Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Lee
Australia
Burwood Heights
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have a few questions:

I'm not looking to get heavily invested in it.
That being said:
I would be happy to purchase say the commander decks all 5 but no more than that if it would give me lasting replayability.

I currently have purchased two duel deck sets on preorder: the last two that were out i.e. heroes vs monsters and Sorin vs Tilbalt. Question: Is it possible to play between the decks or is this not advised as the sets are balanced against each other specifically? or has anyone tried to play this and found them to be quite balanced?

The decks that Day9 played on geeks and sundry. Are they premade decks i can purchase or were they custom built?

The decks in the planeswalker 2014 iOS game. are those decks premade and available for purchase? or to construct those decks i need to invest heavily in the deckbuilder intro packs and booster packs of 2014 to get those cards?

are the 5 commander decks that just came out a good closed ecosystem to play against each other? or not really?

Thank you in advance i'm sorry i'm so n00b im a netrunner player but magic seems so fun too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the five commander decks should be lots of fun to play against each other, especially if you want to play with more than two, and if you have any interest in the commander format (it's awesome, you should.)

They'd be easy to modify with cheap cards as you build a possible collection someday. They're full of good cards to build other decks, especially commander ones. They'll be worth what you paid for them in two years, probably, if you keep them in nice condition.

Duel decks are kind of made to play against each other. Which isn't to say that they won't work against other duel deck sets, but I can think of some just off the top of my head that wouldn't work too well. They are fun.

But I'd go with commander decks if you're willing to drop the money for the investment. I used to play the first wave with each other and it was lots of fun, and these decks look better and I can't wait to try one!

(Mostly I can't wait to combine my terribly outdated Karn and Hanna decks into one with that new esper General . . . )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Commander. There is way more value in the decks than i you went out to buy and build from scratch. They are good against each other and will provide a lot of replayability. The only draw back I would say is that they use cards from all eras of Magic and are more complex than other sets.

The Dual decks should play each other. You may find they one is stronger after a bit, but I haven't played these to tell you for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're just starting out and getting the hang of the rules... I'd say DON'T get duel decks or Commander first. Try some intro decks FIRST, then make sure you have the grasp you need to play. Otherwise you're buying product that is crammed full of mechanics that may just serve to confuse.

After you get the jist, I think both of those other products are great, just not for first time play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just started too and started with Duel Decks: Monsters vs Heroes. Great way to start IMO and if you have a good experience with general gaming you'll get the hang of things pretty quickly.

I did the reverse way of things as I started with LCGs (Living card game format of FFG) with games like Netrunner, LOTR and Warhammer Invasion plus games like Bloodbowl Team Manager and Pathfinder. LCGs have deck building elements in them and very similar rules so Magic was not hard to pick up at all.

If you have some general gaming background and can read (lol) i'd start with Duel Decks. They're better than intro packs, full of flavor and have some nice cards and combos.

20 bucks for 2 cool, fun and thematic ready-to-play decks is quite the deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Fallenangelol wrote:
Question: Is it possible to play between the decks or is this not advised as the sets are balanced against each other specifically? or has anyone tried to play this and found them to be quite balanced?
They should be quite fun against each other. WotC makes a concerted effort to not make their Duel Decks a blowout proposition, so balance is important with them. You might learn a lot in matches amongst those 4 decks.

Fallenangelol wrote:
The decks in the planeswalker 2014 iOS game. are those decks premade and available for purchase? or to construct those decks i need to invest heavily in the deckbuilder intro packs and booster packs of 2014 to get those cards?
AFAIK, the Planeswalker 2014 decks are made specifically for the game, there aren't physical pre-constructed versions of them. Now there's nothing stopping you from obtaining those decklists (probably available somewhere on the vast internets) and then cobbling them together on your own buying singles via a site like TCGPlayer.com

Fallenangelol wrote:
are the 5 commander decks that just came out a good closed ecosystem to play against each other? or not really?
I'm with Pete on this one: Commander is its own animal & isn't played quite like the basic Magic format. I would stick to those Duel Decks you have coming & maybe an Intro Pack or two so you can get the flavor down before jumping into a 100-card singleton deck, multiplayer format like Commander. There are plenty of Magic players who like Commander, and plenty of players who have played for a long time without ever touching the format. So YMMV there. They are getting a lot of hype right now because they've just been released & the original run of Commander decks from 2 years ago go for big $$$ now, if you can find them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Lee
Australia
Burwood Heights
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I should clarify when i mean between the decks i meant between the sets so for example could i take the heroes deck and face off against sorin and it would still be balanced?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fallenangelol wrote:
...for example could i take the heroes deck and face off against sorin and it would still be balanced?

No. That's what people are saying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Each duel deck is tested against itself, but not other duel decks. So Sorin vs Tibalt SHOULD be balanced against each other, but isn't always the case when you separate the intended pairings. Not saying that you could change that by tweaking the decks a bit. There are quite a few junky filler cards in these that are easy to drop in favor of more copies of the better cards (and would keep the theme intact).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thane BenAngelo
msg tools
Personally, the most fun thing about Magic for me is deck construction (limited or constructed, for very different reasons). Looking at card synergies, making up themes, or just playing around with colour and card sizes - the possibilities are very nearly infinite!

I wouldn't be intimidated by the fact that you're a new player - everybody starts out that way, and for a long time when Magic began, all you could get were random cards (a Starter pack contained two decks of 60 cards each, without any theme)/

Personally, rather than spending money on a pre-made pack that you'll get some games out of, I'd buy a Deck Builder's Toolkit, (lots of land, some semi-random cards, and four (I think?) boosters) which will give you way more fun and possibility.

YMMV though, and I expect lots of people will disagree with me. But for me, it's the deck creation that separates Magic from most other tabletop/board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, but you should play the game for awhile before you start making decks.myou have to know how the game works before you can make decks that are fun to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
Yeah, but you should play the game for awhile before you start making decks.myou have to know how the game works before you can make decks that are fun to play.

Or have patient friends who will help you realize your crazy ideas (or grind two player drafts with you).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thane BenAngelo
msg tools
Syvanis wrote:

I guess we'll have to disagree on that. Everybody I knew, when I started playing, was making their own decks. Everybody had fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Parataxis wrote:
Personally, the most fun thing about Magic for me is deck construction (limited or constructed, for very different reasons). Looking at card synergies, making up themes, or just playing around with colour and card sizes - the possibilities are very nearly infinite!

I wouldn't be intimidated by the fact that you're a new player - everybody starts out that way, and for a long time when Magic began, all you could get were random cards (a Starter pack contained two decks of 60 cards each, without any theme)/

Personally, rather than spending money on a pre-made pack that you'll get some games out of, I'd buy a Deck Builder's Toolkit, (lots of land, some semi-random cards, and four (I think?) boosters) which will give you way more fun and possibility.

YMMV though, and I expect lots of people will disagree with me. But for me, it's the deck creation that separates Magic from most other tabletop/board games.

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Parataxis wrote:
Everybody I knew, when I started playing, was making their own decks. Everybody had fun.

Today's Magic world is very different though. The ubiquity of the Internet vastly improved the average player's skills compared to the early days, and the rise of MTGO has taken that even further. Top players from the early days of the Pro Tour have often remarked that if they were to play at their old skill level today they'd never even get on the Tour in the first place, much less Top 8 it. This matters to new players as well - most new players will find most of their games at the local shop, where they'll deal with a generally strategy-savvy pool of opponents. It's fun to make your own decks, test them out, and improve them. But it's not much fun to get stomped by decks that are so much more powerful and sophisticated than your own creations that you can't even clearly see why they're stronger. Like many areas of human endeavor in these Internet-connected days, the baseline knowledge of experienced practitioners has gotten further and further from what's intuitive to a newcomer.

Ideally, new players would get some of both worlds - a chance to play with well-tested decks that provide good examples of sound design as well as a chance to play with similarly-skilled opponents all building their own decks. I don't think Wizards does a great job providing for this. The Deck Builder's Toolkit, as mentioned above, is probably the best option. None of the various precon options fit the bill very well. (Except maybe the Commander ones, but then that's a whole different scene.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Fallenangelol wrote:
Question: Is it possible to play between the decks or is this not advised as the sets are balanced against each other specifically? or has anyone tried to play this and found them to be quite balanced?
They should be quite fun against each other. WotC makes a concerted effort to not make their Duel Decks a blowout proposition, so balance is important with them. You might learn a lot in matches amongst those 4 decks.

The duel decks are specifically designed to be played against the other deck in the pair; it's actually not very likely at all that if you pick two random decks that weren't paired together that they'll be well-balanced.

The Commander sets are amazing, and about the only way I play Magic anymore, but they have a very, very high complexity. I'd recommend picking them up if you can afford it because they'll be hard to come by once they go out of print, but once you're able to manage their complexity there simply isn't a better way to play Magic*.

*my opinion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.