Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Brennan
United States
Morris Plains
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group is having a discussion about this. Is it fair to describe your character card to convince others you are a Loyal Servant of Arthur, or for the minions to convince everyone they are loyal? ("I'm the guy with the scar." "I'm the blonde.")

Depending on which blue cards are in play, it is possible to know when someone is lying when they try this. I happened to be the blue guy with the scar when one of the minions claimed he was, so I knew he was lying. This led to more accusations about which one of us was lying.

I happen to have a couple copies of the game, so it was thinking of mixing the blue cards so you could never be sure if there are multiple copies of each standard blue role card. I like the strategy this adds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
May or may not specified in the rules, but it is not fair and they are being assholes, if they try to win a game using that kind of strategy.

But of course a group can decide between them what to allow. But generally, more information favors the resistance. In an Avalon game though the resistance have good reason not to say anything about their cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely not in the spirit of the game. Bad form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
In Sci-fi Resistance, the rules say you cannot describe your card. I can't believe Travis left that rule out of Avalon. Anyway, definitely illegal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Grant
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with previous posters that even if the rules don't say anything about it it is very bad form. If I were playing in such a game and this happened in M1 I would suggest a redeal -- just to ensure it was clear this obviously doesn't fit with the spirit of the game.

I would also add in with this statements like "I saw Jim's card and he is a spy" or doing things like trying to catch a glimpse of a mission card and then saying you saw him throw a fail.

There was a great bit on the dice tower by a contributor (Barry) about "but the rules don't say I can't..." I think I need to record this to my phone to play at appropriate times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Brennan
United States
Morris Plains
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, it does say in the rules that you can't discuss the art on the cards in both games...so that's that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
jayb3369 wrote:
Actually, it does say in the rules that you can't discuss the art on the cards in both games...so that's that.

Right, it's on the first page of the rules:
A player's Character Card may not be revealed at any point in the game, nor the character art discussed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Phillips
msg tools
I didn't think this mattered as much for Avalon since good guys describing their cards can end up hurting merlin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Grant
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clunky wrote:
I didn't think this mattered as much for Avalon since good guys describing their cards can end up hurting merlin.

True, but the game is a deduction game... Describing your card is against the spirit of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. snowMan
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Billgrant wrote:
clunky wrote:

True, but the game is a deduction game... Describing your card is against the spirit rules of the game.

FTFY

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Grant
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DsnowMan wrote:
Billgrant wrote:
clunky wrote:

True, but the game is a deduction game... Describing your card is against the spirit rules of the game.

FTFY

I don't disagree. But there was some discussion about whether it was missing in one of the version's rulebooks. Regardless of if it is or is not it's clear describing your card should not be allowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Hitch
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
So happy to see this thread. My table has a regular who loves this kind of shenanigan, it's nice to see it addressed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.