Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've easily played at least a hundred games of Legendary at this point and its firmly my new favorite game of all time. However, one thing I've noticed is that I rarely get that really balanced session where it's challenging but still doable with just enough tension to keep it interesting.* More often than not, I get either a "blowout," meaning a game where there are rarely any villains in the city, the mastermind isn't very tough, and the hero combination is just too good, or I get a "no win situation," such as Apocalypse with Massive Earthquake Generator and no green heroes in the deck.

Whether or not this describes your experience, all of us have played blowouts and/or no win situations. Between the two, which do you prefer? Personally, I have to go with no win situations. While winning is pretty much guaranteed in a blowout, at least a no win situation is challenging. Even if you can't win, trying to out smart the game as long as possible can at least give you some mental stimulation. Though the dissatisfaction with playing for like an hour and not even winning can be frustrating.

*I'm referring to purely randomized games. Obviously the scaling of difficulty would be in your control if you were picking all of the components for a particular session, but I've basically stopped doing that and gone over to a pure random selection process in order to try out as many combinations as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
M_Strauss wrote:
I've easily played at least a hundred games of Legendary at this point and its firmly my new favorite game of all time.

I think you've already won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Washington
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally stop any blowout or no win situation game because they are not interesting to me. it is much better 2 Have spent the time playing one good game.

That said n my friends like blow outs, I like very hard, potentially winnable scenarios

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blowout just means the focus is 90% on out-VPing the other guy, in NWS you just cling to any glimmer of hope and pray you pull off a hail mary draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like winning easily better than losing. Also in Legendary even if the mastermind is definitely going to be taken down you still have the question of who will get the most victory points to be the individual winner, so that keeps things interesting in that situation hopefully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Ocala
Florida
flag msg tools
I am the spy.....
badge
You could be playing a game right now....
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to win, but I like the games in which you lose also. With this game you can try again either by making it harder or easier. Made more difficult by adding a challenge mode the game. Easier by switching to a easier henchmen or villain group. Also trying to figure out the best combos of heroes to beat the scenario is my favorite part. I play with my 12 year old son, and if we always won, it would not be as fun and we would never play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

I too have played a lot of Legendary, solo mostly. I especially enjoy tight games where I either win the turn before I lose, or the games I lose that I feel like I could've won. In fact, the last few games I played, I only recorded those games that I lost. Some schemes that fill up the villain deck like Secret Invasion and Goblin Queen are still easy even with Apocalypse or Galactus and all 11 twists added. Other schemes that keep the villain deck light usually play best with one extra twist. Also, if you get a core mastermind, always add a random challenge mode. And as far as random goes, nothing ever gets picked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess blow outs can still be fun in multiplayer if you're being competitive. The truth is my gaming group doesn't seem to think competitively, so when the city is empty and there's nothing all that challenging going on we're kind of bored. Also, I play about half my games with my gaming group and the other half solo, and the blow outs in solo mode are super boring, I must say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a blowout against Apocalypse today, something I definitely didn't expect to ever see. However, Killbot Scheme is very much on the easy side and he was up against Team Blue (Bishop, Human Torch, Iceman, Mr. Fantastic, Thor). And while Ranged did plenty of damage, what really will hit Apocalypse below the belt is Mr. Fantastic's rare, Ultimate Nullifier which allows you to cancel an Enemy's Fight effect, screw you Immortal and Undefeated (infamous if not last Tactic, shuffle back). Of course, didn't come into play today (IaU was drawn once by the deck that didn't have Ultimate Nullifier).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure which I prefer. I hate losing to the Mastermind, but I do like a good challenge. Previously, whenever we'd lose, we'd just play again, and we'd win on the second attempt. I think it took us three attempts to beat Magneto and the Legacy Virus using only the X-Men.

But we're 0 for 4 against Galactus with 2 players and the Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer. (I've beaten Galactus solo with Sue, Reed, and the Surfer.) Twice now with the "Bring Reality into the Negative Zone" scheme, I was one turn away from victory when I turned over the last Master Strike ending the game in Galactus' favor. I'm really enjoying taking on Galactus with the Fantastic Four.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthEd wrote:
But we're 0 for 4 against Galactus with 2 players and the Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer. (I've beaten Galactus solo with Sue, Reed, and the Surfer.) Twice now with the "Bring Reality into the Negative Zone" scheme, I was one turn away from victory when I turned over the last Master Strike ending the game in Galactus' favor. I'm really enjoying taking on Galactus with the Fantastic Four.

Only seen that Scheme once so far, but already thinking it'll be one of the toughest. So few heroes pack Recruit versions over Attack versions. Game I had, most heroes were 3/1 split (3 Attack versions, 1 Recruit version), apart from Spider-Man who might be even, but doesn't help either way so he's moot. Got "stuck" on the even Twists, meaning needed Recruit to fight, but decks were geared up to fight, constantly pulling 15+ Attack that just went to waste. Point being that the setup wouldn't have even provided the opportunies for getting 15+ Recruit, nor do I think most setups will provide that, given that Attack heroes are more prevalent.

Are Elektra, Surfer and Thor the only rare Recruit heroes (Surfer not a Recruit hero in itself, but effectively yes)? If so, that's 3 out of 37 (well, 36 if we discount Spidey rare) are Recruit, rest Attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.