9 Posts

Jambo» Forums » General

Subject: advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi, I am considering purchasing this game, I already own lost cities, jaipur and battle line. Is this worth adding to my collection meaning is it different to the ones I have just mentioned?
Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tea or Coffee?
United States
Ellisville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We own and play all of the games you mentioned.

Sure, it's a card game, but Jambo is its own beast. Jambo has a bit more going on in how you buy and sell goods and the special artefact/animal cards that give you expanded abilities. Play time is a bit longer than the others. Definitely worth picking up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Norton
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. It's a great game and very different to the others that you have mentioned. I also own all the games that you have mentioned and I wouldn't be without any of them - they are among the most played in my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very different than those games (and better, in my opinion). Get it without any hesitation - it's way better than many other, more expensive games. It's a new experience every time you play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. It is much different than those other three. My impression is that sometimes it can run a smidge long for what it is, but I have always enjoyed my plays of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We also love Lost Cities, and Shenomad is a fan of Battle Line (though I haven't tried it yet).

We had 50+ games of Jambo under our belts when we picked up Jaipur. A handful of plays later, we were back to Jambo. No comparison in terms of staying power, richness of play, and especially gambit-planning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own all other titles that you've mentioned.

I think the OCD in me kind of regretted that I couldn't get Jambo because the expansions are supposed to make this game a lot better. I've only rated Jambo base game a 7/10. The other titles I've all rated 8/10. I kind of wish I can get my hands on the expansions, but we are out of luck here.

Just offering a different perspective on your purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Lampinen
Finland
Espoo
none
flag msg tools
(and a hermit)
badge
Fan of FUN games!
mbmbmb
Jambo expansions are almost necessary I'd say. Without them it's just ok (and it's bit "mean" since you get attack animals all the time and only few chances to defend), but with them Jambo is like "real" (full) eurogame for 2 but twice as short and almost infinitely replayable (seriously, you use like one tenth of the expanded deck in one game). It's nothing like games you mentioned, but it's not hard to play or anything (great next step to play with wife after Jaipur), just deeper, less like filler.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I'll just add in as others have that we own, love, and frequently play all the games you mentioned and also include Jambo in that category.

While we have and enjoy bigger/deeper/tons-of-expansion-filled games, the ones that actually make it to the table the most are the small group discussed here. Even Race for the Galaxy is a little too much setup/fiddling for most nights at home. Jambo comes out more rarely than the other games you mentioned because of its length, but it's definitely one of our staples and feels very different from Jaipur - Jaipur is quick set collection whereas Jambo feels more like tactical engine-building with the trading being secondary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.