Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Do the right thing. It's usually obvious.
badge
I has a stick! A tiny green stick!
mbmbmbmbmb
If I am understanding the Exodus expansion Loyalty Deck construction rules correctly, there is a chance that the game will end up one cylon short. I understand that this is to keep the tension alive when someone completes a Personal Goal, but since we often play four player games, the possibility of a no-cylon game is unappealing.

I was wondering if this might be fixed (or at least ameliorated) by, when the fleet reaches a distance of 7, having all the players roll a die (re-rolling ties as necessary) and "awarding" the final Loyalty Card to the lowest rolling player.

This might be a lousy turn of luck for a player, becoming a cylon so late, but at least the toasters would have a presence in the game (particularly with Earth as the destination) and it would be infrequent.

Any thoughts or comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshian Grr
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing with 4 players, I would recommend just forgetting about the extra Loyalty Card, and use Pegasus rules for Execution.

It's bad enough when this situation arises with 5 or more players and there is only one Cylon, but if there isn't at least one Cylon post-sleeper, my feeling is that the game is "not what you signed up for".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This should be in the Exodus forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On one hand I think that having uncertainty in the game is a good thing. On the other hand I agree that playing without a Cylon in a four player game might be boring.

My hope would be that increased paranoia and the addition of Personal Goals are able to balance the missing Cylon.

In any case I would advise against doing a die roll and forcing someone to take the last Loyalty card.

And I'd like to mention that I once had a four player game without Cylon which got lost by starvation at distance 8 due to mistrust (and we played without Personal Goals).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
Do the right thing. It's usually obvious.
badge
I has a stick! A tiny green stick!
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
This should be in the Exodus forum.

It certainly should; that's where I had intended to put it. I'm not at all sure how I managed to slip back to the main game forums before posting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If there are no cylons, then use that variant where u deduct 1 of each resource at game's end. Vs no cylons, may have to deduct 2. I'd worry if everyone finds or the are no cylons, then that can potentially game the situation.

Oh, and also Advance each cent forwardnone, and damagr gally twice (can't go to Peggy)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander DeSouza
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
To avoid having a missing Cylon when playing with Exodus Loyalty Deck construction rules, try creating a separate Personal Goals Loyalty Deck, and have it consist of all of the remaining Personal Goal Loyalty Cards and an equivalent number of YANAC Loyalty Cards. Every time a player must replace their Loyalty Card (by completing a Personal Goal), have them draw their new Loyalty Card from this deck.

Keeping the standard set of Loyalty Cards that players receive during set-up and after the Sleeper Phase separate prevents the possibility of a Cylon going missing during the game.

All of this aside, my personal recommendation is to dispense with Personal Goals and use the Base Game's or Pegasus' Loyalty Deck construction rules. =P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Falconer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
bobbymcferrin wrote:
All of this aside, my personal recommendation is to dispense with Personal Goals and use the Base Game's or Pegasus' Loyalty Deck construction rules. =P
In the Pegasus rules an executed a human reveals all of his loyalty cards and does not draw a new one. This seems like execution would be a reasonably cheap way to guarantee someone's human. Do you find players are more trigger-happy in this variant? Is it a valid human strategy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshian Grr
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
RJFalconer wrote:
In the Pegasus rules an executed a human reveals all of his loyalty cards and does not draw a new one. This seems like execution would be a reasonably cheap way to guarantee someone's human. Do you find players are more trigger-happy in this variant? Is it a valid human strategy?
This is one of the problems that the Exodus rules were trying to solve. If morale was doing well, and/or if you wanted a particularly useful Ability/OPG in play, just flush someone out the airlock as a cheap Cylon Detector.

It was also one of the things that made New Caprica silly. As long as nobody picks Cain, execute the Admiral before distance 7 to guarantee a human Admiral and a safe Final Jump order.

It is a cheesy but valid human strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
RJFalconer wrote:
This is one of the problems that the Exodus rules were trying to solve. If morale was doing well, and/or if you wanted a particularly useful Ability/OPG in play, just flush someone out the airlock as a cheap Cylon Detector.

It was also one of the things that made New Caprica silly. As long as nobody picks Cain, execute the Admiral before distance 7 to guarantee a human Admiral and a safe Final Jump order.

It is a cheesy but valid human strategy.
this may have to wait for a separate that, but I do find it much too difficult to ensure a premature jump won't happen otherwise.

As for bringing in a more suitable OPG, use the miracle tokens from Daybreak, or find any replacement with the borrowed rules that executed chars lose thier MT and do NOT come back with a new one.

And I wouldn't call 12YPtr cheap.. Even if Treachery has been dealt out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander DeSouza
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mb
@R Falconer The scenario you describe is a valid strategy for the humans, provided the resources are available. Around our table however, we usually don't include the Pegasus ship in our games, so there just aren't that many opportunities to freely execute players in the manner you describe. I haven't given it much more thought; sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls