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played three games of colonization with all of the rules, but the first two were semi-cooperative games where we helped each other out and did not do anything to obstruct the other players. Today, I played a three-player cutthroat game, so below are some thoughts on colonization:

-Awesome epic game. Just completing a Future is satisfying, both from a thematic aspect and the mental challenge it took to make it work.

-We finished in 48 turns, about 6.5 hours of play. In this time we finished 4 futures (the last three all happened at about the same time). NASA won with 71 points, PRC was second at 63, and Shimizu was last at 32 points.

-NASA did the Enzmann Starship Future (TW rocket operational with 3 colonits) and the Planet Hunt Future (Sedna factory).

-PRC did the Spacefaring Future (5 colonists), along with a V space venture. A major issue with this future is that the other players can pretty easily block you from getting the 5 colonist cards. Essentially, I only got the 5 cards as a mercy because it wasn't going to change who won.

-Shimizu succeded with Uplift Future (emancipate the robots and an epic op). Shimizu suffered a major glitch failure on a rocket, along with some bad luck that really slowed them down. I believe, however, that the Shimizu press release said the rocket only paused for some kind of science mission, rather than actually failing.

-While I am sure you could do 48 turns faster than this, we had a number of turns where there were deals being sorted out, along with diplomacy-type discussions. It might be possible to finish the futures in less than 48 turns with less interference (e.g. not bankrupting a player to let them have the card they need).

-I don't think I would play full colonization with more than 3 players. It would add alot of time to game and I'm not sure there are enough cards for all 5 players to get what they need.

-We had several rules questions; I posted these in the rules forum. We made simple joint rulings to keep things moving, but the colonization rules are not quite as air-tight as the last Legacy ruleset.

-We made up a variant rule that freighters could not be researched, they only entered the game when someone got the Industrialization Perk. If that person then sold the card, it could be researched. I think this is a good rule because I think freighter denial would be a valid tactic and also not interesting. I think it is more interesting to make sure everyone gets a good chance to have one.

-I was a strong believer in the PRC not being balanced in Legacy. In colonization, I think they are greatly improved by the loss of other's faction priviledge in anarchy/war, and I think the PRC promoted Bernal ability of a free pivot is very nice. However, I still think NASA, Shimizu, and the UN are still better as they have powers that make WT, and getting WT faster is a much more useful ability than when you might get a chance to be felonious. Politically, the PRC is also a non-starter, so I think the PRC still has a uphill battle.

-We played with the optional rule that all ISRU sources and the factory add isotope fuel in a single fueling action. I think this was good because it speeds up the game and makes the GW thrusters more valuable.

-The digital swap operation was not used. Setting things up to make this work makes my head hurt. I will need to think about it some more, I am sure it is valuable in the right conditions.

-Hostile recruit was also not used. I guess we were not bloody-minded enough.

-I really like the S-freighter with it's load limit of 3, +1 free pivot, and on-board reactor and generator.

-The biggest mistake I made, which I think ultimately cost me a win, was trying to promote my Bernal with a non-solar generator at the start of the game. It takes too many cards, your radiator is a constant thorn in your side, and it takes too long before you get that colonist up there to give you an additional operation. I got pad exploded twice, lost parts boosting through the rad-belt, and then got solar flared before I got smart enough to put a solar powered generator there. While that solar generator won't work when you move the Bernal to the deep, you really are not going to move a Bernal with a bunch of non-black cards, so it is much better to just get it reliably promoted with a generator you will replace later.

-I think the Endgame Module needs some tuning with the victory points. Under some conditions, I think you could give up on getting a future and just collect victory points from ET factories and such and win, even though you didn't complete a future. While this could just be a valid strategy, if too many people do it the game will never end, so it puts someone in the position of doing a future just to get the game to end. I think the futures should maybe be worth 25-50% more than they are currently worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Williams
United States
Gahanna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gryfon wrote:
I was a strong believer in the PRC not being balanced in Legacy. In colonization, I think they are greatly improved by the loss of other's faction priviledge in anarchy/war, and I think the PRC promoted Bernal ability of a free pivot is very nice. However, I still think NASA, Shimizu, and the UN are still better as they have powers that make WT, and getting WT faster is a much more useful ability than when you might get a chance to be felonious. Politically, the PRC is also a non-starter, so I think the PRC still has a uphill battle.

Until it was pointed out to me that a PRC rocket could leave the bernal and with a free pivot be lined up for an earth/luna flyby... I had thought the same things... I still won't say PRC is easy. But with the free pivot and starting position it does have a few advantages that give it a step up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Doull
Australia
Kirrawee
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Gryfon wrote:
-PRC did the Spacefaring Future (5 colonists), along with a V space venture. A major issue with this future is that the other players can pretty easily block you from getting the 5 colonist cards. Essentially, I only got the 5 cards as a mercy because it wasn't going to change who won.

I think everyone agrees the futures are awesome, but there are some that are crazy hard to achieve. I wonder if a rule like the following could help.

Far Futures

The following futures are worth two futures:

Spacefaring Future
Star Wisp Future
Mass Beam Future
Daedalus Future

As an operation, you can pool resources with a cooperating player in order to collectively achieve any of the above 4 futures if you have the appropriate card. The cooperating player places one of their counters in one of the two future star icons you would otherwise receive - which star is subject to negotiation.

If you are the in power player, you can compel a player to cooperate with you for this operation provided you could attack the resources you need to complete the future if you were at War. If you successfully compel the player, they receive either the higher (1-3) or lower (4-6) valued future.

Also, Phil has added an experimental SETI future on the Blue Goo Symbonts card based on someone's suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Caminha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
And so it begins...
mb
Quote:
we made up a variant rule that freighters could not be researched, they only entered the game when someone got the Industrialization Perk. If that person then sold the card, it could be researched. I think this is a good rule because I think freighter denial would be a valid tactic and also not interesting. I think it is more interesting to make sure everyone gets a good chance to have one.

While I haven't played with the freighter module yet, but have been thinking on the same line. Although holding a freighter card just for denying will restrict your hand when researching/recruiting, the detrimental effect on the other players can be a bit too nasty, IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Doull
Australia
Kirrawee
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
wykthor wrote:
Quote:
we made up a variant rule that freighters could not be researched, they only entered the game when someone got the Industrialization Perk. If that person then sold the card, it could be researched. I think this is a good rule because I think freighter denial would be a valid tactic and also not interesting. I think it is more interesting to make sure everyone gets a good chance to have one.

While I haven't played with the freighter module yet, but have been thinking on the same line. Although holding a freighter card just for denying will restrict your hand when researching/recruiting, the detrimental effect on the other players can be a bit too nasty, IMHO.

If you made Antitrust count GW Thruster and Freighter cards in play (as well as duplicate hand cards), you'd still allow some denial tactics, while giving people more options about how to counter this. These two cards are the only cards you can auction where you are limited to one in play at a time, which is why I included GW Thrusters.

You'd obviously not allow the Antitrust operation to take the in play card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom W -
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
wait a sec - I thought an unpromoted bernal was allowed to hold 1 colonist? And a ersatz bernal can as well so even without dirtsides you should be able to 3 actions (ie orig action, 1 colonoist in bernal, 1 colonist in ersatz-bernal)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Schneider
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil changed the rules - the ersatz Bernal no longer allows another colonist in space. This is because it made the "get 5 colonists in space" future too easy. Players would park their Bernal at one of the Jovian moons that has two 4-hydration sites plus put up their ersatz Bernal to allow 5 colonists, instead of having to go out to trans-Neptunian space like Phil intended for the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom W -
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
ahh. I see. makes sense.
can you still fit 1 colonist in an unpromoted bernal?
I would think not, since an ersatz bernal cant hold another any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The...
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom W wrote:
ahh. I see. makes sense.
can you still fit 1 colonist in an unpromoted bernal?
I would think not, since an ersatz bernal cant hold another any more.
You're always allowed to have one colonist in space even if you have only your initial unpromoted Bernal. You need a high enough dirtside hydration to have more than one.

Originally, the Ersatz added one to your colonist limit, but as Erich said that caused a problem with one of the futures so that bonus colonist was removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.