Adam Sutphen
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Due to an odd shipping error I got an extra burnt affecting a adventure pack (adventure 1) & I'm not sure what to do with it.

Any recommendations on what to do with it?

How bady would it unbalance the game if I added a second copy of burnt offerings to my set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
acefury wrote:
Due to an odd sipping error

What were they sipping? Bourbon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
How bady would it unbalance the game if I added a second copy of burnt offerings to my set?

It may make the game less interesting as you'll encounter the higher count cards a lot more often. And it will make the card stacks harder to store and shuffle.

Use the cards to make your own custom cards with accurate backs maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calthaer the Bard
Turks and Caicos Islands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
It may make the game less interesting as you'll encounter the higher count cards a lot more often. And it will make the card stacks harder to store and shuffle.

Agree 100% with this. Am most of the way through "Skinsaw Murders" with my wife (2-player Valeros / Lini), and it was frustrating last adventure to have all locations with gimpy, basic-level / base-set loot in them. Even after we'd cleared the locations and "peeked" at what we had missed, it was nothing special.

A lot of people seem to want to do this, but I can't for the life of me figure out why...it'll only make it all the more likely that the cool spells, weapons, allies, and blessings from Adventure Deck 2+ never come up. Not to mention those rare promo cards - Blessing of Zarongel has ended up in the counter-deck for the last three or four games...if you ever want to see Poog or Fire Sneeze, those extra base cards will make it nigh impossible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
acefury wrote:

Sell it. Trade it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wardell
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
May 25
badge
I think you ought to know I'm feeling very depressed.
mbmbmbmbmb
acefury wrote:
Due to an odd shipping error I got an extra burnt affecting a adventure pack (adventure 1) & I'm not sure what to do with it.

2013-2014 SPARE PARTS RESOURCE LIST
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watt
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Calthaer wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

Agree 100% with this. Am most of the way through "Skinsaw Murders" with my wife (2-player Valeros / Lini), and it was frustrating last adventure to have all locations with gimpy, basic-level / base-set loot in them. Even after we'd cleared the locations and "peeked" at what we had missed, it was nothing special.

A lot of people seem to want to do this, but I can't for the life of me figure out why...it'll only make it all the more likely that the cool spells, weapons, allies, and blessings from Adventure Deck 2+ never come up. Not to mention those rare promo cards - Blessing of Zarongel has ended up in the counter-deck for the last three or four games...if you ever want to see Poog or Fire Sneeze, those extra base cards will make it nigh impossible.

So would you say there's no point in having extra copies of the base set or expansions? Sometimes in games like this it's useful to have extra parts, but it sounds like that's not the case here. Except for dice of course, but I've got lots of those already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calthaer the Bard
Turks and Caicos Islands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I am saying that it is not only pointless but undesirable to combine multiple base set / expansions together into one "pool" from which to draw cards for the game. The card roster has been pretty carefully balanced such that powerful, "cool" weapons, allies, blessings, armor, items, and spells come up just infrequently enough to be exciting when it happens.

Messing with that distribution (good cards vs. "meh" cards) by adding more cards from an extra base set / expansion will mean that you'll necessarily see fewer cards from the other expansions come up during play, skewing the balance of the game, with unpredictable results. If I had to hazard a guess as to what might happen, I would assume that your characters would have a very difficult time "gearing up" for more difficult battles (because the cards you encounter are more likely to be lower-powered, in the case of adding another base set), and you will eventually find the scenarios too difficult for you to win without excessive "grinding" (viz., replaying lower-level scenarios) to get the requisite power-cards to be able to accomplish your goals. This would occur because those better cards show up in later expansions, and because you overweighted the distribution towards the early / less powerful cards in prior expansions, you will see those more advanced cards less frequently.

The only case where I would consider it useful to have "spare parts" would be if you frequently ruin cards (e.g., spill water or get food on them, etc.). Then again, I sleeve the cards, so don't generally have issues with card degradation...but that's the only case I could foresee having double of everything be useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adkwatt wrote:
Calthaer wrote:
StormKnight wrote:

So would you say there's no point in having extra copies of the base set or expansions? Sometimes in games like this it's useful to have extra parts, but it sounds like that's not the case here. Except for dice of course, but I've got lots of those already.

I'd say the game is intentionally balanced around the cards in the base set. They add some in the character pack to allow for 5 and 6 players but it keeps the ratios for the most part. I'd worry that another AP in the box would bork those ratios and create an imbalance.

You're right, I didn't notice it was Burnt Offerings, it would be an unlikely trade candidate! You may just be stuck with it for now. If this base set ever goes the way of the dodo due to future new base set releases, it might be worth something to someone who wants to play through it using future base sets but never picked up this base set. ITs a long shot but you never know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♫ As the masters rot on walls ♫ And the angels eat their grapes ♫ I watched Picasso Visit The Planet Of The Apes ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
acefury wrote:

I'd print from BGG images the PACG promos and slip them in a sleeve with extra BO cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Karrde
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JimbobJones wrote:
kelann08 wrote:
acefury wrote:

Sell it. Trade it.

Hard one to sell/trade. Doesn't it come with every base set?

Best bet may be to wait until the next Adventure Path comes out, assuming that begins with a new base set. Then, someone who just started the game with that one may want to come back and play Rise of the Runelords without having to buy the base set. However you do it, it will be a very niche market.

Possibly just keep to replace lost or damaged cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watt
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Calthaer wrote:
Yes, I am saying that it is not only pointless but undesirable to combine multiple base set / expansions together into one "pool" from which to draw cards for the game. The card roster has been pretty carefully balanced such that powerful, "cool" weapons, allies, blessings, armor, items, and spells come up just infrequently enough to be exciting when it happens.

Messing with that distribution (good cards vs. "meh" cards) by adding more cards from an extra base set / expansion will mean that you'll necessarily see fewer cards from the other expansions come up during play, skewing the balance of the game, with unpredictable results. If I had to hazard a guess as to what might happen, I would assume that your characters would have a very difficult time "gearing up" for more difficult battles (because the cards you encounter are more likely to be lower-powered, in the case of adding another base set), and you will eventually find the scenarios too difficult for you to win without excessive "grinding" (viz., replaying lower-level scenarios) to get the requisite power-cards to be able to accomplish your goals. This would occur because those better cards show up in later expansions, and because you overweighted the distribution towards the early / less powerful cards in prior expansions, you will see those more advanced cards less frequently.

The only case where I would consider it useful to have "spare parts" would be if you frequently ruin cards (e.g., spill water or get food on them, etc.). Then again, I sleeve the cards, so don't generally have issues with card degradation...but that's the only case I could foresee having double of everything be useful.

OK, that's about what I thought. The character add-on pack mentions "additional copies of some of the game's most useful spells", so I wasn't sure if there were ever cases when there wouldn't be enough. Are the character add-on cards well balanced if you have less than 5 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calthaer the Bard
Turks and Caicos Islands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adkwatt wrote:
OK, that's about what I thought. The character add-on pack mentions "additional copies of some of the game's most useful spells", so I wasn't sure if there were ever cases when there wouldn't be enough. Are the character add-on cards well balanced if you have less than 5 players?

The stuff included in the Character Add-On deck is described here:

http://paizo.com/products/btpy91un/discuss?Pathfinder-Advent...

You're supposed to mix in the add-on cards with the regular cards no matter what characters you're using, so yeah - it's balanced. I will say that the good cards in the add-on are really cool and useful, and I wouldn't play the game without them...for example, the Deathbane Light Crossbow - a very good weapon for Harsk and Merisiel from the Base Set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Boyd
msg tools
Mike designed and balanced the game very well and very specifically. Check out his "after 1500+ posts - my thoughts" thread on the Paizo boards.

Frankly, if you added a second deck, you would unbalance and break the game (IMHO). I would put it aside for when some of your cards get worn out from overuse or line them all up under a glass tabletop for some coffee table art...or send them back because you are an honest consumer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.