Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Wray
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am wondering if we are playing correctly or if the game itself is designed strangely. It seems like whoever has the lead in fans, tends to win the game. By the time you are in the last week, it is pretty much going through the motions.

Is there some aspect of the game that allows players to catch up or turn around the score towards the end?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ganging up on the leader is pretty much the only thing. That and lucky draws.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First, are you playing with the standard "salary cap" rules? It's on the first page of the faq (here: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/blood-bowl/sup...).

While there is admittedly an impetus to "keep up with the jonses" in this game, my experience is that it can be swingy. If one guy concentrates on higlights with fan rewards early, his deck is weak and lacks the upgrades to prevail in later rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wann
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen games even where we use the revised rules regarding removal of some of the staff upgrades where teams have managed a come from behind win at the end of game stage.

Humans are actually the team that does this most if they have the right Team upgrade/s and a dash of star players.

Contracts are also another factor that can effect the end result.

So never give up and if you cant really win, start some leader bashing; drop hints to the other players that certain teams are the dangerous ones because they have the most fans and you can possibly snatch a victory in the Blood Bowl at the very least. Small bragging rights but hey, at least you won something. Its a sporting season, theres a trophy in your cabinet if you win a tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The Fan-focused strategy can win but it is only one strategy amongst a number. As a previous poster has mentioned, when someone focuses on fans-only they can fall behind after a couple of rounds as other teams develop their deck and upgrades and begin to dominate the later rounds.

The main advantage of the fan strategy is not so much that you can get an early lead but that it is usually un-thematic (it's nice to improve your team) and therefore unpopular. This means that whilst other players will invest their efforts in team upgrades and star players, usually vigorously contested, it is easy to steal a march and gain a large number of fans with minimal effort. If you can get away with this for 3-4 rounds it can often be enough to build an unassailable lead. However it is hugely dependent upon the other players allowing you to do so...

If they realise what you are doing too early and start to target you then you'll almost certainly be dead in the water. The combination of other players being ruthless and your weaker deck now being incapable of competing means that you'll probably end up far behind the winner at the finish.

As another poster has also mentioned, the addition of the expansion contract tokens makes this strategy harder to implement. The contracts will probably add 10-15 points to the winner and these will almost always be hotly contested as highlights, and even more so in tournaments. Without an improved team you won't be able to win the later matchups and this will exacerbate your loss.

So, to sum:

Fans are a good strategy but the real strength is that it isn't a particularly popular one. If you can get away with it for 3-4 turns then you have a good chance for victory but once you're discovered prepare for a lot of pain. Very occasionally I'll employ it, usually if I'm getting muscled out of juicier winnings but the other players, but it's not an optimal strategy by any stretch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wray
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, very kind of all you of you to offer suggestions. I will give it a whirl. I did play a fan-point centric game. I will change up my style of play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe everyone will chase what you just did. So "settle" for just going after star players...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've only played one game so you might want a shaker of salt to go with this... But I think it comes down to group think. If the players let you claim all the fans, then yeah, you'll run away with the game. If players keep track of who is winning and what they are going for, then it's a completely different game. I started with a fan-heavy strategy and got off to an early lead, but by round three all the other players were intentionally bashing me at every turn, and I ended up losing in the last round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dork Angel
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer - I haven't played the game yet, just perused the rules a lot. Hopefully when the novelty with Everybody's Golf on the PS3 wears off with my friends I can finally get it to the table.

Looking through the rules (no expansion yet) it seems the big fan payoff is in the tournaments. There are a few other ways to pick up fans here and there but they are nothing compared to winning a tournament. Perhaps if you could pick up enough in other ways a second tournament place would be enough but it would seem a risky strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Certain groups seem to develop a group meta on strategy (Not just for this game). I've definitely seen the fan race with some players, but once they have a player defeat them by employing a star player or team upgrade strategy it quickly breaks the group thinking down.

The Contracts from sudden death can help break this up as well.

I tend to find people start out focusing on the accumulate fans strategy, but eventually the penny drops and people start spreading the strategies after a few games.

In saying that, it is important that people don't just let one player sit there every round grabbing all the fan points uncontested whilst fighting over upgrade points, but I can also say the same in reverse, that you can't just let one player get all the upgrades uncontested either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I got hosed in my last game going for a fan based strategy. I was playing Skaven, grabbed a few star players in the first turn and then relied on my sprint abilities to cycle through my players on each matchup.

Things went ok, until the last turn when I drew 4 linemen and two other players that didn't have sprint. My opponents with their upgrades crushed me, and the only fans that I saw on that crucial last turn were the consolation prize for attending the tournament.

So, getting fans is important, but if your team sucks, you won't get them where it counts (especially in the tournaments).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.