Nexus Ops» Forums » Rules

Subject: Player elimination rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raph Moimoi
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When does this elimination really occurs ?

I give an example (playing with regular units) : a player has no rubium and 1 card in hand. After being attacked, he has no more units on the board. He draws an Energize card after the battle, so he has 2 cards in hand.
As he has 2 cards he's not eliminated for now, he has to exchange them during is next turn in order to buy one little unit.

If he plays one card before his turn, he won't be able to purchase anything. Is he eliminated immediately ?

If had only one card after battle, he wouldn't be able to buy anything, so I assume he's eliminated now ?

How do you play this ? It matters when playing 3 or 4 players as the next player may get some points he wouldn't receive if game stops earlier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
that sounds about right. Also... Secret missions count here. You can discard mission cards(that are still in your hand) for rubium too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raph Moimoi
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, you can convert secret mission cards into rubium, but the question is : if you don't have cards (or enough cards) to get rubium, when are you eliminated ? Do you wait your next turn to check that you don't have the rubium needed ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you have no troops and no way to get rubium, then I don't see how it matters. so I'd go with immediately. But... if you're due to get energize from being attacked, then I'd say you get that before checking to see if you're eliminated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah... I see the problem here.

The real question here is, do other players continue to battle each other in an attempt to gain more victory points after a player has lost their last troop and is obviously not going to have enough cards to purchase more?

If you wait till the eliminated player's turn comes around again, then the other players could make a last ditch effort to get ahead of the remaining players.

If you say that the player is eliminated immediately upon the realization that: 1 - His last unit is destroyed, 2 - He doesn't have enough rubium to purchase any more units, AND 3 - He doesn't have any cards to discard for rubium
Then the remaining players would not have any chance for a hail mary play.

The problem is that last bit...
"He doesn't have any cards to discard for rubium"

"any" being the trouble word here.

If you interpret that to mean "enough to even purchase a measly human" then I would say the game ends immediately upon that realization and you would not wait for the soon to be eliminated player's turn to come back around.

If you take it on face value, it still wouldn't matter.
If that player has no rubium and one card to turn in, that still falls under point number two. "He doesn't have enough rubium to purchase any more units" and so, he's immediately eliminated and the game immediately ends regardless of who's turn it is or what phase of the turn it is.

So...

TLDR: You receive all cards as normal but if, after that, you have no troops and even with trading in cards can not purchase another one, you are immediately eliminated and the game immediately ends - go to scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In other words, YES, your original interpretation was correct.

I just had to work through it for myself as I'd never actually had a player eliminated in a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nazhuret wrote:
In other words, YES, your original interpretation was correct.

I just had to work through it for myself as I'd never actually had a player eliminated in a game.
Same here. It's very rare for a player to get THAT far ahead. Maybe in 4-player games where one player gets ganged up on...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raph Moimoi
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beside all this, if a player has no unit on the board and he has enough rubium (or cards) to buy some guys, is he forced to buy at least one trooper during his next turn ?
At that point, he has no way to win anything without troops on the floor, so there's no reason to keep rubium in stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting.

I don't see anything in the rules saying that a player is not allowed to do that.

I would be pretty irritated if someone did so, however, and would quickly lobby that we houseruled against such behavior.
It's clearly against the spirit of the rules if not expressly against the letter of them.

What possible reason could there be for doing so, other than to play the role of "kingmaker"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raph Moimoi
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the only reason I see to play like this : kingmaking, but it's pointless.

I think this game needs a rule that clearly states that each player has to have at least one unit on the board (to allow other players to fight it and win some battle points).
Normally this is the way this game is played : everybody buy some units to fight against opponents.

Edit : I posted my question on FFG forum, maybe we'll have some official answer arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.