Subject: Review Blocks in the West rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: excellent [+] [View All]
GeeKenny GeeKenny
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Components
The box that comes with the game is sturdy and big enough.
Just like blocks in the east, components are of great quality, wooden blocks, beautiful cards (text could be a bit larger) and a sturdy map.
Some people say there should be bigger blocks, but bigger blocks leads to even more bigger maps.
If you have a problem with the small blocks and crowdy situations on the map, maybe think about getting the monstrous goretex maps.

Rating: From 0 - 5, I would rate them a 4,5.

I would rate it a 5, if all nations had their own player/aid card (specific artwork of that nation, how many SRM, leader capabilities, production costs etc). Maybe it is something Emanuele can add in Blocks in Afrika.

Graphics
Graphics of map and units are very nice. Terrain is represented in a way you can't have discussion on the terraintype, compared with other games it is a feast for the eyes.
You can choose between nato-stickers or icon-stickers (depending on the edition you bought or you can order afterwards) personally I do prefer the nato-stickers, because of the better overview on a strategic level.
There are some little mistakes on the map (missspelled names), but that doesn't disturbes the game.

Rating: From 0 - 5, I would rate them a 4.5.

Rules
Rules are clearly written and easy to mid-complex. If you have a question, Emanuele reacts almost each time within a couple of hours. It was a good move to place the rules on the internet before releasing the game. Customers had the chance to ask for clarifications.
The rules are written in a way you can simply add house-rules.

Rating: From 0 - 5, I would rate them a 5.

Gameplay
Players really have to deal with the nations problem of that time, oil shortage, tech level etc. So a good historical feeling comes with the game, but it is possible to change history. If things are to easy you can simply add optional rules.
As stated above the rules are easy to mid-complex, toughness of the game comes with making the right choices (production/movement etc.) and using units/terrain capabilities in the right way.

Rating: From 0 - 5, I would rate it a 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
GeeKenny wrote:
...(missspelled names)

Gee whiz, GeeKenny, definitely a 4/5 for spelling... whistle

PS: Great review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeeKenny GeeKenny
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It's a shame....blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, that is for sure more helpfull than the two, daytime shopping channel style, videos there are on the game.

Truth be told they put me off.

Not sure if I'll buy this.
I can't shake the impression that if you can't afford the special limited extra super edition, you'll be stuck with 2nd rate stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Towerwood
Belgium
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
Not sure if I'll buy this.
I can't shake the impression that if you can't afford the special limited extra super edition, you'll be stuck with 2nd rate stuff.

I own the standard edition, and it doesn't feel like "2nd rate stuff", the game still looks great!
One annoyance, though, are the cards: they are mentioned in the rulebook, they are on every single page of the scenario book, but they are not included in the standard edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
how does that effect gameplay?

is this a packing error in your game or don't you really need it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
how does that effect gameplay?

is this a packing error in your game or don't you really need it?

Freddy,

Not really. The cards are an extra and not an integral part of the base game. They are certainly a nice addition though.

Jim

Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards are not something that gets "played" but serve as reminders.

Where you might think, "I play this card and make something happen," in the game it's the opposite-- "If this thing happens, it triggers a special rule-- and I put the card out and visible to help me remember the special rule."

So that's why Jim's "nice to have, but not integral" is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Kevin.

So you stil enjoying this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.