Android: Netrunner» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Twenty Sided Store, Brooklyn, New York, November tournament report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
As it always is, the Twenty Sided Store is an amazing venue for a tournament, and we had 13 people (assuming I didn't miscount) for this month's. We played four rounds of Swiss, with no cut. I think at the end of the day that we had five players at twelve points, so final placement came down to tie-breakers, and I lucked out on them, having played the eventual 2nd, 3rd, and 5th place players.

As a quick aside, I believe that all of the NYC monthly tournaments have gone to no-cut formats in favor of playing extra rounds of Swiss. Due to the ease with which players can draw in Netrunner, this leads to top positions being decided by tie-breakers being a common occurrence. Personally, I think this is really great. It means that more people get to play more matches (we don't end up with extra rounds where only some players are playing). I wouldn't want to use this format for Regionals, Nationals, or Worlds, but for relatively casual monthly tournaments, I think that giving everyone more play time is by far the best way to go.

Anyway, on to the decks:

Andromeda Control (45 cards)

Andromeda: Dispossessed Ristie

Event (19)
3 Account Siphon
2 Emergency Shutdown
3 Hostage
3 Infiltration
1 Levy AR Lab Access •••
2 Special Order
3 Sure Gamble
2 Vamp ••••

Resource (20)
3 Access to Globalsec
3 Armitage Codebusting
1 Kati Jones
3 New Angeles City Hall
1 Professional Contacts ••
3 Same Old Thing
3 The Source ••••• •
3 Underworld Contact

Icebreaker (6)
1 Aurora
2 Crypsis
1 Femme Fatale
1 Ninja
1 Peacock

Built with http://netrunner.meteor.com/

This deck is very clearly inspired by Zoning in Netrunner, with further refinements stolen from Andromeda Remote Control. It's also very, very, very slow. Three of my four games took 40 to 50 minutes, which meant that I had to play an insanely recklessly fast corp deck...

Backup-less Blitz (40 cards)

NBN: The World Is Yours*

Agenda (8)
3 AstroScript Pilot Program
2 Executive Retreat
3 Project Beale

Asset (3)
3 Jackson Howard

Upgrade (2)
2 SanSan City Grid

Operation (12)
3 Anonymous Tip
3 Beanstalk Royalties •••
3 Green Level Clearance •••
3 Hedge Fund

Barrier (3)
3 Ice Wall •••

Code Gate (3)
3 Pop-up Window

Sentry (6)
3 Grim
3 Shadow •••

ICE (3)
3 Chimera

Built with http://netrunner.meteor.com/

This deck is something like 50% likely to win by turn 10, and then 10% likely to win after that. So it's very much a "win or die, go, go, go!" deck.

Onto the tournament!

Round 1 - Zach

I think he ran first. His Noise deck against a pure rush deck turned out to be an unfortunate matchup for him. Especially given my draws. I was able to get out an Astroscript Pilot Program on turn 3 or so behind a single Ice Wall. Then I put a Grim in front of that Ice Wall and over-scored a Project Beale for 3 points. He grabbed an Astroscript Pilot Program off of R&D, and a Project Beale from my hand, but then I just suicide drew until I found a my third Astroscript Pilot Program, and closed out the game.

My Andromeda deck against his Weyland: Building a Better World deck. He started off by scoring Hostile Takeover from hand. This turned out to be a very smart opener since it allowed him to turn Archer on before I could play a Source to the table. Unfortunately, my opening hand was big burst economy, The Source, and Crypsis. That let me lock down the game early, preventing him from scoring any agendas other than Hostile Takeover without advancing them first, and once I got the rest of my economy online, the game became a pure economic attrition war. Since he didn't have any ambushes in the deck, there was no way to push me into running non-agendas.

Round 2 - Seth

Seth ran his Kate deck against me, and basically just got hosed on the draws. My first turn was to Anonymous Tip, install Astroscript Pilot Program behind Ice Wall, leaving me with a second Astroscript Pilot Program and a Project Beale in my hand. He dropped an R&D Interface and started pressuring R&D. Couldn't find any agendas. I scored the first Astroscript Pilot Program. He couldn't get any agendas out of open R&D. I Beanstalk Royalties into Hedge Fund into installing SanSan City Grid behind the Ice Wall in case he's found a way to get in. He hasn't, and still can't find anything in R&D. I score my second Astroscript Pilot Program with SanSan City Grid, both of them with counters on them. He doesn't hit anything on R&D. I Green Level Clearance, install a Pop-up Window on R&D, and put my Project Beale in my remote. He continues to come up empty on R&D. I use my Astroscript tokens to over-score Project Beale for 3 points, and the game.

Then I ran against his Weyland: Building a Better World deck. My opening hand is pretty good. He ices up, I drop some economy and The Source. Seth eyes me, shrugs, and continues setting up. Then he installs and advances an agenda that I can't get to. It's a Project Atlas, which he's glad to over-pay for anyway, and my Source goes away. I forget to immediately replace it, and he shoves a Hostile Takeover through a couple of turns later. At some point in here, I run HQ with a Femme Fatale in play and 6 credits available. Seth has a chance to rez a Grim and blow up the Femme, but declines because he's prepping to score an installed agenda and has nothing in hand for me to hit. Seth manages to score a Geothermal Fracking through The Source for five, taking him to five points. At this point, though, I manage to get the board fully locked down, and I'm running away economically. I get in a couple of key Vamps to reset his economy, and get my full suite online with Underworld Contact ticking my economy up by three every turn on top of Kati Jones and Armitage, and I grab a Project Atlas, play Levy AR Lab Access, and just chain The Source over and over to keep him off of scoring. I was actually worried that he might manage to get two Hostile Takeovers and sneak them in under me, but he couldn't quite get there.

Round 3 - Chris

Chris offered to get "the long one" out of the way first, so I ran against his Jinteki: Personal Evolution deck. Chris is an excellent player, but I've played against his deck repeatedly in casual play, so I had a pretty good idea of what surprises he had waiting. He managed to get an early Gila Hands Arcology out to drive his economy, but I ended up winning on the back of something like 8 Infiltrations for the expose through a combination of Same Old Thing and the Levy AR Lab Access reset. Since I knew he didn't have Trick of Light in the deck, I just left his traps sitting around and sniped most of the agendas whenever he left one out there. Chris managed to get up to five points, and told me he was thinking that the deck might need a second Zaibatsu Loyalty to combat expose-heavy control decks like mine.

Then he runs his Kate deck against my NBN, and just picks everything apart. I get a server set up with a Chimera, and try to push through my Astroscript Pilot Program, and he drops an Atman at 0 and steals it. Then he grabs two Project Beales out of HQ, and then hits a third off of R&D around turn seven or eight. I think I might have snuck an Astroscript Pilot Program through at some point, but it didn't help.

Round 4 - Mike

Mike ran his Andromeda deck against me first. He managed to get a good amount of early pressure up with Desperado and Datasucker, but he couldn't dig up a Cyrpsis until after I'd scored an Astroscript Pilot Program and an over-scored Project Beale for 3 points behind an Ice Wall plus Grim server. He did manage to grab both an Astroscript Pilot Program and a Project Beale from R&D and HQ in the meantime, but then I get a Jackson Howard on the table and start suicide drawing. I end up with a seven card hand with a Project Beale and an Executive Retreat, and discard the Executive Retreat. Mike smartly runs on Archives, forcing me to pop Jackson Howard to put the Executive Retreat back in my deck, then he hits HQ, but can't find my Project Beale. I use the Astroscript Pilot Program token on my next turn to close out the game.

Then it was time for me to run his Jinteki: Personal Evolution deck. It was brutal. Mike managed to push through a very fast Priority Requisition while I was still setting up (and before I could find The Source). He didn't have anything good to rez with it (just an Enigma), but it was enough to give him a huge starting point to work from. From there things get really, really grindy. I snag a Fetal AI, and then a False Lead, and he pushes through a Braintrust, leaving him with a five to three lead. We spend the next 20 minutes with me locking the entire board down. I exposed everything he advanced, then Vamped him and blew up his ambushes to turn off his Trick of Light play. I grab another False Lead, making it 5 to 4. We'd been playing this game for over 45 minutes at this point, and Mike makes this brilliant play. He puts out a Cerebral Overwriter and double-advances it. I Infiltrate it. He puts out a Fetal AI and double-advances it. I Infiltrate it. I'm virtually positive that he must have a Braintrust in hand, and a Trick of Light as well. Thus, if I don't run the Fetal AI, he can score it for the win. And if I do, and don't win, my Source will go away, and he can Trick of Light the Braintrust for the win. For some reason, I think that I have five points and that I've just won the game. So instead of using Same Old Thing to Vamp him and take out his Cerebral Overwriter, I just steal the Fetal AI, and smile. Mike points to my score area, and I count them up and facepalm as he shrugs and scores the Braintrust. It was a totally amazing game.

All in all, it was a great tournament. I played a bunch of really amazing games, and finished it up exhausted (and semi-surprised my tie breakers put me on top). I am constantly impressed by just how good the players around NYC seem to be, both in terms of attitude, and in terms of skill.

Thanks, everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.