Popular Tags: [View All]
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan to run another game in a few months based on the book Cryptonomicon written by Neal Stephenson:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptonomicon

"Cryptonomicon is a 1999 novel by Neal Stephenson that concurrently follows the exploits of World War II-era cryptographers affiliated with Bletchley Park in their attempts to crack Axis codes and fight the Nazi submarine fleet, alongside the story of their descendants, who are attempting to use modern cryptography to build a data haven in the fictitious state of Kinakuta, a small nation with geographical and political parallels to Brunei. Cryptonomicon is closer to the genres of historical fiction and contemporary techno-thriller than to the science fiction settings of Stephenson's earlier works, and features fictionalized characterizations of such historical figures as Alan Turing, Douglas MacArthur, Winston Churchill, Isoroku Yamamoto, Karl Donitz, Albert Einstein, and Ronald Reagan, as well as some highly technical and detailed descriptions of modern cryptography and information security, and subjects ranging from prime numbers and modular arithmetic to van Eck phreaking."

This is a big book, and will require a big game, perhaps more than one.

The book has two main story lines interwoven together: one dealing with World War 2, and the other occurring in the present time.

My idea is to run two games at once based on these two story lines. But here is the hook: events happening in the WWII story line will affect the players in the Present Day one.

If you have a preference for wich era you would like to play, please note that.

Opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Re: New Game Idea - Crytponomicon - Opinions wanted
Other than the guy is one of my favorite writers ever, the idea of two separate but inter-dependent games is intriguing to say the least.

Do you have any ideas about how this might be accomplished?

Are we still talking about a werewolf game? Or more like a game with two (more?) sides and different agendas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
shugyosha wrote:
Are we still talking about a werewolf game? Or more like a game with two (more?) sides and different agendas?

No. Yes.

More along the lines of AGoT and Dune. But not near as complex or big. Multiple groups with differing agendas. But there will be a story line much the same way I did w/ Snow Crash.

Like it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. This sounds very cool.

2. It should have lots of PMs.

3. I imagine it would be pretty tough to moderate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:
1. This sounds very cool.

Quote:

yes of course. but there will be the chance they could get intercepted

Quote:
3. I imagine it would be pretty tough to moderate.

yep, I have someone drafted to co-mod w/ me. I won't undertake it on my own. I am thinking August would be good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
in the snow crash game, the ability to identify oneself as a character from the book made it lots easier than usual to figure out who's who (good vs evil). for instance, i "knew" guyhill was on the good team because he claimed to be "squeaky"

this should either be reduced/eliminated for a follow up game, or else the follow-up game become so un-werewolf-like that it doesn't matter if you know who everybody is.

the latter is appealing. a non ww game. but then it's a busy jmilum until august, creating a whole new game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:

Quote:

yes of course. but there will be the chance they could get intercepted

Oh, definitely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jwandke wrote:
in the snow crash game, the ability to identify oneself as a character from the book made it lots easier than usual to figure out who's who (good vs evil). for instance, i "knew" guyhill was on the good team because he claimed to be "squeaky"

But Xandryyte was "Juanita" whom I expected in the role mix above Squeaky.

I thought that was one part that Jmil got exactly right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
jwandke wrote:

this should either be reduced/eliminated for a follow up game, or else the follow-up game become so un-werewolf-like that it doesn't matter if you know who everybody is.

I gave all the evil roles cover identities that they could use from the book. They could use them as they saw fit, some did, some didn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yangfan W.
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I'm definitely interested. Especially if the game starts this summer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea of running two games that affect each other at the same time reminds me of the idea Arkibet and I were bashing about at one stage.

It sounds like a blast to actually have a cool theme to play as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd sign up for this, esp. if it runs in August, by then I might have time to finish reading the book

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Denise wrote:
I'd sign up for this, esp. if it runs in August, by then I might have time to finish reading the book

It took me longer than that...

Though that wasn't in one go, I'll add. I'm not that slow a reader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Fritz
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved Snow Crash (and would have played in the Snow Crash game if not for a timing conflict). So, just based on Neal Stephenson, I picked up Quicksilver. I got completely bogged down in it, and it's still sitting unfinished on the bookshelf while I've moved on to other books. Because of that, I've been wary of Stephenson's "historical fiction" novels. But seeing the support for Cyrptonomicon, I may have to give him another shot.

Anyway, all that to say: it sounds like a great idea. Whenever you do it, I'm in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
SecretSauce wrote:
I picked up Quicksilver. I got completely bogged down in it, and it's still sitting unfinished on the bookshelf while I've moved on to other books.

Same thing happened to me. Cryptonomicon is a much easier read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
SecretSauce wrote:
I loved Snow Crash (and would have played in the Snow Crash game if not for a timing conflict). So, just based on Neal Stephenson, I picked up Quicksilver. I got completely bogged down in it, and it's still sitting unfinished on the bookshelf while I've moved on to other books. Because of that, I've been wary of Stephenson's "historical fiction" novels. But seeing the support for Cyrptonomicon, I may have to give him another shot.

It is not light reading, that is for sure.

I believe I read some other books during the time that I read Quicksilver. I think by the time I got the the 3rd one, all other books were forsaken. And reading anyone else afterwards seemed awkward and their styles seemed clumsy.

But not a light read for a rainy afternoon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I'm about 100 pages into this book now. I MUST play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Merced
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
One of my favorite books. And I am absolutely in awe of the work you put into Snow Crash. So, I'd be very interested, but it might be too complex a game for me. Maybe by the time it's ready, I will be too.

Game 1 affecting Game 2 is an excellent idea.

How heavy will you delve into the crypto? It would be a fascinating element (to me) but it's probably not possible for the players to have the time to actually DO any, even IF they had the inclination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Lavely
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GrimJester wrote:
How heavy will you delve into the crypto? It would be a fascinating element (to me) but it's probably not possible for the players to have the time to actually DO any, even IF they had the inclination.

Oh, I dunno. There have been a great number of WW games already where people have used various codes and ciphers. I'd kinda like to see a certain amount of it in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GrimJester wrote:
One of my favorite books. And I am absolutely in awe of the work you put into Snow Crash. So, I'd be very interested, but it might be too complex a game for me. Maybe by the time it's ready, I will be too.

Game 1 affecting Game 2 is an excellent idea.

gj, i'm sure you could handle it. i can't imagine it would be too complex for you.

you better sign up, homeboy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Merced
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Re: Crytponomicon - Signup & Discussion - Tentative for Augu
Bump.

I'll happily play either era but favor WWII.

Good excuse for another re-read.

-----BEGIN PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----
mQBtAzTw3rcAAAEDAKZxjAepVXlQyyBb5+CS+n1Es7sg9HyDdo3v
ititlXIRxfBsSqThisJ/yCz9kEhvsJJq/3ygZAeZeAQK1u4dUISk
+/GACq0kH6W8cGisYQAFEbQhUGV0ZXIgVy4gU2ltZW9uIDxzaW1l
b20+iQB1AwUQNPa89yQfpbxwbNVhAQF+CQMAlqvs3KYQhGFyP6Hj
1bUS+jgOTtpHDCsecretWtvZTr0bwkcXX7OVbEFUO+PezZxU27yj
Hgb94Yyymyq7qRmessagemHGEfpbN/b3tXmV
=C9ZG
-----END PGP PUBLIC KEY BLOCK-----

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to play, either era. But I'll have to admit I'm not much of a codebreaker...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Re: Crytponomicon - Signup & Discussion - Tentative for August
Sign me up please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Re: Crytponomicon - Signup & Discussion - Tentative for August
Sign me up! This is one of my favorite books. I've even considered using RSA encoding with short keys to pass messages in WW games but thought the moderators would probably not like it. Finally, I get my chance...

I think I'd prefer to be in the WWII era, but I would definitely take either one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'll definitely want to read the book first, but sign me up for now anyways, either era.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.