Subject: Great news! Engineers aren't psychopaths, but CEOs are rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57610538-71/great-news-eng...

Most psychopaths by profession:

1. CEO
2. Lawyer
3. TV and radio media
4. Salesperson
5. Surgeon
6. Journalist
7. Police officer
8. Clergy
9. Chef
10. Civil servant

No Politician? Maybe they're in the Civil Servant category?

Surgeon and Chef are rather alarming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Love my girls!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh joy. Cops made the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnylawless wrote:
Oh joy. Cops made the list.

If that surprises you I'd venture that you've not had much contact with the police.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirror, Mirror
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not too surprising a list, considering most of those professions involve having some form of power over other people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
From the article:
Quote:
Honestly, I thought engineers would be somewhere near the top of the list. The ones I know are intense creatures, prone to excessive rational thought and irrational action.

The second sentence makes no sense at all.

tesuji wrote:

If you're going to get cut open by someone, don't you want him to enjoy his work?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:
From the article:
Quote:
Honestly, I thought engineers would be somewhere near the top of the list. The ones I know are intense creatures, prone to excessive rational thought and irrational action.

The second sentence makes no sense at all.

Think Walter from Fringe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:

1. CEO
2. Lawyer
3. TV and radio media
4. Salesperson
5. Surgeon
6. Journalist
7. Police officer
8. Clergy
9. Chef
10. Civil servant

Gotta say that Clergy is rather alarming, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that based on most standards, we engineers are psychopaths in that we are trained to use data not emotion in our decisions.

This makes us monsters in many people's eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Looking into this, the information is apparently from a 2012 book. Looking through the reviews, it sounds like the author does some serious contortion of the term psychopath in order to grab the reader's attention. In other words, I wouldn't put much stock in that list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fizzmore wrote:
I wouldn't put much stock in that list.

Same as any list on the internet (especially crap like top 100 guitarists), but its fun to poke at anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Geosphere wrote:

Who from what?

fizzmore wrote:
Looking into this, the information is apparently from a 2012 book. Looking through the reviews, it sounds like the author does some serious contortion of the term psychopath in order to grab the reader's attention. In other words, I wouldn't put much stock in that list.

I think I learnt only one thing from that article and it's that the author really doesn't like engineers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

Who from what?

TV series on Netflix. X-Files like, at least in the early seasons.

Walter is astounding brilliant, knowing pretty much all there is to know about science. He's a combination of Stephen Hawking and Bill Gates, with his former partner having been more like Elon Musk.

However, he has literally had chunks of his brain removed.

What you are left with is a person who can deduce amazing scientific reasons, but will stop a critical autopsy he is performing to get a root beer float and drop some acid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Geosphere wrote:
TV series on Netflix. X-Files like, at least in the early seasons.

Walter is astounding brilliant, knowing pretty much all there is to know about science. He's a combination of Stephen Hawking and Bill Gates, with his former partner having been more like Elon Musk.

However, he has literally had chunks of his brain removed.

What you are left with is a person who can deduce amazing scientific reasons, but will stop a critical autopsy he is performing to get a root beer float and drop some acid.

Well, that's obviously a ficional person. In reality, though, even "mad scientists" who have engineered the world's most destructive weapons are usually quite tame in their personality. Weird, yes and maybe even mentally unstable, but psychopathy is a very specific case of mental illness. There's a difference between rational and unscrupulous.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raphael Rondeau-Côté
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:

1. CEO
2. Lawyer
3. TV and radio media
4. Salesperson
5. Surgeon
6. Journalist
7. Police officer
8. Clergy
9. Chef
10. Civil servant

There are almost all lawyer so it's number 2; at least here in Quebec
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
Those findings do not come as any surprise to me at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AKA Halston Thrombeaux
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
fizzmore wrote:

I remember that guy doing the rounds on NPR after the book came out, and in person he was a bit more careful to point out that this is based on the results of a test that's been designed to screen for psycopathy, and the potential flaws of the test.

He interviewed the man who designed the test, who was somewhat horrified by how widespread his test had become, mutating in the wild from a simple diagnostic aid for clinicians to a routine element of sentencing and parole hearings, which is not what it was designed for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
I have a tax lawyer friend who claims he always charges engineers double - it will be more of a pain to do their work, because the engineer thinks he can just understand all the tax and legal stuff his/herself without having actually gone to college in it...

I'm not saying all engineers are like this. And even so, would this equate to being a psychopath?

I do think an "I can do that" mentality comes with the profession. You're always building something new that has never existed in the world before.

I'm an engineer (sort of - web developer, no CS degree) so it's OK for me to talk say all this....
devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlad Taltos
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
tesuji wrote:

1. CEO
2. Lawyer
3. TV and radio media
4. Salesperson
5. Surgeon
6. Journalist
7. Police officer
8. Clergy
9. Chef
10. Civil servant

I'd expect people who want to convince me their imaginary friend cares about my life to be a bit insane. Also giving them selves the added power of the pulpit\theology\traditions to manipulate and dominate people would seem to be very attractive to psychopaths. They are good liars which makes them appear much like the true believers (who are just good liars to themselves).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:

Don't know why. Think of the power that people give them. They get up in front of a large audience provide a sermon, and for many there, it acts as a substitute for reading the Bible. For some, the guy giving the sermon and the Bible are one and the same, though they'd vehemently disagree if you put it to them like that.

Then there are those who put themselves out there as counselors. Whether it is those who slip into sin, financial advice, or especially marital counseling, the congregation puts a lot of trust in people who have a wide array of formal training, from doctorates down to "This is what the Bible says."

And how do they get paid? They pass around a plate and people put money in it to pay them to do what they do. That is a mammoth ego stroke. Some people work sixty hours a week at backbreaking labor, and then they hand some of that cash over to someone. they could sit in the back and listen for free, but there are those who fork over their cash in order to support the guy on stage.

I'm not saying every member of the clergy is in it for the power trip, but I can easily see how some would get into it for exactly that reason, and I could also see how those who got into it for altruistic reasons would have it grow into something else over time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Golly wrote:
JohnnyOffice wrote:
tesuji wrote:

1. CEO
2. Lawyer
3. TV and radio media
4. Salesperson
5. Surgeon
6. Journalist
7. Police officer
8. Clergy
9. Chef
10. Civil servant

I'd expect people who want to convince me their imaginary friend cares about my life to be a bit insane. Also giving them selves the added power of the pulpit\theology\traditions to manipulate and dominate people would seem to be very attractive to psychopaths. They are good liars which makes them appear much like the true believers (who are just good liars to themselves).

Yes yes.... you're very angsty. Here's your patronizing pat on the head. Good job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Psychopath is one of those words that sounds scientific but really has no agreed upon meaning, even contradictory meanings, and which professionals don't use. It's kinda like "global warming".

This whole concept for the thread is pretty meaningless and looks to me to be politically motivated. Whoa! Just like.... Oh never mind.

Agreed, but FYI, this is almost the identical list of professions where narcissism is more represented than in the general population; both, in narcissistic traits as well as Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD). Said differently, individuals with such psychological traits tend to gravitate toward these fields.

This list about "psychopaths" makes sense as narcissism is a principal component of psychopathy/sociopathy/whatever. I've seen a list of the subject areas for questions for that clinical tool, and a large portion of them deal with narcissistic tendencies.

But yes, I agree with you that the word psychopath is used here loosely, i.e. not the common Texas chainsaw massacre stereotype.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stein
msg tools
Simon Mueller wrote:
tesuji wrote:

If you're going to get cut open by someone, don't you want him to enjoy his work?

That's a common misconception. A psychopath is not necessarily a sadist, nor are they particularly likely to take enjoyment out of anothers pain. They simply aren't affected by it at all for the most part. They also don't retain memories of feelings and sensations very well at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stein
msg tools
isaacc wrote:
But yes, I agree with you that the word psychopath is used here loosely, i.e. not the common Texas chainsaw massacre stereotype.

It's being used in a clearer sense of what psychopaths are and are not. The Texas chainsaw massacre type character is not particularly likely to be a stereotype.

You'd be looking for coincidence of two fairly rare traits- psychopathy and a certain type of personality. Independence might be violated by the fact that the average person might have sufficient qualms to avoid such activity while the psychopath has no such check on behaviour. I'm reasonably sure that studies tend to show disproportionate numbers among repeat offenders so a serial killer is more likely to be a psychopath than the man on the street but majority of such killers are not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlad Taltos
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
Golly wrote:
JohnnyOffice wrote:
tesuji wrote:

1. CEO
2. Lawyer
3. TV and radio media
4. Salesperson
5. Surgeon
6. Journalist
7. Police officer
8. Clergy
9. Chef
10. Civil servant

Yes yes.... you're very angsty. Here's your patronizing pat on the head. Good job.

Keep your hands to yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:

1. CEO
2. Lawyer
3. TV and radio media
4. Salesperson
5. Surgeon
6. Journalist
7. Police officer
8. Clergy
9. Chef
10. Civil servant

That list is bogus. Everybody knows that postal workers should have the #1 spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.