Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ESPN's Power Rankings before the season had the 76ers ranked last of 30 teams, with the following comment:

ESPN wrote:
Worse than the nine-win Sixers of 1972-73? Worse than the seven-win Bobcats of 2011-12? Extreme as either outcome sounds, Philly's skeletal roster is such that you give it a decent shot at living all the way down to expectations, even though the bottom half of the East is filled with beatable teams.

With 3 games in 4 days to start the season, against Miami and Chicago (the latter as a 2nd game of a back-to-back, playing at Washington the day before), 1-2 seemed a certainly and 0-3 a likely start to a season of full-on tanking.

Well, their record has a zero and a three in it after three games.

Just not in the order I expected.

I'm ready to admit now that the Sixers may not stink quite as badly as initially thought. I'm also ready to nominate Brett Brown as 'Coach of the Year', and Michael Carter-Williams as 'ROY'.

I'm also waiting for the Onion headline: "Sixers tanking woes continue after discouraging win streak to open season hits three games."

Likely, this team will hit the skids ... right? Right???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyotek4 wrote:

Likely, this team will hit the skids ... right? Right???

Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know anything about this years 76'ers. But I do know that three games in is way too early to judge even a NFL team (where they have a sixteen game season).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
This team went up 20 points on the champion Heat (without Wade, but still). The Heat battled back under LeBron, but the Sixers pulled away again. It's definitely the early story of the season. I'm not looking forward to the Pistons playing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three games in and 81 to go. Let's talk in a couple of months. On the other hand I'm convinced my Celts will prove every bit as bad as advertised. However they are playing for the lottery so bad is good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Youells
United States
Camp Hill
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 geek gold, and all I got was this lousy overtext
mbmbmbmbmb
I am truly confused. Management seems to want to tank the season to secure a better draft pick, but it would appear that they neglected to tell the players.

Of course, given the track record of Philly sports teams, perhaps ownership should go into the locker room and encourage the team to play their best and win some games. That should cause the desired 3-79 record.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Trzaskowski

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They play great It's still early season and no, they probably won't even get into the playoffs, or make there any noise.

So what. Right now they play one of the enjoyable basketball in the league. Watch the games, it's really worth it.

ESPN (which I love) produced a huge stinker today with this article: http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/63735/early-succe... . Really, Wiggins may not be that great of a price to get rid of Evans, Hawes or Young this year. They will have enough money next year to resign Evans, get a good center (or resign Hawes) and get a NBA star - together with Carter-Williams, Young, Noel and Wroten that's a great, young core.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kochamkinie wrote:
ESPN (which I love) produced a huge stinker today with this article: http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/63735/early-succe... . Really, Wiggins may not be that great of a price to get rid of Evans, Hawes or Young this year. They will have enough money next year to resign Evans, get a good center (or resign Hawes) and get a NBA star - together with Carter-Williams, Young, Noel and Wroten that's a great, young core.

That article really does rub me the wrong way. Glad I'm not alone in this assessment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember -- this is a league where can't-miss prospects regularly miss, sometimes spectacularly. Just ask any fan in Portland, a franchise that has seen more than its fair share of disastrous draft busts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
Remember -- this is a league where can't-miss prospects regularly miss, sometimes spectacularly. Just ask any fan in Portland, a franchise that has seen more than its fair share of disastrous draft busts.

Top draft picks in basketball are a lot more reliable than in other sports. Something like 75% of all-star selections come out of the top 10 picks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.