Andrew Doull
Australia
Kirrawee
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Hi all,

I was writing up a session report for Interstellar, but it turns out I broke the game

Phil has kindly adopted my suggestions to fix it as well as tweak the rules elsewhere to clarify some start up and operation requirements. If you've played recently, you may want to have a new look at the Alive & Complete document to see the latest revisions.

As for how I broke it: parenthood abuse, dumping all my drogue pilot children into vats at age 1, and travelling at minimum speed. Along with a completely immortal crew on alert.

Phil is keeping the immortal crew hack in the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
First robotic slavery, and now child abuse by parents throwing infants into the vats...this is even worse than the Fargo Tactic! I went to so much effort to replace recreational sex with parenthood in Interstellar, but how am I ever going to get a seal of approval from parenting magazine now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The...
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as the robots don't start having sex, it should still be okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Doull
Australia
Kirrawee
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I was going to christian the ship the SS New Utah, but that is going a bit far...

As for robot sex, I'm trying to encourage Phil to add a robot/robonaut specific Grey Goo risk to the engineer profession (ship event roll of 2). Is robots making robots making robots making robots close enough?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Brown
United States
Gorham
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd still appreciate a session report or review of Interstellar if you (or anyone else) is willing. I purchased High Frontier knowing that I would most likely only play it as a solitaire game. I haven't opened anything yet because I am waiting to hear from others more familiar with the game about its replayability as a solitaire game and whether I could play Interstellar without having first played High Frontier with other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Auricle wrote:
I'd still appreciate a session report or review of Interstellar if you (or anyone else) is willing. I purchased High Frontier knowing that I would most likely only play it as a solitaire game. I haven't opened anything yet because I am waiting to hear from others more familiar with the game about its replayability as a solitaire game and whether I could play Interstellar without having first played High Frontier with other players.

I think I'd just try playing the basic and then legacy games of High Frontier first. Obviously you can't have a bidding mechanic. But you could substitute that buy having a turn limit, and then having it cost an operation to take the top card of a pile and remove it from the game, and then make each card cost a fixed WT amount. I initially thought free, but then you can just take what you want to produce in ET factories a tad too easily. This way you still have all the non-bidding mechanics of the game intact and you exchange it for a mechanism of trying to balance cobbling together what you can and waiting for the right cards to come along. That should make each game different enough that it has decent solo replayability, and the turn limit allows for a score chase to try to beat past records.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Auricle wrote:
I believe the 2 hour solitaire variant "Werner's Star" (see 22.4) would be useful here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.