Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Asif Kazmi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just bought Elder Signs, read the revised rules. So if I understand correctly, spells let me not "fail" a task, in addition to future use of the die itself.

Example, I roll the dice and am currently failing at a task. I can:

1) Face terror threat (if I rolled terror), discard a die, and roll my dice again.
2) If I have a spell, I can just put a die on it, and just roll all the remaining dice to try the task again? I'm confused because I didn't complete a task, but I also didn't fail? Is that how it works?

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You always must succeed a task or discard a die. Using the spell has no bearing on success or failure (for that roll at least). Only a clue or special character power allows a re-roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spells just allow you to lock one (or two in case of Dread Curse of Azathoth) die result. If you failed a roll, you still have to discard a die to roll again, suffering the terror effect and so on. You just lock one or more results for later use, either in this or another adventure, even with another character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hurdoc wrote:
Just bought Elder Signs, read the revised rules. So if I understand correctly, spells let me not "fail" a task, in addition to future use of the die itself.

Example, I roll the dice and am currently failing at a task. I can:

1) Face terror threat (if I rolled terror), discard a die, and roll my dice again.
2) If I have a spell, I can just put a die on it, and just roll all the remaining dice to try the task again? I'm confused because I didn't complete a task, but I also didn't fail? Is that how it works?

Thanks in advance.

No spells don't stop you from failing the task. In this case, if you fail you resolve terror effects if any, then you discard a die, then you can put a remaining die on a spell, finally you roll to attempt a task again.

You can also use a spell if succeed at a task.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
No, spells do not allow you to reroll dice. They simply save a rolled die/dice. They work sort of like focusing, except that you can use them after a successful roll, and they die/dice can stay on spells until used, even by another player.

Edit: Wow, triple ninjaninja:ninja:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asif Kazmi
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm the original poster. I am confused by the example in the page 13 sidebar of the revised rules.

It shows a player who can "easily complete the bottom task. However, he knows that the terror result could be useful later. He chooses to secure that die by playing a Spell card."

I interpreted "However" as "Instead of completing the task", but you are saying that "However" should mean "In addition to completing the task".

I'm sorry the above may not make sense without referring to that page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yes, the use of the word "however" there is somewhat misleading, without mentioning that this does not prevent the player from completing the task. I can see why you were confused!

But everyone else is quite right; you can complete a task as well as placing a die on a spell (if you have the results on the dice to do so). If you can't complete a task (or choose not to, because e.g. you put a die on the spell that you needed to complete the task) then you must lose a die from your pool and roll again, or fail the adventure completely.

Good old Fantasy Flight and their amazing rulebooks! Watch out for the example of combat with Cthulhu too; it's completely wrong (they seem to have confused maximum sanity/stamina with current, and also have given Harvey more stamina than he could possibly have when fighting Cthulhu)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.