Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ike
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey fellow geeks,

Looking for some advice here! Been eyeing both Helvetia and Village and am wondering which one is better. On the surface level there are similar themes, with marrying off your workers, raising a family, collecting resources, etc., with the key innovation for Village being of course the time track and that your workers can die. Which one plays better with two players? Which one has the most replayability and paths to victory? Do either punish for specialization or force you to do a little of everything?

We're still trying to find a game where we can build something (be it an engine or a family) and enjoy it for a time. We like that aspect of something growing before our eyes via our tableau, as seen in Castles of Burgundy, Suburbia, Caverna/Agricola, but more often than not there's not enough time to enjoy it or it gets taken away from us. Burgundy is close with its relaxing pace but it is a bit light, and Suburbia is a bit meatier but the balancing act can be stressful at times. Caverna felt too straightforward in terms of worker placement, which is why I was looking into Helvetia and Village for some added spice, and the other issue is that you are pushed to do a lot of things within a short time. Granted, this isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I have other games that already scratch that itch.

I was checking the other tableau builder thread that's a few spots down but the focus there looked to be card games, which is enjoyable but not as visually nice.

Any thoughts as always would be much appreciated from this community. Thank you much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Boat
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Hevletia vs. Village or other recs?
These are two of my favorite games, so it is hard for me to recommend one over the other, but I will do my best.

Between the two, I think Village has more paths to victory and replayability, partially in thanks to the random cubes that get placed every round. So far, I have not fallen into any sort of pattern of strategy, though there are certain goals I prefer to pursue. You'll usually need to focus on at least two different paths throughout the game.

As far as a sense of "building" is concerned, I think you'd find Helvetia to be more rewarding, since you're actually constructing your personal board of buildings and choosing how your family grows. Village is more about controlling when your workers/family are removed from the game and placed into the memorial, which can feel rewarding but I've never personally felt like I was building anything from it. It's more of a constant cycle.

I can't really say which would be better with 2-players, but from what I know about both games I don't think either would be worse because of the player count.

If I had to pick one for my collection, I would go with Helvetia. It's got a bit more player interaction and though both games have some unique mechanics I find Helvetia's mechanics to be more in tune with the theme.

Also, as a final note, I wasn't super attached to Village until I purchased the expansion, partially because it allowed up to 5 players, but I think the tavern really helps add focus to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both, and judging by your preferences I'd say try Helvetia. Village is a great game, made even better by its expansion, but Helvetia has much more of a "tableau" type feel to it. There's also the fun of marrying off your offspring, figuring out when to put your people to work and when to wake them up, the game feels a little deeper to me.

I also think Helvetia plays better with 2, but they are both great games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ike
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Excellent! Thanks so much you two. Looks like Helvetia it is. Appreciate you both keeping in mind our preferences!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norberto Leiva
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After 10? games with Village (all 2 player) and 1 game of Helvetia (3 players) these are my thoughts:

In Helvetia you may marry your workers with the other players', you can then use their action spaces, etc...Helvetia has a resource transforming mechanic which Village lacks at all. Be aware that I have only played one game, but Helvetia felt heavier and more interactive than Village in my book.

Village offers some (not much) interaction in the market, church and the chronicles book, but otherwise, is a 'follow your path' game. Core mechanic is simple: pick a cube from an action space and make that action. In the plus side, Village rewards specialization (I'm not sure about Helvetia), you can ignore absolutely 2 of the 5 scoring parts of the game and win, so you can try different strategies every game.

Helvetia is great with 3, but not sure about 2 players. Village is definitly very good with 2 (I havenĀ“t played it with more), my girlfriend loves it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian O'Toole
Australia
Queens Park
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Helvetia's great, also take a look at Lancaster by the same designer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Duvall
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just ordered Helvetia at a great price from amazon.de, after seeing Rahdo's run thru. He makes a solid case as a 2-player with dummy. I also have Glen More on order from .de after seeing Rahdo's run thru - it gets lots of 2-player votes on these boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.