Subject: Can you attack following a sensor echo? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Dickey
United States
Liberty
MO
flag msg tools
In this case, my sensor echo moved me so that my opponent's ship was within my firing arc.

I can't find an answer either way in the rules. I'm pretty sure you can, but my son disagreed so we went to the dice to resolve until I can get an official answer.

The only ruling I can find on this board that seems similar is http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1034918/sensor-echo-through-... where Andrew says

Quote:
Conceptually, the ship isn't passing through the obstacle. It was never even in the original position in the first place.

BTW, we are loving the game. This was the sixth game my son and I have played (plus the demo game at the store that made us decide to buy it!).

The first one with two ships each and I narrowly squeaked by with a victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what the problem is, is there some reason you wouldn't be able to attack? You've gone through your movement phase, then took an action, and then after all that you can fire in the combat phase based on your ships' locations.

The only things that deny you attacking are certain critical hits in the damage deck and cards like "Jadzia Dax" or "Corboromite Maneuver"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Bazzano
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or, to put it succinctly. Yes, you can attack after a Sensor Echo or Scan or Target Lock or any other action that does not prohibit an attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sensor Echo is weird. It's basically this game's way of handling your cloak making your opponent unsure of where you are. Anyway, once you've done it, your new position is simply your position. It has no effect on your ability to attack.

Anyway, basically the entire reason to sensor echo is to try to move out of your opponents firing arcs and/or put them into yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you sure you can target lock a fully cloaked ship?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A ship that has been cloaked since a previous turn can not be the subject of a new target lock, though if an enemy had gotten the lock earlier it stays locked.

A ship that is cloaked has no limitations on putting target locks on other ships, as long as it has the action available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dickey
United States
Liberty
MO
flag msg tools
Thanks guys. My son is now convinced. He's only 10, so I didn't want to just declare by fiat that I was right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I would really like to know is how you can have a target lock on a cloaked ship, but still not know where they are... In game terms, how do they still get a defense dice bonus?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vcdechagn wrote:
Thanks guys. My son is now convinced. He's only 10, so I didn't want to just declare by fiat that I was right.

How's he going to learn that you're always right if you keep coddling him like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pickelsimer
United States
Piedmont
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the target lock on a cloaked ship is there more so you can actually fire any weapon that requires a target lock at a ship that can cloak. In many ways I think it is like taking pot shots with torpedoes at where you think the ship is located.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero_guy wrote:
What I would really like to know is how you can have a target lock on a cloaked ship, but still not know where they are... In game terms, how do they still get a defense dice bonus?

I assume you KIND of know where they are, but are still uncertain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero_guy wrote:

because you might be locked onto a sensor ghost or a particle trail that isn't actually the ship. Thus you make your attack and thanks yo their bonus defense dice, it could easily miss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.