David Bohlander
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is the second of a series documenting games of Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game using Advanced Solo Mode rules. All games are constructed randomly using the Legendary Wheel of Fate tool.

The Setup
Heroes: Ghost Rider, Jean Grey, Storm
Mastermind: Kingpin
Scheme: Flood the Planet with Melted Glaciers
Villains: Streets of New York
Henchmen: Doombot Legion

The Strategy
Jean Grey was going to be the focus of my deck. Both she and Storm are Range/Covert heros, but Jean Grey is better at generating a big turn with large attack and recruit scores by rescueing a lot of Bystanders. Jean Grey’s Range cards can also help trigger Gathering Stormclouds Storm to draw more cards. I was planning on mostly ignoring Ghost Rider. The drawback of this deck is there is no good way to KO the SHIELD Agents and Troopers, but both Doombot Legions and Streets of New York villains can help KO the starter cards.

How Did it Work?
The plan worked poorly at first. The starting heroes in the HQ were all 6-cost Jean Greys and Storms except for the 3-cost Hell on Wheels Ghost Rider. I figured Hell on Wheels was better than recruiting Maria Hill, since he cost the same to recruit and did at minimum the same thing, except he also guarded against Kingpin’s Master Strike ability. The deck was fortunately quickly able to buy some 6-cost Mind Over Matter Jean Greys, which then held the villains at bay in the City until I was able to recruit the rare Telekinetic Mastery Jean Grey. The final turn was a large one when I played five Jean Grey or Storm cards before playing Telekinetic Mastery Jean Grey, letting me rescue five Bystanders and draw the rest of my deck with a pair of Mind Over Matter Jean Greys, giving me more than 20 points each of attack and recruit, which let me take down a Bullseye, a Jigsaw and a Doombot Legion in the City before finishing off the final two Kingpin tactic cards.

Results
Victory. The team's adjusted score was 36 points. It endured five scheme twists and three Master Strikes. Six non-grey heroes were KO’d by the Scheme’s rising waters.

The Final Deck
1x SHIELD Trooper
4x SHIELD Agent

2x Hell on Wheels Ghost Rider

1x Psychic Search Jean Grey
1x Read Your Thoughts Jean Grey
3x Mind Over Matter Jean Grey
1x Telekinetic Mastery Jean Grey

2x Gathering Stormclouds Storm
1x Lightning Bolt Storm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kappy
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sounds fun! Jean Grey is definitely my favorite Dark City hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohlander
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for reading. Jean Grey can certainly lead to some crazy turns. I plan to keep writing more of these, so let me know if there are more details you'd like included.
Hopefully these will be entertaining and highlight what strategies I'm trying to use as I win or don't win these games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael M.
United States
Bloomington-Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity, are you hitting the Mastermind 4 or 5 times? I basically play final blow every time now. It just feels anticlimactic to say the game is over when there's still a Mastermind on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bohlander
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I always use the final showdown when I'm playing multiplayer, I've been playing without the final blow in my solo games.
How has playing with final blow rules changed your games? Are you ending up with more draws? It wouldn't have mattered in this game, but with some masterminds I'm taking out the final tactic card with only a turn or two left before the villain deck runs out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.