Chase Toffee
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group finished the quest Reclamation today, and I was playing the OL.

The 1st encounter the heroes had no problems killing my goblins at the last steps before getting out the exit and grouping up and grinding their way to find Izklig and kill him right there where he spawned( couldn't move away with the 1 action since blocked) and the heroes easily won the 1st encounter...

2nd encounter the heroes never got off the starting tile/ the stairs up after the starting tile.

How is it even possible for those poor heroes to get to move when I block them with 2 Shadow dragons : D and they spawn all the time back at the start of the OL turn and just run to block the space between the elevation and the stairs. Then just Frenzy + bloodrage = 4x Firebreath(with dark might's and fortunes)+ word of misery. Then the 4 goblin archers shooting them from the hihger ground. I even spawned Splig with the spligs revenge card and knockbacked their healer to be ripped of by carrion drakes and blocked from their main party, the other heros were still blocked in the starting area...

Needless to say the master carrion drake has a blast destroying the search tokens and getting me free objective tokens at the same time. The heroe players who where rolling over me in the 1st encounter were weeping in the dust in the 2nd encounter...

How is this balanced : D ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Serena is in this one, you couldn't block them right at the start, and if you tried, they could each get at least one attack in, if not two.

After they have made some progress to the area between the elevation line and the stairs, all they would have to do is kill the dragon in that space and then move into it and another wouldn't be able to block there any more.

I haven't played this one personally, but I have heard of other groups possessing Healing Aura, so it must be doable. Perhaps the Open Group reinforcement needs to be moved to the end of the Overlord turn instead of the beginning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Toffee
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, Serena left them 1 free space between them and the Dragon but after they killed the minion dragon the master dragon went only half down on health.

Thus I comboed Dark charm, so 1 of them was adjacent to the dragon and "Frenzy"+ "Bloodrage" (firebreaths) and "Word of misery" on the dragon and the Archers shooting got 2 heroes Ko.d and 1 very low. (it was a 4 player game, 1 was full health = Jain, didn't want to hit her since she had stamina potions)

I had about 14 cards in hand at the beginning (2 bloodrages addition to the basic 1:s 15 cards), so They also got tripwired and pit trapped so they had to use fatigue to reach the master dragon etc.

I did mnetion splig too I think ^^.

Quote:
After they have made some progress to the area between the elevation line and the stairs, all they would have to do is kill the dragon in that space and then move into it and another wouldn't be able to block there any more.

They could not reach the space the dragon was sitting on since another came in all the time. (+ had a good time reviving each other) Traps, traps : )

But yes it really depends on cards/heroes too.

How could they have Healing aura before this quest?

Heroes were: Syndrael- Berserker, Jain Fairwood- Thief, High mage Quellen - Geomancer, Ashrian - Apothecary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that they had Healing Aura before this quest, just that I have heard other people talk about having Healing Aura. Since they have Healing Aura, they must have won this quest. Perhaps one of those people can provide more insight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Burke
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot depends on previous choices. Did the OL choose the original OL deck or the new OL deck? What weapons do the heroes have access to? We'll be playing this one on Monday so we'll see how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Toffee
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Basic 1, heroes had Magic Staff and Chainmail bought

Pls, inform us how it went on your group

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding encounter 1: I'd like to direct your attention to PBF X, which is currently playing Reclamation. While it's up in the air who will "win" the encounter (my guess is the heroes will defeat Izglik), it's far from a blowout with the OL holding three of the four Talismans of Protection.

The key is to smartly use the Overgrowth. It cannot be cleared in this encounter, and the OL's monsters can move through it without testing an attribute, so they can block access to the central area from two of the three Overgrowth locations, popping out to steal or attack and then popping back in to safety.

You can see where it started here: Re: Descent Campaign X - Labyrinth of Ruin

Oh, and I'll add that the overlord is doing this well despite that he has been rolling terribly. Tons of X's rolled for him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chase Toffee
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is true, I blocked the overwrowth spaces aswell and attritioned them through them ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Reclamation E1 just ended in PBF X. OL ended up with three of the four Talismans of Protection, but the heroes were able to kill Izglik with a massive Crossbow shot from Lindel the Treasure Hunter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
FWIW to the OP, our group played this encounter yesterday. In the first half, Augur Grissom (me) happened to be delayed but arrived in time to watch the other three win. They were the Hexer, the Beastmaster, and the Trapmaster (may have that class name wrong). The OL mistakenly placed all 3 barricades but the heroes just crashed their way through and won the battle. They retained their tokens. Grissom lost his by virtue of a no-show.

In the second half we did not have any problems with blocking because we've all played too many campaigns with Shadow Dragons. Everyone is thoroughly sick of this monster and we really don't use it much these days. However we have enough ranged attack that I think we could have fought our way through. We've killed plenty of Shadow Dragons in days of yore.

What we faced instead was a massive dose of Infection Tokens (this is discussed in another thread). We also confronted a monster (Reaver?) that apparently can leap like a Blood Ape and attack three times every turn (at least the Master could do that).

Our battle was a tremendously blood-drenched affair with Serena going down for the count twice and most other heroes at least once. The OL's forces didn't fare much better as we knocked out multiple foes each round. It wasn't subtle, it was stand & fight or die.

In the midst of all this we discovered a secret room that yielded us nothing worthwhile and 2 monsters. However we did gain the ability to cancel one OL card and that may have won the encounter for us because we canceled a card that certainly would have knocked out a hero.

In the end we had to stop because we simply ran out of playing time. The final score was Heroes 8 and OL 7. If the battle had continued, I'm not sure how it would have gone because the OL had just shuffled his deck. We did have a healing potion not yet used.

This account probably doesn't help your heroes with tactical advice but it does illustrate how varied the game of Descent 2e can be. I've rarely (never?) seen two encounters fought the same way, except possibly the opening encounter of the original game (First Blood).

BTW, on the off-chance somebody knows this answer: Can Harpies (or any flying creature) ignore traps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex D
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
We played this yesterday and it seemed weighted towards the Overlord. (I played OL. The first encounter seemed balanced, but the second part of it seemed like the heroes were in serious trouble if they were missing even 2 talismans).

@Jim Ant:
Three questions that imply different rules from us:
1) Our understanding is that if Serena goes down, she stays down for that encounter. How did she go down twice?
2) Doesn't the encounter stop at 7 objective tokens? How did y'all get to 8?
3) ... Secret room?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Harwin wrote:
We played this yesterday and it seemed weighted towards the Overlord. (I played OL. The first encounter seemed balanced, but the second part of it seemed like the heroes were in serious trouble if they were missing even 2 talismans).

@Jim Ant:
Three questions that imply different rules from us:
1) Our understanding is that if Serena goes down, she stays down for that encounter. How did she go down twice?
2) Doesn't the encounter stop at 7 objective tokens? How did y'all get to 8?
3) ... Secret room?

Yeah you're right shake but I didn't have any books with me when I posted and my memory was obviously bad.

1) We played Serena wrong, getting confused by the "now she's a hero now she's an ally" business. We now know she can only drop once (although we just completed "Through the Mist" where she can be revived, hooray now she's a hero).

2) Clearly remembered the numbers wrong, it was 6 to 5 at the end. I only recalled that it was one away from victory. Also the heroes somehow formed the impression that the Sun Standard couldn't be handed off, therefore we had to get our points from a single hero. Fortunately we started with 3 Talismans.

3) Secret room got drawn as per usual from the Search Deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex D
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
As for the secret room - I just don't have that expansion so I had no idea what it was. So ignore that question

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.