Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Played my first co-op game earlier this evening - a two player with the werewolf as the big bad.

When rolling on the cooperative mystery phase chart, we got lots of 3-4 results, which meant we rolled many times on the minion chart. I was a little confused about what to do for the werewolf attack. The coop mystery phase chart says "roll once on the minion chart and place the minion at a random location." Werewolf attack says "the hero must resolve a single fight round with the villain."

Does this mean the current first player must do this? The rules specify that the first player draws and resolves the mystery card, but they don't seem to specify the same for the cooperative mystery phase chart.

EDIT: I just thought of another question and I'll tack it on here instead of starting another thread.

In the co-op game, when I pay investigation to look at an elder's secret(s), if the elder turns out to be evil, does he become an evil elder? We played that yes, they do, which made the game pretty tough. If you can look at their secrets without risking turning them evil, then it seems to me that you would never face a villain with evil helpers, unless your group erroneously selected an evil elder to be in the hunting party (not likely unless you neglect to investigate them throughout the game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Newcastle
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
And they call it a mine. A Mine!
mbmbmbmbmb
To your first question, you draw a random location for the werewolf attack, and if there are no heroes there you place 2 investigation in that spot and move the shadow track one step closer to darkness.

When you investigate an elder secret in the fashion you mentioned you must reveal them(yes if evil secret it turns them into evil elders), only if you use a card or special ability that says " without revealing" can you choose to keep the secret hidden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magnus Maximus wrote:

The coop mystery phase chart says "roll once on the minion chart and place the minion at a random location." Werewolf attack says "the hero must resolve a single fight round with the villain."

Does this mean the current first player must do this? The rules specify that the first player draws and resolves the mystery card, but they don't seem to specify the same for the cooperative mystery phase chart.

We play that the Hero triggering the event must resolve it first. In a Mystery Phase that is usually the current first player.

I don't know if it has been addressed specifically, officially, but we do have this quote from Jason on a similar matter involving Minions:

"A Minion will ALWAYS attack the Hero that triggered it (by drawing a card, or moving into its space, etc). The ONLY time that a Minion attacks the Hero with the highest Honor is in a special case where no single Hero triggered the Minion. For instance if the Minion moved in the Mystery phase by some sort of card affect into a space with multiple Heroes. Or if a card places a Minion at a Random Location that happens to have multiple Heroes there." (From Jason Hill 10/13/08)

Magnus Maximus wrote:

In the co-op game, when I pay investigation to look at an elder's secret(s), if the elder turns out to be evil, does he become an evil elder? We played that yes, they do, which made the game pretty tough. If you can look at their secrets without risking turning them evil, then it seems to me that you would never face a villain with evil helpers, unless your group erroneously selected an evil elder to be in the hunting party (not likely unless you neglect to investigate them throughout the game.)

You played it correctly. In a co-op game you are obligated to reveal all secrets of an elder when you investigate unless you are doing so with a card or ability that says "without revealing".

Here is the text from page 20 of the rule book, which is addressing investigating secrets in co-op play:

"Also, any time a player looks at a Town Elder’s
Secrets, reveal them for all to see. Note that this does
NOT apply to cards or abilities that specifically say,
“without revealing”."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's how I play villain attacks: if you roll on the minion chart because somebody was caught Lingering, then the Hero who was lingering is the one who gets attacked. If the chart roll was for any other purpose, then you choose a random location. And if the random location has more than one hero, then the villain attacks the one with highest Honor, as a minion would (even though the Villain Attack is an event, not a minion).

For the other question: in Co-op, the rules say to immediately reveal the secrets. So yes, that means they immediately become evil. By the way, the rules also say that when an elder dies in co-op, you immediately reveal his secrets. If evil, then he faked his death, etc. However, I use a house rule that when an elder dies in co-op, you DON'T reveal his secrets until the showdown.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, good to know we played elder secrets correctly. That definitely makes it risky to investigate elders in the co-op game, since you run a pretty fair chance of powering up the villain. Does make thematic sense though - you expose the elder as being in league with the bad guy so they ditch the disguise and join him openly.

Regarding triggering werewolf attack via rolling on the co-op mystery phase chart, we apparently did that right as well (determine random location, if no hero there, place investigation and move the shadow track.) This really hurt us, as we rolled lots of 5's and 6's on the minion chart and with only two heroes on the map, it's not likely the random location will result in combat - therefore, the shadow track moved A LOT from this effect. If you played it so that the first player simply resolved the combat round vs. the werewolf, that would make a major difference in the game as the track wouldn't move nearly as often (I'd say this effect moved the shadow track five or six times in our game.)

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished another cooperative game, a three player.

This time we only looked at the Elders' secrets if we had a card that specifically said "without revealing". As a result, when the showdown arrived, the villain had no Evil Elders to help him.

It seems to me that you would never really have to face any Evil Elders in a co-op game, since there is no accusation rule, as there is in the competitive game. I guess I just want to check to make sure this is correct, as it frankly saddens me that the villains are deprived of this support; it seems like a neat part of the game, and one I'd like to keep
intact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
There is an optional recommended rule in the expansions where if an elder gets 3 secrets they are immediatly revealed.
I recomend using it, Evil Elders will come out then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Newcastle
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
And they call it a mine. A Mine!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Skeletor has the right of it. The something wicked expansion introduced a few things to help make the co-op game more interesting. The advanced co-op mystery phase chart also included here and one of the recommended additions has an event when rolled adds secrets to the elders increasing the odds of revealing an evil elder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok guys. Found the rule you're referencing - "too many secrets". Will definitely use that in my next cooperative game. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.