Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Magnus Rydin
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just started on my Beserkers.
My plan was to make the hardened shells sort of shellfish like, but I am not there yet.
Anyway, this is my current WIP:

How is YOUR fatty coming?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Rydin
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now the cons will be easily enough to recognize in their orange suites, but the guards will probably be problematic to easily pin-point..

Bah, maybe the best would be to give them all a redish/brown skincolor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
帆立が大好き!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Rydin
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
longagoigo wrote:
帆立が大好き!!

私はあなたのお母さんが知っていることを望みます!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Anonymous
Germany
flag msg tools
Morphie wrote:
Now the cons will be easily enough to recognize in their orange suites, but the guards will probably be problematic to easily pin-point..

Problem is that redish skin doesn't look really undead if you ask me.
I think I will try necrotic flesh skincolor and yellow/brown shells.

My zombies also get green or brown sides of the base to distinguish toxics and beserkers.

Sadly im still waiting for my delivery.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morphie wrote:
longagoigo wrote:
帆立が大好き!!

私はあなたのお母さんが知っていることを望みます!

なぜ我々は日本語で叫んでいる!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Rydin
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Abbath wrote:
Morphie wrote:

My zombies also get green or brown sides of the base to distinguish toxics and beserkers.

Yeah, what worries me about going with a reddish-brown skin is that it will just look awful

The problem (as I see it) with lighter skins, such in this picture , is the contrast to the shells...

And when it comes to the guards etc with very little visible shells, the only thing that will give it away as a Beserker will be my orange base outline..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Rydin
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Morphie wrote:
longagoigo wrote:
帆立が大好き!!

私はあなたのお母さんが知っていることを望みます!

なぜ我々は日本語で叫んでいる!

全く分からない。私は漫画を責める!

edit: 翻訳を台無し
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Aldrich
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always paint them like the art, with greenish shells. Although this makes them look a bit like toxic zombies.

I'm probably going to paint mine with grayish decayed skin and just leave a ring of orange around the base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Anonymous
Germany
flag msg tools
455_PWR wrote:
You could always paint them like the art, with greenish shells. Although this makes them look a bit like toxic zombies.

I'm probably going to paint mine with grayish decayed skin and just leave a ring of orange around the base.

The art of the toxics and berserkers isnt very good looking for me.
The berserkers look more toxic than the toxic zombies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Rydin
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
455_PWR wrote:

Yes, I too think they resemble toxic ones too much. here is how he ended up:

Think that is how Im going to go with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Aldrich
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those look beautiful!

I like the final scheme you went with for the berserker fatty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Nielsen
msg tools
These look great!

I would very much like to get into learning how to paint my miniatures like these. How would one start? What cind of brushes or tools would one need.

I guess the question could be reduced to: if one has no teacher, where can one learn?

Again, these look amazing and inspiring!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quittersnvrwin wrote:
I guess the question could be reduced to: if one has no teacher, where can one learn?

A combination of various blogs, YouTube, and the BGG miniatures painters guild, should get you pretty far down the mini painting road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
quittersnvrwin wrote:

A combination of various blogs, YouTube, and the BGG miniatures painters guild, should get you pretty far down the mini painting road.

Yeah, it is pretty daunting if your a new painter, but there is a wealth of advise out there on the internet. If like me, you like to learn by being around somebody who can show you techniques, and you can question them further, look for local clubs in your area that may be able to help. If you have a Games Workshop near you, they are really good for teaching new painters (although you'll need to buy some of their miniatures)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vincent
msg tools
quittersnvrwin wrote:
How would one start?
Try this for starting out. Also, here's a starter Paint/brush set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abbath wrote:
Morphie wrote:

I actually decided to paint the guards in orange too, just for ease of telling them apart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Altr Star
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great work Morphie, I wish knew how to paint like that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Rydin
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
altrstar wrote:
Great work Morphie, I wish knew how to paint like that!

Thanks! But I *do not know how to paint*
I just recently picked it up and just trying to make it good enough for my boardgames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wooster
msg tools
I was able to get some paint on some of the inmate zombies from Prison Outbreak this past week.

http://i.imgur.com/Wcnroc4.jpg for the full size.

Really pleased with the results. Here's the process for anyone seeking to replicate the look:

Primed with Army Painter Necrotic Flesh
Citadel Foundation Solar Macharius Orange on clothing
Citadel Bugman's Glow thinned with Vallejo Thinner Medium and washed over skin
Drybrush Army Painter Necrotic Flesh over skin
Any combination of dark brown and sand yellow for hair and boots, then drybrushed by adding an off-white
Brush-dipped using Minwax Polyshades Antique Walnut stain
Matte sealer to remove glossiness
2:1:1 mix Reaper MSP Brown Ink, Vallejo Transparent Red, and Reaper MSP Black Ink for blood/gore effects
Citadel Devlan Mud washed into eye sockets for added depth
Eyes painted pure white
Final Matte sealing
Vallejo Gloss Varnish applied to blood/gore, focusing mostly on the skin areas, leaving clothes alone for most part

~iPaint

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Hello!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice job Nick!

Having completed my toxic crowd I thought I'd also plough on with the berserkers...

I initially tried a reddish/brown skin tone on mine but didn't like it so I'm just sticking with the old Necrotic Flesh + Strong Tone approach. I'm being doubly lazy too by not using a different tone for the carapace-like elements.

I'm hoping the uniforms and sculpts alone will be enough to identify them visually on the board. I'm also going a little more OTT with the blood - what with them being berserkers and all... Anyway, here's a shot containing one of each type of common berserker:

Mark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wooster
msg tools
Great minds think alike

I'm going to have to ditch my attempts at using Minwax on my regular and toxic zombies in favor of the Army Painter stuff. Nothing works quite as well as the old Tudor Satin stain, and it appears to have been discontinued long ago. I'll continue using it for the inmate zombies though, since it works well with the skin tone and the orange.

I'm still trying to figure out what color scheme to use on the security guard zeds. I'm leaning towards a light blue top and dark blue or maybe even black pants, tie, and cap.

~iPaint

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Rydin
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iPaint wrote:
I was able to get some paint on some of the inmate zombies from Prison Outbreak this past week.

http://i.imgur.com/Wcnroc4.jpg for the full size.

Really pleased with the results. Here's the process for anyone seeking to replicate the look:

Primed with Army Painter Necrotic Flesh
Citadel Foundation Solar Macharius Orange on clothing
Citadel Bugman's Glow thinned with Vallejo Thinner Medium and washed over skin
Drybrush Army Painter Necrotic Flesh over skin
Any combination of dark brown and sand yellow for hair and boots, then drybrushed by adding an off-white
Brush-dipped using Minwax Polyshades Antique Walnut stain
Matte sealer to remove glossiness
2:1:1 mix Reaper MSP Brown Ink, Vallejo Transparent Red, and Reaper MSP Black Ink for blood/gore effects
Citadel Devlan Mud washed into eye sockets for added depth
Eyes painted pure white
Final Matte sealing
Vallejo Gloss Varnish applied to blood/gore, focusing mostly on the skin areas, leaving clothes alone for most part

~iPaint

Nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Rydin
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorastro wrote:
Nice job Nick!

Having completed my toxic crowd I thought I'd also plough on with the berserkers...

I initially tried a reddish/brown skin tone on mine but didn't like it so I'm just sticking with the old Necrotic Flesh + Strong Tone approach. I'm being doubly lazy too by not using a different tone for the carapace-like elements.

I'm hoping the uniforms and sculpts alone will be enough to identify them visually on the board. I'm also going a little more OTT with the blood - what with them being berserkers and all... Anyway, here's a shot containing one of each type of common berserker:

Mark.

Sweet! Love the guards.

I just tried Rotten Flesh+Baal Red Wash on my Beserker but it turned out weird (in a bad way) and had too much contrast to my yellowish-white shells.
Find it hard to make the beserkers stand out without getting too cartoonish..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Nielsen
msg tools
Mark, those look absolutely amazing, and very much in line and style with your previous zombies which I have seen around the forums.

To me personaly I think the way you have painted them is the best looking. Have you in any thread described your procedure a little? If not, could you be bothered?

Anyhow, I cant even explain how perfect I think they look, both on their own but also in the context of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.