Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

My gfriend and I just played a 2 player game. My score was 41 and hers was 32 which seems really compared to what I read in the rules (said 80 is average and 100 is for advanced players).

I am hoping we didn't do something wrong, I am going to have to review the rules. The whole game felt more like a puzzle to me and I can see AP being a definite issue here. The game was good but I am wondering if it will get stale after many plays because of variety.

I was wondering if there is a reason not to mix the tiles and pull out X tiles for the basic game, that might add variety.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Brown
United States
Ofallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
King Agricola
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We are playing it today. I'll post something later on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Mason
United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a game with my wife today and we scored 66-62.
Only our first game so not sure about replayability but we both enjoyed the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elle Ell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a 3 player game yesterday. I scored 94 while the other two players scored 62 and 74. Buildings were specially powerful to me. 45 of my 94 points came from the yellow end game scoring buildings that went unnoticed by other players.

My husband explained the rules and I am fairly confident we played correctly. All players in our game are experienced Agricola players. It will be interesting to explore other strategies. I feel like my score would have been much much higher if I remembered the ruby rule when placing dwarves. The other players forgot to remind me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Meyer
Switzerland
Zürich
Zürich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played a 2 Player Game with my girlfriend yesterday and we scored 98 to 79. We are advanced Agricola players too.

Just love the new gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All,

I wouldn't say we are great Agricola players but we usually both score in the mid 30s to low 40s in a 2 player Agricola game. Not sure what the norm is though.

We just played our second game and we scored 58 and 51 points.

I still don't see how 80 or 100 is possible. Can someone who has scored 80+ points show me a breakdown of your points so I can see what I might need to focus on.

Thx,
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonpfl wrote:
All,

I wouldn't say we are great Agricola players but we usually both score in the mid 30s to low 40s in a 2 player Agricola game. Not sure what the norm is though.

We just played our second game and we scored 58 and 51 points.

I still don't see how 80 or 100 is possible. Can someone who has scored 80+ points show me a breakdown of your points so I can see what I might need to focus on.

Thx,
jonpfl

I scored 82 today on my first play (5 player). My breakdown was as follows:

7 animals - 7 points.
No missing animals - 0 points.
1 Grain - 1 point.
0 Vegetable - 0 points.
5 Rubies - 5 points.
5 Dwarfs - 5 points.
4 Unused Spaces - (-4 points.)
3 Ore Mines - 9 points.
3 Ruby Mines - 12 points.
1 large Pasture - 4 points.
1 small pasture - 2 points.
2 Dwellings - 9 points.
Ruby Storage - 5 points.
Ore Storage - 15 points.
12 Gold Coins - 12 points.

I hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff C
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The pen is mightier than a really small, blunt, and foam covered sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like the key in this game is in choosing your rooms to enhance something you are collecting, which based on the variety of rooms gives you lots of options unlike in vanilla Agricola that has similar options but for only a few resources and the points for them is minimal. I know people are concerned about replay-ability vs. Gric, but really when you think about it, it's entirely possible to play and win with barely touching your occupations and minor improvements if you get a crappy hand (won by 10 in my last game with only using 1 occupation) whereas here you really need to look at the furnishings for those bonus points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Kaluza
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first 2 player game gave 45 and 50 as the end score. The truth is that we only build 2 buildings other than dwellings.
There is a learning curve with the use of the buildings, gems and expeditions. I'm sure the results will improve fairly quickly with each game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sternikPK wrote:
Our first 2 player game gave 45 and 50 as the end score. The truth is that we only build 2 buildings other than dwellings.
There is a learning curve with the use of the buildings, gems and expeditions. I'm sure the results will improve fairly quickly with each game.

Ok, that makes me feel much better as we both have played Agricola many times.

One thing we did do wrong was flip the harvest chit over after all our turns vs doing it as soon as you turn over the new card. We had to make sure we had enough food just in case.

Thx
jonpfl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game yesterday - IIRC, I scored 71 and my other half scored 39. Lots of inefficient moves from me - I fished with lots of unused resources but didn't manage to build the necessary store rooms. In hindsight, going for both the stone and wood discount buildings was overkill.

Interestingly, neither resources nor food were in particularly short supply for most of the game. The real pressure was one of time - the end of the game arrived far too soon for me to have done everything that I wanted to or planned on doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The whole game felt more like a puzzle to me and I can see AP being a definite issue here.

Its a post-Agricola Rosenberg. You have to either like that or play other games. If you like it, you will also like Chvatils games (other than Galaxy Trucker).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff C
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The pen is mightier than a really small, blunt, and foam covered sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
Si Fei wrote:
Quote:
The whole game felt more like a puzzle to me and I can see AP being a definite issue here.

Its a post-Agricola Rosenberg. You have to either like that or play other games. If you like it, you will also like Chvatils games (other than Galaxy Trucker).

Funny you say that because I'm a huge Agricola, Le Havre, and OeL fan, AND I also love Chvatil games, but interestingly enough my all time favorite game is.... Twilight Imperium 3, which doesn't prove or disprove anything, but my second favorite game is.... Galaxy Trucker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f s
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, does not prove or disprove anything, but I think that there is a correlation between your liking of the later Rosenberg games and most of what Chvatil does.
Both designers are of course quite complex in their design history. Chvatil also did Galaxy Trucker (which, apart from the convoluted rulebook, does not feel like the newer Chvatils at all) and Rosenberg did Bohnanza (I dont have to say more about that.)

As for your liking of Twilight Imperium 3, I think it fits right in. Never played the game, but it looks highly complex, highly fiddly and very time-consuming.
BTW I would like to try Twilight Imperium very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.