Hide
6 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Rules

Subject: Final Colony - One against all standstill rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Markus Grundel
msg tools
Me and 3 of my friends had our first playtrough of FF Cosmic Encounters yesterday. We all had a great deal of fun, however as most players reached for 4 colonies, we entered an unexpected standstill.

As soon as one player made a reach for his or her fifth colony, Every other player allied against him by joining the defensive side. This continued for something like 5 entire rounds of player turns, as players where refilling their hands and utilized flares in order to stop the offensive from taking their final planet. Finally people just stopped caring and some player won because lack of interest from the defence+defensive allies.

Have i understood the alliance rules correctly in assuming that a side can have AS MANY allies as possible? In a 5 or 6 player game, that would mean that the a player reaching for a fifth colony would face up to 20 ships + reinforcements/flares in his final offensive?

Besides for the never-ending finale, all players enjoyed it. But I feel that there must be some rule or something that should prevent these kind of situations from happening in upcomming games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
masgrl02 wrote:
Have i understood the alliance rules correctly in assuming that a side can have AS MANY allies as possible? In a 5 or 6 player game, that would mean that the a player reaching for a fifth colony would face up to 20 ships + reinforcements/flares in his final offensive?

Quite correct.

Yours was an exceptional experience in that usually enough people run out of cards to keep preventing the win, or someone can eventually keep all the allies away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ido Abelman
Israel
Hod Hasharon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule that prevents this from happening is the possibility of shared wins. The offensive player can invite another player with 4 colonies to help him and if they win they both reach 5 colonies at the same time and win together.
But even if people insist on solo wins, what you describe seems like a strange anomaly. 5 entire rounds?!?!?! Most games don't go that long. 3 allies are not that hard to beat if you have the right cards. Which leads to a strategic advice - save your good cards. If you get the 40/30/zaps/force field etc. you should try to save them for the endgame to overcome exactly that situation. Many new players just use them at the first opportunity - that's a mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
masgrl02 wrote:

Quite correct.

Yours was an exceptional experience in that usually enough people run out of cards to keep preventing the win, or someone can eventually keep all the allies away.

Also an exceptional experience in that I wish the people I played with were that cutthroat!

Shared wins are a disgrace, second only to not winning at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Grundel
msg tools
I guess that knowing a bit better that the final rounds would turn out like this would have allowed us to strategize more and hopefully to finish up quicker.

Still I had to make sure that I had not misunderstood the rules in some way.

Thanks for the feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mi Myma
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
masgrl02 wrote:
In a 5 or 6 player game, that would mean that the a player reaching for a fifth colony would face up to 20 ships + reinforcements/flares in his final offensive.

20 ships would usually only be possible in a 6-player (or more) game. The offense aims the gate at the planet with the least ships, right? If each of the other four players send 4 ships as allies, that's 16 plus whatever the defense had on the planet, and if every player has four foreign colonies, there's probably a planet with less than four ships on it.

You said it was you and three of your friends - that's only a four-player game, which means a maximum of 12 ally ships, and almost always less than 16 ships total that the offense has to beat.

I suspect that there is some other rule you're missing, such as:

* Allies can only send up to four ships.
* Reinforcements are discarded when used, they don't go back into your hand like flares.
* Each defensive reward is either a card or a ship from the warp - not both. So where are all these extra cards and ships coming from, if the offense is losing ships every time?
* or something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.